SUPER SMALL AnyTone Smart CB Radio : 11-Meter Conversion Write-Up

2011jk

Glad you did the write up, I posted about this little CB a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to use it as the JK is still apart.
Look forward to your review using it on a trail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you did the write up, I posted about this little CB a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to use it as the JK is still apart.
Look forward to your review using it on a trail.

Yeah, it was your post that finally got me to pull the trigger. Like you, I had seen the positive reviews but was I turned off by the idea of having to modify it. I'm glad I decided to give it a try anyway being that the mod was pretty easy to do. I hope to put it to the test soon.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I like this radio. I love my Cobra 75 but even that gets a little bulky when holding it at times. I never was a fan of having a great big CB mounted to the top of my sport cage. Thanks for the write up, I may try this route.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Funny you should ask, I do have a Midland 75 and still use it as my go to loaner for people who show up to a run without a CB. A lot of the initial testing I've done with the AnyTone was with the Midland 75 and I can assure you that the sound quality of the AnyTone is far superior.

Have you done any comparisons yet of the AnyTone vs. a VHF/UHF radio? I switched to a Rugged Radios handheld because the quality destroyed any CB I've ever heard. Just curious if this little guy may close that gap. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does it retain the 10 meter frequencies after the modification? Thanks. Steve

After you do the modification, you can only get 11-meter or standard U.S 40-channel CB frequencies. I believe you can still switch to 10-meter frequencies but only if you solder the OP1 jumpers. I am not 100% sure of this.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
After you do the modification, you can only get 11-meter or standard U.S 40-channel CB frequencies. I believe you can still switch to 10-meter frequencies but only if you solder the OP1 jumpers. I am not 100% sure of this.

It seems like that's what I remember, but I'd have to go back and do all my research, again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you done any comparisons yet of the AnyTone vs. a VHF/UHF radio? I switched to a Rugged Radios handheld because the quality destroyed any CB I've ever heard. Just curious if this little guy may close that gap. Thanks!

To be honest, I haven't even done enough comparisons between the AnyTone vs. my other CB radios to know if it performs better or worse than them. My primary reasons for getting the AnyTone was it's super compact size and affordable cost - NOT to be a replacement for my race radios.

What I have found is that MOST people who aren't happy with CB radios don't have their antennas installed correctly or have it installed in a location that has a poor ground. When setup correctly and tuned, I have found CB's to work exceptionally well for most runs with a reasonable amount of rigs. Why I still prefer to use a CB is because that's what MOST people still tend to use and when I put together runs, this is helpful.

Race radios are great if you need to communicate across great distances and for this, I use mine for things like when chasing for EVO during a race. What I don't like about race radios is that good ones tend to cost a lot more, weak signals come across as harsh and annoying static blasts and I personally find it difficult to find a pre-programmed channel on them that isn't being used by law enforcement or by everyone else. While you can program your own frequency, it isn't as simple as changing a channel and not all race radios give you the option to dial in a frequency.

SO FAR, I am liking what I'm seeing in terms of performance and quality of sound on the AnyTone but I'll have to report back after I get a chance to do more testing. Who knows, when all is said and done, it is entirely possible that this will be one big failed experiment.

black pearl

Hooked
My father in law told me about this radio, and mod about six months ago. I was hesitant to even look into it. Great write up! I may give this another look in the future.

SDG

Caught the Bug
LOL!! I had been on the fence for a while now on whether or not I would give it a try and mainly because you do have to crack it open and modify it to make it work as a standard 40 channel U.S. CB radio. For sure, the though of de-soldering that tiny jumper was a bit intimidating but at only $58, I figured I could screw it up and not loose too much sleep over it. That thread finally put me over the edge and fortunately, the mod was easy to do.
This comes at the perfect time... I hate how big my cobra is... [emoji6] haha... that's what she said...

