SUPER SMALL AnyTone Smart CB Radio : 11-Meter Conversion Write-Up

enfielded0405

After you do the modification, you can only get 11-meter or standard U.S 40-channel CB frequencies. I believe you can still switch to 10-meter frequencies but only if you solder the OP1 jumpers. I am not 100% sure of this.

What if you put a switch to those pads and mounted it through the housing. Seems like you could get both 10 and 11.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

moteaux

This ^^^^

As I had stated in my original post "I hadn't really found anything that I liked or at least, at a reasonable cost". The whole point for making this post was to help people who are looking for a compact, yet "AFFORDABLE" solution.

***Edited to be more specific***

First off, I will say I agree with all you have posted. The Anytone, by all measures, looks to be a great little compact radio. And with limited mounting space in most JKs, it’s a great option and I am sure a lot of others are stoked to see it and the write up on how to convert it and use it. If my radio needs change, it will definitely be on my list of options. So thanks again!

My only reason for sharing the Stryker, that is similar in size, is that it may be an option for some people who are looking for small radios. Space is a premium in most rigs. My post wasn’t meant to be “this is a better option”. And I fully acknowledge that it is priced more, and in somewhat similar price range as the only other real competitor that I know of, until now, and that is the Cobra 75.

Many people use the Cobra 75 because it is compact/and or, it is ran by remote box hidden out of view, and they can simply unplug the mic, and prying eyes do not know that it’s in the rig. Or they just do not know what else is available, as I was until recently. But it is also a pretty marginal radio. So, this small Stryker version is just an option, in a similar price range to the Cobra that may fit the bill for people who want or need the stealth, but may be looking for upgraded performance but don’t know what’s out there in the compact radio market.

Now if it was just priced more closely to the Anytone, it could be a win all the way around.

Last edited:

Resqnu

Thanks for posting this Eddie. This will be my first cb. I have been looking for a small cb radio (uniden 520proxl) and I like the size of the Anytone. I will probably only use on the trails, but you never know. I see the Anytone comes with a small mounting bracket. Would it mount to the same location as this one?https://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_212.htm
I would like to mount the Anytone in the same location.
Another question, when buying a antenna mount for the stock spare tire carrier, should you buy one that is painted or not painted, as I see guys mention about getting a good ground?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
***Edited to be more specific***

First off, I will say I agree with all you have posted. The Anytone, by all measures, looks to be a great little compact radio. And with limited mounting space in most JKs, it’s a great option and I am sure a lot of others are stoked to see it and the write up on how to convert it and use it. If my radio needs change, it will definitely be on my list of options. So thanks again!

My only reason for sharing the Stryker, that is similar in size, is that it may be an option for some people who are looking for small radios. Space is a premium in most rigs. My post wasn’t meant to be “this is a better option”. And I fully acknowledge that it is priced more, and in somewhat similar price range as the only other real competitor that I know of, until now, and that is the Cobra 75.

Many people use the Cobra 75 because it is compact/and or, it is ran by remote box hidden out of view, and they can simply unplug the mic, and prying eyes do not know that it’s in the rig. Or they just do not know what else is available, as I was until recently. But it is also a pretty marginal radio. So, this small Stryker version is just an option, in a similar price range to the Cobra that may fit the bill for people who want or need the stealth, but may be looking for upgraded performance but don’t know what’s out there in the compact radio market.

Now if it was just priced more closely to the Anytone, it could be a win all the way around.

While you may "agree" with all I had posted as a response to you, you apparently have no clue as to why I posted this "WRITE-UP" - as in, a post explaining to others what I DID and WHY along with STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS on how they can do the same. In other words, this was NOT a general post asking for OPINIONS or other OPTIONS regarding small CB radios or what people like YOU chose to buy. For sure, there is a place for that discussion as well but I would be helpful for the purposes of this WRITE-UP if you could please conduct that on another thread or maybe even one that is started by YOU.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this Eddie. This will be my first cb. I have been looking for a small cb radio (uniden 520proxl) and I like the size of the Anytone. I will probably only use on the trails, but you never know. I see the Anytone comes with a small mounting bracket. Would it mount to the same location as this one?https://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_212.htm
Another question, when buying a antenna mount for the stock spare tire carrier, should you buy one that is painted or not painted, as I see guys mention about getting a good ground?

What I can tell you is that the AnyTone bracket is designed to be mounted up against a flat surface. The holes on top of the bracket lined up with the CB mounting slots on my EVO cage but looking at the bracket you're wanting to use, I don't see how it would bolt up to it. If anything, the AnyTone is so much smaller than what I see in the Quadratec pic that the bracket they're selling wouldn't even be needed. You should be able to just screw the AnyTone bracket to the side of your center console and it would still have a MUCH smaller footprint.

