6.4-liter V-8 JL Wrangler Rubicon 392 - How much would you be willing to spend?

JK_0311

I dunno about all the dodge hate. I have a few Ford mechanic friends who swear by Ford trucks, own Ford trucks and have more problems with their Ford trucks than I have had with dodges and those I know with dodges. When I bring this up, they simply laugh it off and quote job security.

I think maybe there is a perception issue with dodge rams, the only problem I have encountered were spark plugs around 90k miles. Even my 05 Cummins with the shit transmission lasted well into the 250k mile range with the next owner last I checked without issue.

I guess Ford owners just have to justify the price they buy their trucks at.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JT@623

Hooked
I dunno about all the dodge hate. I have a few Ford mechanic friends who swear by Ford trucks, own Ford trucks and have more problems with their Ford trucks than I have had with dodges and those I know with dodges. When I bring this up, they simply laugh it off and quote job security.

I think maybe there is a perception issue with dodge rams, the only problem I have encountered were spark plugs around 90k miles. Even my 05 Cummins with the shit transmission lasted well into the 250k mile range with the next owner last I checked without issue.

I guess Ford owners just have to justify the price they buy their trucks at.

I’ve got a 19 Ram 3500 with the HO Cummins and Aisin trans and it tows like a champ . Had an early 6.7 ford after two turbos I gave up . Seems all brands have issues I think it’s luck of the draw anymore.

benatc1

Hooked
Everything is junk when it's broke, everything breaks eventually, sure, some more than others but I doubt you could actually quantify this across the board and see much of an outlier. I've had great experience with Dodge/Ram for years, seen more Chevy's shit the bed, but I also know people who havent had a single issue with Chevy's. So probably more luck of the draw

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

My 94 Dodge Ram with the 360 Magnum ran over 450k before I traded it in. My Ford E350 with a 5.4L is still going strong at 480k. My Lincoln Navigator shit the bed at 120k and we had several Chevy vans for work trucks that had engines blow and wheels fall off on the freeway at 50k. Toyotas we had ran 500k every time.

All that being said, I'll take a Dodge any time I can.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

FFPulley77

Hooked
Not too much of a brand loyalist, but I’ve had a 95 GMC Sierra 1500 that went to 270,000 miles with minimal issues. a 2008 Ram 1500 that I drove to 90,000 with no issues then traded for a 2012 JKU that had to have the heads replaced at 12,000. Traded that in on a 2013 GMC Sierra that went to around 150,000 with no issues then traded that on a 2018 Nissan Titan (my favorite truck I’ve owned). Now I’m in a 2013 JK because I wanted a Jeep more than I needed personal truck (I have a 2016 Tundra as a company truck). I’ll eventually get another Titan when I want another personal truck that I’ll tow my JK with.

I feel like the rest of y’all. It all depends on the luck of the draw. I still get shit from all my friends about the Titan, they’re all Ford brand whores.

JK_0311

lol, nothing gets folks riled up easier than pokin at their brand of vehicle.

Agreed! I should have made my comment less serious. I really believe all brands have +/- and we are all just fans to certain auto makers to some extent.

Case in point, most of us here probably favor Jeeps...regardless of any flaws we care to admit/refuse to acknowledge.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Still cheaper than buying a fully loaded Rubicon and then taking it to get a 392 dropped in it. Not to mention the warranty and that most people will just finance it

The financing part is where Jeep wins with the 392. Otherwise, there was an Autoblog article that did a pretty good job of pointing out that the 392 is essentially a $48k Rubicon with a V8. In other words, you could totally do an LT swap for about the same money but of course, you couldn't or wouldn't want to finance that.

benatc1

Hooked
The financing part is where Jeep wins with the 392. Otherwise, there was an Autoblog article that did a pretty good job of pointing out that the 392 is essentially a $48k Rubicon with a V8. In other words, you could totally do an LT swap for about the same money but of course, you couldn't or wouldn't want to finance that.
Shit I'll probably be one of them lol, I'll have to check out that article. Then add a factory warranty on top.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Shit I'll probably be one of them lol, I'll have to check out that article. Then add a factory warranty on top.

Of course, the factory warranty will only cover factory parts. This is still good being that the engine and transmission will be covered and shouldn't have any problems but if you decide to run bigger tires, you'll most likely need to replace the factory Dana 44s, drive lines and maybe even transfer case.

benatc1

Hooked
Of course, the factory warranty will only cover factory parts. This is still good being that the engine and transmission will be covered and shouldn't have any problems but if you decide to run bigger tires, you'll most likely need to replace the factory Dana 44s, drive lines and maybe even transfer case.

That's a good point, I guess that's all part of the deal anyway in many of our cases. I feel like if a hemi is your future how can you go wrong starting factory instead of aftermarket (unless your already built prior to release), but curious to see how places like MoTech handle the market with regards to what they bring to the table as a viable option

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good point, I guess that's all part of the deal anyway in many of our cases. I feel like if a hemi is your future how can you go wrong starting factory instead of aftermarket (unless your already built prior to release), but curious to see how places like MoTech handle the market with regards to what they bring to the table as a viable option

Oh yeah, I am in no ways suggesting that getting a 392 from the factory is a bad thing. It just needs to be see with eyes wide open. Hell, I want one. :crazyeyes: As far as MoTech goes, they have an LT in their JL now but it is my understanding that they will not be pursuing a kit for it. Or at least, not at this time and specifically because of the 392.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
That was my concern, if you went with UD60s on a new 392 Rubicon, isn't the transfer case different from the current JL Rubicon? And why wouldn't you go with an Atlas at that point?

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom