The Official I Hate wayoflife / Eddie Thread

Wardell

Recreational Outrage

Hi Eddie. I know I'm new here, and this isn't exactly what I pictured making my first post about (I'll post a proper wave shortly), but with all these shenanigans starting just after I signed up I thought I may as well give my take on it.

This whole thing reminds me of a term I've heard mentioned on another forum by someone who found himself in a similar situation as you, with a lot of unjustified hate directed towards him: Recreational Outrage. Here's a definition I found, which sums it up pretty concisely:

RO -- "Recreational Outrage" describes when a poster expresses righteous indignation and gets highly worked up (outraged) over some issue, typically some news occurrence that is completely irrelevant to the person’s own life and has no effect on that poster personally. The poster derives (recreational) satisfaction from expressing outrage and moral indignation, frequently including a sense of moral superiority, thus differentiating Recreational Outrage from other forms of outrage.

This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened on the internet, and sadly it's not the last...

These people who get off on posting hate just for the sake of posting hate, even though the vast majority of them wouldn't think of saying this sort of thing in person, really need a better hobby. Maybe they should turn off their computer and go take their Jeep for a drive through nature with a few friends. After all, isn't that what this forum and others like it are really about?

There's really no good way to deal with these trolls, other than laughing at their antics, sharing what they have said so their own words can shame them (not that they would feel the shame, considering they're looking for a false sense of moral superiority), and banning them when they start doing any real damage (threats, showing a severe lack of integrity, etc) - which is basically what you're already doing. You could tell them to take their recreational outrage elsewhere, but that would just be feeding the trolls and wouldn't change anything...

I'm sure you don't need me to say it, but keep doing what you're doing. Your videos are one of the things that helped convince me to buy a Jeep in the first place. Unlike a lot of others out there, they weren't just about "look at my shiny built up rig and all the stuff I can run over..." (although let's face it, it's part of owning a Jeep and seriously getting into the hobby). It also wasn't just about the sponsors that support the forum and JK-Experience trips (something the "free parts and money" haters seem quick to overlook). What made them stand out was that the videos were about a community of Jeepers and the fun you have had together. That's something missing from a lot of the other Jeep groups out there, and that echos in their associated forums. Even if it weren't for the hate, it kinda seems like they are missing the point.

Also, I had been thinking about getting the Teraflex tire carrier and 2.5" lift (either a budget boost or spring lift). After seeing the pics you shared about the breaks by the tire carrier, I've decided against that. It's not hate or "brand shaming" to simply post pics of things that actually happened, particularly when it comes to safety like this. I've also read your favourable review / install write up on their budget boost, but after seeing Dennis' comments on FB I've pretty much changed my mind on their products altogether. Sure, I get what he's saying about mounting the tire tight to the tailgate to cut down on metal fatiguing vibrations (I think it was mentioned in his install video), but there's obviously way more going on than that. You don't need to be an engineer to see it, and I don't need to be blamed for an install error or basically called a dummy that needs to be "taken care of." Yeah... I'll take my money elsewhere, your loss.

And by the way, these haters have nothing on the real player haters (I wish I could find this in better quality, but hate, hate, hate...)

http://www.blackbottom.com/watch.php?v=575a71817687186bc55b215d10b5b7ee941b4acb

JaySC

I don't know who Black Widow JK is but Jake and I offered our two cents today. Can't believe the hate is still going on...people seriously have nothing better to do. This was in response to some stupid meme about Eddie trolling companies that won't give him free parts.

uploadfromtaptalk1412840806329.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412840794594.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412840781805.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412840768644.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412840747692.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412840712013.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412840680558.jpg

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm actually a little sad that we have to wait ten months for the chance to meet Mr. Chris Butler in person at the next Hot August Nights in Reno.

Maybe we can have a meet and greet outside of the federal courthouse since Mr. Butler's internet threats may result in him getting a "special" tour inside.

Edit: Wait, am I confusing my losers? :thinking: Is it Butler that is coming to HAN or a different one?

Last edited:

JaySC

I have no idea...honestly, I'm not familiar with all the losers and usually stay out of the drama. In this case, I saw a FB notification indicating Jake commented on a hater post, so I checked it out. Given the disgusting remarks made lately, I thought I'd chime in.

pastorwug

Just had a friend send this to me.

View attachment 104732

Apparently, it's that Chris Buttler guy that said he wanted me "to die in a fire" and that he wanted to "bring his peace with him to Carson City and stick it up my ass" followed by a question as to verify that I still "lived on Clearview". For those of you who don't know, he is referring to my son.

All this because I posted up a photo and made a post on Facebook that potentially showed a manufacture in a bad light.

If this demi-god tool is actually an FFL license holder there are many ways to call him to account for his threats and language.
The BATF has a pretty hands-on approach to violent people possessing licenses to sell firearms. :twocents:

It's just wrong the way he is threatening Eddie, his son and Cindy.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Somebody needs to report the guy to the ATF or other proper authorities. People like this guy are the ones that give the rest of us non violent, non threatening gun owners the violent image that liberals say we possess.

JRoc

Seriously...

Eddie,

Like most of us here, we find it fun/funny to kick a troll around and call out the bullshit. So, generally I take it all with a grain of salt. However, when some a**hole wants to bring your child and wife into it, not only is it pathetic, but it does change the dynamics of the situation. I wonder....how many friends/acquaintances you have with tactical/police/military specialties. If there ever ends up being any legitimicy to these threats, you know you have people you can turn to that would be willing to "assist" you with this. Standing up for our own is one thing... standing up for our innocent children would certainly be of no second thought. Keep it in mind.

Peace brother.

untitled 1.png

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Eddie. I know I'm new here, and this isn't exactly what I pictured making my first post about (I'll post a proper wave shortly), but with all these shenanigans starting just after I signed up I thought I may as well give my take on it.

This whole thing reminds me of a term I've heard mentioned on another forum by someone who found himself in a similar situation as you, with a lot of unjustified hate directed towards him: Recreational Outrage. Here's a definition I found, which sums it up pretty concisely:

RO -- "Recreational Outrage" describes when a poster expresses righteous indignation and gets highly worked up (outraged) over some issue, typically some news occurrence that is completely irrelevant to the person’s own life and has no effect on that poster personally. The poster derives (recreational) satisfaction from expressing outrage and moral indignation, frequently including a sense of moral superiority, thus differentiating Recreational Outrage from other forms of outrage.

This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened on the internet, and sadly it's not the last...

These people who get off on posting hate just for the sake of posting hate, even though the vast majority of them wouldn't think of saying this sort of thing in person, really need a better hobby. Maybe they should turn off their computer and go take their Jeep for a drive through nature with a few friends. After all, isn't that what this forum and others like it are really about?

There's really no good way to deal with these trolls, other than laughing at their antics, sharing what they have said so their own words can shame them (not that they would feel the shame, considering they're looking for a false sense of moral superiority), and banning them when they start doing any real damage (threats, showing a severe lack of integrity, etc) - which is basically what you're already doing. You could tell them to take their recreational outrage elsewhere, but that would just be feeding the trolls and wouldn't change anything...

I'm sure you don't need me to say it, but keep doing what you're doing. Your videos are one of the things that helped convince me to buy a Jeep in the first place. Unlike a lot of others out there, they weren't just about "look at my shiny built up rig and all the stuff I can run over..." (although let's face it, it's part of owning a Jeep and seriously getting into the hobby). It also wasn't just about the sponsors that support the forum and JK-Experience trips (something the "free parts and money" haters seem quick to overlook). What made them stand out was that the videos were about a community of Jeepers and the fun you have had together. That's something missing from a lot of the other Jeep groups out there, and that echos in their associated forums. Even if it weren't for the hate, it kinda seems like they are missing the point.

Also, I had been thinking about getting the Teraflex tire carrier and 2.5" lift (either a budget boost or spring lift). After seeing the pics you shared about the breaks by the tire carrier, I've decided against that. It's not hate or "brand shaming" to simply post pics of things that actually happened, particularly when it comes to safety like this. I've also read your favourable review / install write up on their budget boost, but after seeing Dennis' comments on FB I've pretty much changed my mind on their products altogether. Sure, I get what he's saying about mounting the tire tight to the tailgate to cut down on metal fatiguing vibrations (I think it was mentioned in his install video), but there's obviously way more going on than that. You don't need to be an engineer to see it, and I don't need to be blamed for an install error or basically called a dummy that needs to be "taken care of." Yeah... I'll take my money elsewhere, your loss.

