ARB Fridge/Freezer

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since you're going with a topper have you looked into these from Costco? They're pretty cheap compared to the others. It's what I've been looking at for awhile now considering I'm not sure how often I'd used it.

Massimo E-cooler
Holy hell, that's cheap!! I may have to look into this thing a bit to see if it'll kill a battery if left on.

EDIT - I see that it does protect a battery (y)

jesse3638

Hooked
Holy hell, that's cheap!! I may have to look into this thing a bit to see if it'll kill a battery if left on.

EDIT - I see that it does protect a battery (y)
Yeah they are cheap and they even have a couple new ones which are a smart version with one that is over 100qts and is controlled by your phone. That one is $769. Still cheaper than an ARB

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Did you order with the factory power hook ups? I did and for that reason will be installing the ARB power hookup on the opposite side.

Does anyone know if the ARB plug/wire kit is long enough to reach the back of the bed?

And at first I was like WTF they arnt that tall. But I forgot you installed a deck back there. 👍
Hmm. Not sure. Do you mean the 110 in the bed? Or is it something else?

In any event, the ARB fridge wiring kit is plenty long enough to go to the passenger rear of the bed. I’m not sure it is long enough to go to the driver’s rear but should be able to answer that question this weekend.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

In any event, the ARB fridge wiring kit is plenty long enough to go to the passenger rear of the bed. I’m not sure it is long enough to go to the driver’s rear but should be able to answer that question this weekend.
That's good to know. Been meaning to hardwire my ARB as well for a while now.

Yep. The 110.
I figure keep the factory 110 Where it’s at and install the arb across on the drivers side.

Andy5160

Hooked
Does anyone know or owns Dometic CFX 3 55 IM. I really like to have an ice option so this is something that swaying me towards this model.

Please comment.

Thank you

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Yep. The 110.
I figure keep the factory 110 Where it’s at and install the arb across on the drivers side.
Black wire on the ground is the ARB kit. It should be long enough to drop from the battery, snake inside the frame, and come up to the passenger’s side. I don’t think there is enough extra to get to the driver’s side.

Attachments

• D9C9483B-3CA2-466E-9F76-FD9CC17489ED.jpeg
    D9C9483B-3CA2-466E-9F76-FD9CC17489ED.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 7

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I might just put it on the passenger side, then run heavier gauge wire to the driver’s side for the dual ARB compressor I’m going to try to squeeze into the Decked ammo can.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know or owns Dometic CFX 3 55 IM. I really like to have an ice option so this is something that swaying me towards this model.

Please comment.

Thank you
Dometic makes great fridges. If I had a need for a new fridge, I'd be giving it a harder look.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m might just put it on the passenger side, then run heavier gauge wire to the driver’s side for the dual ARB compressor I’m going to try to squeeze into the Decked ammo can.
How do you plan to secure your fridge to the Deck?

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Seriously considering getting a fridge very soon so I’ll be following this thread pretty closely. I’m thinking I’m gonna go with a rack eventually though, so a tonneau is out. That leaves my only option to getting an elements fridge. I think in another thread I was thinking about using nutserts to secure the slide to the bed, but also be easily removable when I need the bed space. I found a slide mount that connects to the factory cargo rails. Might give that a try. For power, I’m thinking of just taking the factory plug out. It really can’t power much for my needs beyond an air mattress pump. If it were able to be used without the truck being on, and if it had heavy enough gauge wire, I’d probably try to run the fridge from it. Sadly it’s not the case.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks Eddie i been looking into that model for some time now overall reviews are good so i may as well pull the trigger
I thought about buying one when I got my second arb, only thing I don’t like is the way it opens. If you have it on the driver side rear seat it’s perfect but in the back I feel like it would be a pain to get to. Especially on a Tuffy deck or similar.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about buying one when I got my second arb, only thing I don’t like is the way it opens. If you have it on the driver side rear seat it’s perfect but in the back I feel like it would be a pain to get to. Especially on a Tuffy deck or similar.
Yup, this is true. Being that I always carry my fridge on the driver side of Moby and Jet, it wouldn't be a problem. But if I didn't, I could see how it would be a pain.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Definitely interested in seeing what y’all do on mounting options. I was looking into just sticking it behind the drivers seat like I did in my JK. Only issue though is when I need that seat...

jeeeep

Hooked

Please comment.

Thank you
I've got a couple of Dometic, CFX 40W & CC40, the CC40 is smaller and great for keeping things cold.
I bought the CFX40 to replace the ARB 47 for the height and the enclosed tray on the ARB doesn't cool worth a shit.
The Dometic enclosed tray is on the opposite end of the ARB but it doesn't cool worth a shit either but I guess it's because on both, the enclosed tray is what covers the compressor.
I've thought about cutting the enclosed portions out so it allows more air flow and cooling.
I like the idea of a freeze plate and being removeable I wonder if it can keep other things frozen or at least very cool
All have been reliable. I find I use the CC40 more on the short trips.

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks. If its a bother don't sweat it. I thought that's how it worked but wasn't sure.
Hmmm. So the ARB uses a dedicated plug with heavy gauge wires run straight to the battery but the Dometic uses a plain ole cigarette lighter? 🤔 If Dometic does in fact make the fridges for ARB, and I don't know that for a fact but it would make sense, wonder why the difference?
Dometic uses the same hardwire kit as ARB, the Dometic specific one has 2-12v plugs, screw-in type same as ARB and regular 12v lighter type
both use 20 ft. 10AWG Cable, 15A fuse

Last edited:
Top Bottom