6.4-liter V-8 JL Wrangler Rubicon 392 - How much would you be willing to spend?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Well, the Bronco still only has a 2.7 EcoBoost...I was really hoping they were also going to build a Raptor slayer...sigh...

The 2.7 Turbo with the 10 Speed is awesome... I daily drive that motor in my truck... loaded & unloaded it performs great.. I wish it was in my Jeep.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
The 2.7 Turbo with the 10 Speed is awesome... I daily drive that motor in my truck... loaded & unloaded it performs great.. I wish it was in my Jeep.

I have a F150 4x4 with the 10 speed and the 5.0 we love it. My wife drives it more than me.
Love to have that engine and transmission in my JKU [emoji51]

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Even if they don't abandon SRT (most likely will), I don't think there was ever any plans for a 392 in a JT. The 392 Wrangler was intended to be a Bronco fighter.

Fuck... I really wanted to see it in the JT

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

So...it looks like the French may be abandoning the SRT division, which means no 392 in a JT (bummer). I am now leaning towards getting a 392 JL (most likely pre-owned) and going with an earlier idea to build it out as a two door truck...similar to Sandstorm.

I like this👍

If I could guess, it'll most likely have power pulled out of it in specific situations that would otherwise destroy the drive train. They've done something similar on the diesel but in regards to towing and to prevent overheating. So, I'll bet it could handle 37's. That being said, it would have been nicer if they just beefed the the axles and drive shafts but of course, that would have made the 392 a six figure Wrangler.

I'm sure you are right, and am also sure that would end up being aggravating to someone like me.

As for the axles, the cost would not have been that much, as the difference in manufacturing cost between the Dana 44 imposter and the UD 60s is not that great.

That said, the selling price would be, as they would likely milk it for all they could get. I suspect it would be cheaper in the long run to put the bigger axles in than to deal with all of the coming warranty claims.
Oh, they will probably find a way to decline most of those claims, do maybe not.

For what I want, I will have to do what Brute is contemplating, and that's not in the budget for me, yet.

J&k_Overland

The price tag with the amount of comprises that is involved in the 392 as well as a new Jeep in general have persuaded me to abandon the idea of a new. Gonna throw money at the YJ and TJ instead.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Weird, you can’t order dual tops with half doors, hard top only.

It's a packing issue. You can ONLY order half doors WITH full doors. There's no exception. And, the half doors completely fill the inside of the Jeep, floor to ceiling. There simply is no room for the soft top to fit in there.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
It's a packing issue. You can ONLY order half doors WITH full doors. There's no exception. And, the half doors completely fill the inside of the Jeep, floor to ceiling. There simply is no room for the soft top to fit in there.

Fucking stupid, have the box on hand a the dealer. No half doors on the JT yet either.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fucking stupid, have the box on hand a the dealer.

LOL - the problem of how to get the top to the dealership would still be a problem. Jeep like to ship everything inside sold vehicles. I got dual tops on my JL and can tell you that the soft top box was stupid HUGE. This, unlike the JK before.

No half doors on the JT yet either.

People who ordered JL's with half doors back in October of last year are JUST now getting them delivered. I think it'll be a while for the JT.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
LOL - the problem of how to get the top to the dealership would still be a problem. Jeep like to ship everything inside sold vehicles. I got dual tops on my JL and can tell you that the soft top box was stupid HUGE. This, unlike the JK before.

People who ordered JL's with half doors back in October of last year are JUST now getting them delivered. I think it'll be a while for the JT.

FedEx freight that shit. Soft tops are stupid expensive to buy separate outside the dual top group.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
FedEx freight that shit. Soft tops are stupid expensive to buy separate outside the dual top group.

LOL - that would make too much sense and be too easy. Gotta get people spending more, just like with the half doors. Long gone are the days when full doors and a hard top was an option and not a requirement.

WJCO

Meme King
No half doors on the JT yet either.

No half door option for dual tops when I ordered mine. [emoji17]

I have a feeling the half doors for the JT will be the exact same for the front, but the rear's going to be different. Otherwise it would like like shit because the 'C pillar' area on the JT doesn't line up the same as the JL. I can't wait to see what they come up with though.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Even if they don't abandon SRT (most likely will), I don't think there was ever any plans for a 392 in a JT. The 392 Wrangler was intended to be a Bronco fighter.

I can see where you say that. The only hope I still hold, is seeing the 392 in the Grand Wagoneer. That was a bit surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
If I could guess, it'll most likely have power pulled out of it in specific situations that would otherwise destroy the drive train. They've done something similar on the diesel but in regards to towing and to prevent overheating. So, I'll bet it could handle 37's. That being said, it would have been nicer if they just beefed the the axles and drive shafts but of course, that would have made the 392 a six figure Wrangler.
You are spot on, it would have been 6 figures for sure.

It doesn't really have much torque management. The full time 4x4 (NOT AWD!!!!) does a great job throwing power to the front if you are really flogging on it. I was amazed how easy it was doing 4 wheel drifts on dry pavement leaving my sub last time I brought one home. It's a fun ride.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I like this[emoji106]

I'm sure you are right, and am also sure that would end up being aggravating to someone like me.

As for the axles, the cost would not have been that much, as the difference in manufacturing cost between the Dana 44 imposter and the UD 60s is not that great.

That said, the selling price would be, as they would likely milk it for all they could get. I suspect it would be cheaper in the long run to put the bigger axles in than to deal with all of the coming warranty claims.
Oh, they will probably find a way to decline most of those claims, do maybe not.

For what I want, I will have to do what Brute is contemplating, and that's not in the budget for me, yet.
You cannot compare aftermarket and oem. For an oem to develop an all new set of "Dana 60s", tool them up, validate them, etc is tens of millions of dollars. Now take that cost and divide by low volume and it would be extremely expensive. Plus for regs you end up with narrow 60s that wouldnt fit large tires (40s etc) without big backspacing, crappy scrub, etc due to fender laws, impact height, etc etc. Oem world is an entirely different animal. It is cheaper to buy a brand new set of crate axles and sell the stock ones than it would be to have the oem folks try and put them in. The costs are insane.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

You can't just do that, that's the issue. The window sticker is a legally binding document. So the jeep has to be delivered to you at the dealer at time of sale. It would be cool if u could buy a dual top that came with a gift cert for the soft top at parts counter or something like that. But that's a whole other set of issues. The simplest problems when u dog in just become dumb, the not so fun side of oem stuff lol.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
You can't just do that, that's the issue. The window sticker is a legally binding document. So the jeep has to be delivered to you at the dealer at time of sale. It would be cool if u could buy a dual top that came with a gift cert for the soft top at parts counter or something like that. But that's a whole other set of issues. The simplest problems when u dog in just become dumb, the not so fun side of oem stuff lol.

Sounds like you need to make a call to marketing.

Top Bottom