WAYALIFE Rockin Rubicon Run 2012

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just checked the weather forcast and at Loon Lake, they are looking at a high of only 60°F and a low of 40°F and with winds up to 33 MPH. At Rubicon Springs, they've been seeing temps only in the upper 50's by day and in the 30's by night with a good breeze. If you've ever been in the Sierra's under these conditions, it can be a bit miserable especially if you're doorless and topless. Fortunately for us, we're not up there right now AND, things are warming up nicely. By Wednesday, we'll be looking at day time highs in the upper 70's and night time temps in the 50's. Hopefully this pattern will continue and make our run a wonderful one :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is great can you please add me and Kevin to going list along with Don and lori:)

Yep, Lori and I are in along with Ray and his son Kevin!

Hey, aren't you guys doing the Taher 2.2 run and if so, isn't that happening on the same weekend as this run? If so, I'd be grateful if you could please let me know so that I can open up your spots for others who have never done this run. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of the breaks that you see on the Rubicon are ones that can be prevented simply by making sure your Jeep is in tip-top condition prior to you showing up at the trailhead. The following checklist has been created to help you go through your Jeep and ensure it's ready to be put to the test. These checks should be done after your last wheeling trip and PRIOR to doing the rubicon.

Rubicon Pre-Run Checklist:
1. Make sure your Jeep is current on all it's routine maintenance and fluids are at capacity (i.e. oil changed, differentials serviced with visual check done, transmission/transfer case serviced, air filter clean, radiator full, brake fluid level full, etc.)
2. Check all your U-joints for any signs of cracks, rusting around the yokes/bearing caps and missing c-clips if you have them. If you haven't replaced your U-joints in over 2 years, you should pull your shafts and check them by hand or just replace them as a part of normal maintenance.
3. Check the splines on your axle shafts to see if there's any twisting in them. Replace as needed.
4. Check your ball joints and tie-rod ends.
5. Torque all your suspension and steering component bolts.
6. Torque your lug nuts.
7. Grease all suspension, steering and driveline components that have provisions for greasing.
8. Check your suspension and steering mounts on the frame and axles and make sure there are no signs of cracking, tearing or fatigue. Repair as needed.
9. Check your aftermarket wiring for any signs of chaffing, crumbling, melting or wear. Replace as needed.
10. Check your battery to make sure it's in good condition and is holding a strong charge. Replace as needed.
11. Check your tires for any abnormal bulges, cuts, tears, leaks or damage. Repair or replace as needed.
12. Check your winch if you have one and verify that it works and that the rope is in good condition. Replace as needed.

So that it's clear, after going over this checklist, DO NOT plan any wheeling trips until you get to the Rubicon - I MEAN IT. The Rubicon is a demanding trail even under the best of conditions and, in an effort to make it as fun as possible, we want your rig to be as fresh and ready as possible. I really hate to be so strict about this but, if you cannot do this, I would be grateful if you could please recuse yourself from this run.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hightower

A lot of the breaks that you see on the Rubicon are ones that can be prevented simply by making sure your Jeep is in tip-top condition prior to you showing up at the trailhead. The following checklist has been created to help you go through your Jeep and ensure it's ready to be put to the test. These checks should be done after your last wheeling trip and PRIOR to doing the rubicon.

Rubicon Pre-Run Checklist:
1. Make sure your Jeep is current on all it's routine maintenance and fluids are at capacity (i.e. oil changed, differentials serviced with visual check done, transmission/transfer case serviced, air filter clean, radiator full, brake fluid level full, etc.)
2. Check all your U-joints for any signs of cracks, rusting around the yokes/bearing caps and missing c-clips if you have them. If you haven't replaced your U-joints in over 2 years, you should pull your shafts and check them by hand or just replace them as a part of normal maintenance.
3. Check the splines on your axle shafts to see if there's any twisting in them. Replace as needed.
4. Check your ball joints and tie-rod ends.
5. Torque all your suspension and steering component bolts.
6. Torque your lug nuts.
7. Grease all suspension, steering and driveline components that have provisions for greasing.
8. Check your suspension and steering mounts on the frame and axles and make sure there are no signs of cracking, tearing or fatigue. Repair as needed.
9. Check your aftermarket wiring for any signs of chaffing, crumbling, melting or wear. Replace as needed.
10. Check your battery to make sure it's in good condition and is holding a strong charge. Replace as needed.
11. Check your tires for any abnormal bulges, cuts, tears, leaks or damage. Repair or replace as needed.
12. Check your winch if you have one and verify that it works and that the rope is in good condition. Replace as needed.

So that it's clear, after going over this checklist, DO NOT plan any wheeling trips until you get to the Rubicon - I MEAN IT. The Rubicon is a demanding trail even under the best of conditions and, in an effort to make it as fun as possible, we want your rig to be as fresh and ready as possible. I really hate to be so strict about this but, if you cannot do this, I would be grateful if you could please recuse yourself from this run.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

10/4 .................

Trail Bud

Hooked
BTW - I would like this to be a NO GAG trip - seriously! I know we've had a lot of fun with this over the years but, in my opinion, it's starting to get out of control and I would be grateful if you could please leave it at home. Thank you.

Yes I agree.

JeepFan

Hooked
Eddie! Thank you for this great check list. I plan on printing it out and using it to get the Jeep ready. People know me as the guy that over maintains my vehicles and the Jeep is no exception. Consider it done!

Tony..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie! Thank you for this great check list. I plan on printing it out and using it to get the Jeep ready. People know me as the guy that over maintains my vehicles and the Jeep is no exception. Consider it done!

Tony..

:cheesy: not so worried about you my friend. in fact, it's not so much that i'm worried but rather, just wanted to make sure we can catch stupid things before they become a real problem. we've literally lost an entire day over something like a bad u-joint and would hate for something that simple to happen again.

By checking your splines do you need to pull the axle out or just the diff cover?

yes, you would need to pull your entire shaft out to inspect them.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Stealing it even though I'm not going on this run. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

Serg5000

I just came off the Rubicon today. Let me say this. For those going for their first time, this trail will change your life. Enjoy everyone.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Serg5000 said:
I just came off the Rubicon today. Let me say this. For those going for their first time, this trail will change your life. Enjoy everyone.

Best endorsement I've heard in a while. Can't wait for the trail report and pics.

I heard from a reliable source that there is now a porta-pottie located in the spillway below Buck Island Lake - can you confirm whether this is correct?

Serg5000

The only one I seen other then the ones at Rubicon springs is this one. And it's in the beginning of the trail. Not sure of what your calling the spill way.

Attachments

• image-2603281319.jpg
    image-2603281319.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 78

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just checked the weather for Loon Lake and it looks like by Sunday, we'll be seeing daytime temps in the 80's and night time temps in the 50's!! Hopefully it'll stay this way and if it does, it's gonna be awesome :wings:

Nicholas

wayoflife said:
Just checked the weather for Loon Lake and it looks like by Sunday, we'll be seeing daytime temps in the 80's and night time temps in the 50's!! Hopefully it'll stay this way and if it does, it's gonna be awesome :wings:

Oh, I'm jealous!!!

Hightower

Bad News

Sorry to say I have to drop out of this year’s Rubi run because of work related issues. I hope you all have a fantastic time. :-(

Top Bottom