So I have been looking at smaller radios. Been checking out the Cobra C 75 WX ST and the Uniden CMX760. They both seem to be pretty decent, and pretty much the same $160 price point. This is about the same size so definitely interested.

I would like to mount both the CB and my race radio in the glove box with remote speakers on the cage and have the handsets come out of the center console/arm rest...

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
To be honest, I haven't even done enough comparisons between the AnyTone vs. my other CB radios to know if it performs better or worse than them. My primary reasons for getting the AnyTone was it's super compact size and affordable cost - NOT to be a replacement for my race radios.

What I have found is that MOST people who aren't happy with CB radios don't have their antennas installed correctly or have it installed in a location that has a poor ground. When setup correctly and tuned, I have found CB's to work exceptionally well for most runs with a reasonable amount of rigs. Why I still prefer to use a CB is because that's what MOST people still tend to use and when I put together runs, this is helpful.

Race radios are great if you need to communicate across great distances and for this, I use mine for things like when chasing for EVO during a race. What I don't like about race radios is that good ones tend to cost a lot more, weak signals come across as harsh and annoying static blasts and I personally find it difficult to find a pre-programmed channel on them that isn't being used by law enforcement or by everyone else. While you can program your own frequency, it isn't as simple as changing a channel and not all race radios give you the option to dial in a frequency.

SO FAR, I am liking what I'm seeing in terms of performance and quality of sound on the AnyTone but I'll have to report back after I get a chance to do more testing. Who knows, when all is said and done, it is entirely possible that this will be one big failed experiment.

Thanks for your feedback, and I know I'm jumping the gun a bit on your comparison test :D

I agree with you on the grounding issue and I've gone to a dedicated grounding strap at the antenna that I'm hoping will clear up some of my CB issues. Just haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet.

I look forward to hearing your results and as always, I'm sure they'll be honest, be it good or bad. :yup:

TeamFaust

Thanks for the write up. This looks like a good option for a small/compact CB especially at the price. Looking forward to hearing a review of how it actually performs in the trail.

moteaux

This is the one I am running converted to CB. I bought it from the supplier already converted to 11m. Been pretty happy with it so far. It's not as small as the one Eddie just did but more compact than most full size CB. Sound in cab with top and doors off is pretty good. So far I haven't hooked up my external speaker.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/tenmeter/Stryker/Stryker_SR-447HPC2.htm

This looks to be another good choice and one I was going to consider due to size. Looks to be fairly close to the same size as this thread subject.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/tenmeter/Stryker/Stryker_SR-89MC-V2.htm

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Darthfeeble

Thanks guys.

It seems like that's what I remember, but I'd have to go back and do all my research, again.

I suppose you could put a couple jumper switches in the thing, the bonus of this unit is that it has 8 watts output over the normal 5 for standard CB. I was advised that most of the Jeep folk up in my neck of the woods are going to HAM and as the wife and I go out alone all the time I thought it would be wise to have one. It would be a big plus if the unit could be made to do both. I know there are several large ones that do and several modifications to CB radios that get a lot of HAM frequencies but like Eddie mentioned, who wants that big a gadget hanging over your head. Thanks for the post.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
This is the one I am running converted to CB. I bought it from the supplier already converted to 11m. Been pretty happy with it so far. It's not as small as the one Eddie just did but more compact than most full size CB. Sound in cab with top and doors off is pretty good. So far I haven't hooked up my external speaker.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/tenmeter/Stryker/Stryker_SR-447HPC2.htm

This looks to be another good choice and one I was going to consider due to size. Looks to be fairly close to the same size as this thread subject.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/tenmeter/Stryker/Stryker_SR-89MC-V2.htm

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, but the Anytone is less than $60.00

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but the Anytone is less than $60.00

This ^^^^

As I had stated in my original post "I hadn't really found anything that I liked or at least, at a reasonable cost". The whole point for making this post was to help people who are looking for a compact, yet "AFFORDABLE" solution.

Top Bottom