And by the way, these haters have nothing on the real player haters (I wish I could find this in better quality, but hate, hate, hate...)

http://www.blackbottom.com/watch.php?v=575a71817687186bc55b215d10b5b7ee941b4acb

Thank you for the kind note, I really appreciate it and I'm glad to have you as a part of this community. All I can do is show what I have seen and heard from people like Dennis at TeraFlex. It's really up to everyone to decide for themselves whether or not to take it or leave it. How anyone could turn any of this into a reason to hate and to the level of threatening my family is simply mind blowing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know who Black Widow JK is but Jake and I offered our two cents today. Can't believe the hate is still going on...people seriously have nothing better to do. This was in response to some stupid meme about Eddie trolling companies that won't give him free parts.

Thank you. I'll have to let Jake know as well. I really do appreciate it. While there are a lot of people who won't tolerate the BS on the forum, most prefer not to get involved on Facebook.

Isn't black widow jk that ludski kid?

It wouldn't surprise me. :rolleyes2:

I'm actually a little sad that we have to wait ten months for the chance to meet Mr. Chris Buttler in person at the next Hot August Nights in Reno.

Maybe we can have a meet and greet outside of the federal courthouse since Mr. Butler's internet threats may result in him getting a "special" tour inside.

If this demi-god tool is actually an FFL license holder there are many ways to call him to account for his threats and language.
The BATF has a pretty hands-on approach to violent people possessing licenses to sell firearms. :twocents:

It's just wrong the way he is threatening Eddie, his son and Cindy.

As I suspected, Chris Butler is a current FFL license holder with the BATF.
Public records reveal more information at the BATF regarding him than I would think he would want us to know.

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/listing-FFLs

You know, I really am all for gun rights and am glad that I live in Nevada because of it but really... how in the world does a guy like this have an FFL... in a state like California?? :rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do these people just not realize the repercussions that will come for this? Blows my mind they think no one will figure anything on with today's technology

Looking at this guy's post history over on Pirate, I don't think he even owns an off road vehicle let alone a Jeep. He pretty much is there just to sell gun stuff and has been doing it for a very long time. In fact, I just got the following from a friend who's been looking into this guy as well. Apparently, he's had a hard on for me for quite some time. This is a screen shot taken back in 2008, back when the former owners of Pirate were trying to take me down...

2008.jpg

Back then, the OWNERS of Pirate were posting up my home address, phone numbers, etc. :rolleyes2:

Somebody needs to report the guy to the ATF or other proper authorities. People like this guy are the ones that give the rest of us non violent, non threatening gun owners the violent image that liberals say we possess.

Like I said, I am 100% for gun rights but I can't get my head around how a guy like this has an FFL.

Eddie,

Like most of us here, we find it fun/funny to kick a troll around and call out the bullshit. So, generally I take it all with a grain of salt. However, when some a**hole wants to bring your child and wife into it, not only is it pathetic, but it does change the dynamics of the situation. I wonder....how many friends/acquaintances you have with tactical/police/military specialties. If there ever ends up being any legitimicy to these threats, you know you have people you can turn to that would be willing to "assist" you with this. Standing up for our own is one thing... standing up for our innocent children would certainly be of no second thought. Keep it in mind.

Peace brother.

View attachment 104761

Thank you, I really do appreciate it.

pastorwug

You know, I really am all for gun rights and am glad that I live in Nevada because of it but really... how in the world does a guy like this have an FFL... in a state like California?? :rolleyes2:

Actually, if this is the same Chris C BUTLER listed in the FFL database his FFL is registered in Plymouth, New Hampshire.

EDIT: Correction necessary, he is an FFL in California.

Last edited:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Just one question: is this thread cutting into valuable time that could be better spent getting the new JK Experience video done?

Top Bottom