Resqnu

Thanks Eddie. That is exactly what I wanted to find out. I wanted to know if the Anytone bracket would just mount to the center console. That is the way I would like to mount it. Sorry if I didn't explain that correctly, coffee hasn't kicked in yet. I don't won't to use the Quadratec bracket, just liked the mounting location.
Any recommendations for the painted/non painted antenna mounting bracket for grounding?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. That is exactly what I wanted to find out. I wanted to know if the Anytone bracket would just mount to the center console. That is the way I would like to mount it. Sorry if I didn't explain that correctly, coffee hasn't kicked in yet. I don't won't to use the Quadratec bracket, just liked the mounting location.
Any recommendations for the painted/non painted antenna mounting bracket for grounding?

Sorry about skipping over your second question. I would get a bracket that is painted - just sand the base a bit where the mounting stud goes. That being said, the poor ground being referred to is the tailgate itself. If you install your antenna on the spare tire carrier, you really want to run a ground strap connecting the tailgate to the body. Also, make sure to get a good antenna mounting stud as it will have the NEEDED stepped nylon washer that will sit inside the hole of the mounting bracket.

ant-mount.jpg

Resqnu

Sorry about skipping over your second question. I would get a bracket that is painted - just sand the base a bit where the mounting stud goes. That being said, the poor ground being referred to is the tailgate itself. If you install your antenna on the spare tire carrier, you really want to run a ground strap connecting the tailgate to the body. Also, make sure to get a good antenna mounting stud as it will have the NEEDED stepped nylon washer that will sit inside the hole of the mounting bracket.

View attachment 272057

Thank you for the explanation. Ordering the Anytone today!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So that it isn't misunderstood. The stepped nylon washer is designed to help insulate the mounting stud from the bracket itself. You do NOT want the stud to be touching the bracket. You just want to remove a bit of the paint in this location.

ant-mount grind away location.JPG

But again, the real problem with ground is the tailgate itself. You really NEED to run a ground strap.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. I will look up the grounding strap. Any recommendations on where to mount them the ground strap?

You'll have to drill a hole in your tailgate and on your tub to mount the strap. You can run it along side the wiring that's already there and zip tie them together to hold it in place.

Resqnu

You'll have to drill a hole in your tailgate and on your tub to mount the strap. You can run it along side the wiring that's already there and zip tie them together to hold it in place.

Thanks, Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your help on this. Didn't mean to de-rail the thread.

moteaux

While you may "agree" with all I had posted as a response to you, you apparently have no clue as to why I posted this "WRITE-UP" - as in, a post explaining to others what I DID and WHY along with STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS on how they can do the same. In other words, this was NOT a general post asking for OPINIONS or other OPTIONS regarding small CB radios or what people like YOU chose to buy. For sure, there is a place for that discussion as well but I would be helpful for the purposes of this WRITE-UP if you could please conduct that on another thread or maybe even one that is started by YOU.

Hey Eddie

Good point and the point is well taken. I was in no way trying to hijack. I was just thinking about small radios and good that there are more great options like the Anytone you posted Not everybody has the skill time or patience to learn like you and others on here and the write ups are great for that.

I guess I thought I was being helpful for those that see this feel they can't do it or need another option. So sorry for that.

You are correct that the thread should have been about that write up only and didn't mean to detract from that at all. So if you feel it detracts from the intent of the thread, please remove or I can delete my posts. No offense taken.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

For the stock carrier, the Rugged Ridge antenna bracket works great, and it is well made. I did scrap a little powder coating off, to ensure a good ground.

Resqnu

For the stock carrier, the Rugged Ridge antenna bracket works great, and it is well made. I did scrap a little powder coating off, to ensure a good ground.

Thanks, was just looking at the Rugged Ridge and the Teraflex one. What type of coax cable? I see one with the fire ring and others with PL fittings.

Resqnu

So that it isn't misunderstood. The stepped nylon washer is designed to help insulate the mounting stud from the bracket itself. You do NOT want the stud to be touching the bracket. You just want to remove a bit of the paint in this location.

View attachment 272058

But again, the real problem with ground is the tailgate itself. You really NEED to run a ground strap.

Thanks again, Anytone ordered and may be here today. I have found the antenna stud in the pic you posted. Looking at a Rugged Ridge or Teraflex antenna mount for stock carrier. Do you guys recommend the PL/PL or fire ring coax cable? Guess I can make my own grounding strap, as I haven't found one on line.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks, was just looking at the Rugged Ridge and the Teraflex one. What type of coax cable? I see one with the fire ring and others with PL fittings.

Also, an FYI, Mopar has a complete kit with antenna, bracket, and cable strictly for the JK. We use it on our JK and it seems to work fine. I think we got ours on eBay for around 60 bucks.

Looks just like this. Comes with 18 foot of COAX.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom