RUBICAT Movin on UP to 40x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T Tires

RKJK10

Question. Do you adjust your coil overs, when you go that much larger? Can't you raise the height? Excuse me if that sounds silly, but I don't know much about coil overs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's the beauty of coilovers. If needed you can adjust the ride height for sure. In all honestly, I don't run coilovers and it's not that much of a difference going from 37s since you gain 1.5" of ground clearance and the other 1.5" fills up the wheel well. Proper bumpstops and an angle grinder to trim the pinch seams and whatnot is what's needed

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
For a 40? I honestly don't know. Well before they were released, Cooper did ask my opinion about wheel size and I did let them know that 20 would be a better fit but everyone is running 17's these days. They do offer a 20 for the 37's.
:

Well that would be awesome but for now I'll just have to wait! Thank you!

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dshots

What tire can you get the most out of? Looking for longevity, replacing them is brutal on my wallet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great upgrade we all know it thanks to awesome reviewes from you guys:)
My coopers are not that far away :) :)

I'm glad to hear you trust my review and honestly, I think you're gonna love them. :yup:

I guess the question now is who's gonna do the LS swap once the 3.6 gets sick of pushing 40's...

:cheesy: Motech of course :thumb:

Question. Do you adjust your coil overs, when you go that much larger? Can't you raise the height? Excuse me if that sounds silly, but I don't know much about coil overs.

Not silly at all. You can adjust the pre-load on your coil overs to give you more height but that won't be necessary for us. You're seeing the new 40's unmounted. Once they're on the wheels and installed on Rubicat, there should be more than enough room under the fenders.

What tire can you get the most out of? Looking for longevity, replacing them is brutal on my wallet.

So far, these new Coopers are wearing exceptionally well especially being they hook up so great off road. That being said, it's too early for me to say for sure how they will fair in the long haul. Of all the tires I have run till they've needed to be replaced, BFG's seem to last the longest.

JAGS

Hooked
Seeing Rubicat grow up so fast is a bit like seeing your child grow up. A bit sad and a bit exciting at the same time.

Rubicat on 37s and C/Os was what got me into the Jeep game when you got her and posted the thread of her at ORE. Back in '12, where'd the time go.

She grew up too fast. Lol.

2011jk

For those that had 40" trail grapplers just how much nosier are the coopers?
TG's are quite esp compared to Toyo's...

GONWHLN

For those that had 40" trail grapplers just how much nosier are the coopers?
TG's are quite esp compared to Toyo's...

^^^^^ Wondering this myself. making the jump to 40s soon and trying to decide between the coopers or TG's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Cooper STT Pros are more audible than the Trail Grapplers although, I wouldn't exactly call it "noisier".

GONWHLN

I'm on my second set of Km2's now in a 37". Ive been happy with how quiet and smooth they are on road. Smooth as glass at highway speeds, unbalanced on TG beadlocks. Not so happy with sidewall strength. Really wanting something with a tougher sidewall that is still smooth and highway friendly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm on my second set of Km2's now in a 37". Ive been happy with how quiet and smooth they are on road. Smooth as glass at highway speeds, unbalanced on TG beadlocks. Not so happy with sidewall strength. Really wanting something with a tougher sidewall that is still smooth and highway friendly.

Hard to beat KM2's for tread life and they are pretty quite for an MT. Sidewall strength or lack there of is definitely a downside and I have found them to not hook up as well as other tires. If "highway friendly" is your primary concern, I might stick with what you've been running or try a set of Toyo MT's. I have personally found them to be a better all around tire than a Trail Grappler, have near bulletproof sidewalls in a 37 and will not have the strong radial pull. I love these Coopers but you can definitely hear them more so than any of the tires I just mentioned. Nothing close to a Mud Grappler mind you but I'd be lying if I said they were completely quite. I have not had to balance the 37" Coopers I'm currently running, they are smooth as glass even up to 90+ MPH, so far have proven to have tough sidewalls and they perform awesome on the trail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Let the fun begin!

Just got back from Tire Plus where we had our old 37's broken down. Now it's time to install our new 40" Coopers onto our Trail Read beadlocks [emoji12]

final.jpg

mastrcruse

Those things are beasts!

I'm ordering tires this week (40-13.5-17) and will be Daily Driving my jeep.

Your thoughts on the best for a DD....these or Trail Grapplers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Those are 17" wheels yeah? Any preference between 17 and 20" wheels for 40s?

Yes, these are 17" wheels. The extra sidewall helps provide a more comfortable ride but honestly, if I had a choice, I'd take a 20" wheel with a 40" tire as it's a much better fit and it allows me to corner a lot faster.

Those things are beasts!

I'm ordering tires this week (40-13.5-17) and will be Daily Driving my jeep.

Your thoughts on the best for a DD....these or Trail Grapplers?

Both are great tires especially in a 40. I'm not as fond of the Trail Grapplers in a 37 as it really is a completely different tire. I personally feel that the Cooper STT Pros hook up better on the rocks but are a bit more audible on pavement. Also, the Coopers don't have the strong radial pull to the left that the Trail Grapplers do. I daily drive my Jeeps and I prefer the Coopers.

It sucks these weren't available when you installed the XD60 and new TR Beadlocks a couple months ago...:crazyeyes:

You're telling me! Damn national back order made me do this job twice :doh:

Top Bottom