The building of Bison

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I ended up putting a new EVAP Module in and was able to clear the Engine light. I've run two tanks of fuel thru it an it hasn't come back on. But the permanent code and the GASCAP display is still showing up on the dash. How long does it take for that permanent code to clear? Is there a reader that will clear a permanent code?
If that cleared the code and keeps it clear, the permanent code should clear out after a set amount of miles. At least, that's what I recall.
We ran into the same thing with our JK. A PERMANENT small EVAP code just wouldn't clear even after we fixed it. Ultimately, disconnecting the battery is what we had to do. Working in the automotive industry, this is the first vehicle I can recall where I had to do that. Normally the scanner will clear it.
None of that worked for me. I found online it said to turn the Jeep on and let it idle for 30 seconds, run the jee above 30 for five minutes, stop and let it idle for 30 seconds before turning it off. I did that once and it worked perfect for me.

wjtstudios

Hooked
If that cleared the code and keeps it clear, the permanent code should clear out after a set amount of miles. At least, that's what I recall.
We ran into the same thing with our JK. A PERMANENT small EVAP code just wouldn't clear even after we fixed it. Ultimately, disconnecting the battery is what we had to do. Working in the automotive industry, this is the first vehicle I can recall where I had to do that. Normally the scanner will clear it.
Thanks guys, that’s what I’ll do.

wjtstudios

Hooked
None of that worked for me. I found online it said to turn the Jeep on and let it idle for 30 seconds, run the jee above 30 for five minutes, stop and let it idle for 30 seconds before turning it off. I did that once and it worked perfect for me.
I’ll give that a shot too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, that's the cycle I was thinking of and remembered that's what you had to do.

wjtstudios

Hooked
So apparently the solution to getting rid of the permanent GASCAP code is to get the Jeep Offroad. It’s now my preferred solution, but I didn’t get a chance to try the other two.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Great shot! Glad you were able to get out and on what looks like a beautiful day!
It really turned out to be. I’ve brought another convert to the fold, I’m pretty sure Steve is going to be a new member to the Wayalife family. He’s been on a number of runs with me in my JK and now has one of his own and is fully hooked.

Top Bottom