SUPER SMALL AnyTone Smart CB Radio : 11-Meter Conversion Write-Up

JeremyB

AZMikeD

You can pick up a solder sucker (or solder vac as WAL called it) inexpensive on Amazon. In fact, since my old solder iron is 25 years old, I picked up a solder iron and solder sucker together for $13. The brand is Omorc.

Thanks for posting this! I've been struggling with where to mount my CB in the LJ. I currently have it in the center console which i dont like. A CB this small opens up a lot more options.

Sent from my RS988 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
very cool - I've been looking for something smaller than the cobra, I'm getting tired of smacking my head into it the way I have it mounted.

for the price this is worth a try

thanks for posting :thumb:

So whats the actual purpose besides it being tiny? does it transmit on more (questionable legality) power? The size is awesome, and i hated my Cobra 75, so a small functional radio is cool, but seems like a lot of (extremely little) effort / hassle for just a regular CB radio. Been pretty happy with my Midland 1001 as far as clarity and volume, I never really have to talk to anyone more than 2 miles away to test its distance. Worth the switch over to the new style?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So whats the actual purpose besides it being tiny? does it transmit on more (questionable legality) power? The size is awesome, and i hated my Cobra 75, so a small functional radio is cool, but seems like a lot of (extremely little) effort / hassle for just a regular CB radio. Been pretty happy with my Midland 1001 as far as clarity and volume, I never really have to talk to anyone more than 2 miles away to test its distance. Worth the switch over to the new style?

Not if you are happy with your current setup.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kapone

Wow, thanks for the great share here E! This is very helpful and I think I will be picking one up soon.
Random question but what's the model/name of the zip cord device for the mic you have hanging on Rubicat?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I might have to check this out, been starting to get tired of the size of the cobra 29. Cant wait to see what you think after you have some more time with it.

kirame2

10 Meter Distances

I read 10 meter radios can travel some distance most times, so I guess a toggle with wire extensions soldered between the OP1 & 2 would reconnect it back to a 10 meter on demand in case you ever wanted to use it as such. And the toggle could be drill thru the case.

Ddays

Hooked
squint.jpg

Holy smokes that's a tiny radio. Honestly since I installed my Rock Hard cage my Cobra 29 totally blocks the rearview mirror. In fact I was going to remove the mirror since its pretty much worthless. This is a good option
being so small & relatively inexpensive. Could probably sell the 29 & pay for this radio. :hmm: Thanks for the info!

kbp810

Caught the Bug
I read 10 meter radios can travel some distance most times, so I guess a toggle with wire extensions soldered between the OP1 & 2 would reconnect it back to a 10 meter on demand in case you ever wanted to use it as such. And the toggle could be drill thru the case.

Actually I don't think you even need to toggle; you're just removing a jumper that shunts the 11 meter band. Once removed, you've got the full range open. I could be wrong, but this is how most of these jumper removal mods work.

However, just to clarify, the bands/modes that this radio covers in the 10 meter, require an amateur radio licence to use; and most, I believe, require a general or higher (unless used in an emergency situation); and even then, there's not a ton of activity on 10 meter these days. When there is activity, I think most is done via SSB or CW modes, which this radio does not do. You'd also likely need a second antenna that is tuned specifically for 10 to make good use of it.

Technically speaking, this radio isn't legal at all for use on 11 meter/CB either, but the FCC doesn't really seem to regulate or care about 11/CB, so there is very minimal risk in using this radio for CB (especially given how this radio is openly advertised for use on CB!).

So to make a long story short (I know, too late!), as was the intent of this post, this makes for a great little CB radio; and I think that is where it's place really is. As otherwise, it kind of makes for a lousy 10 meter radio.

JONZCJ7

Agreed, that is tiny radio and a great write up and option to save space.
I am going to have to get one for my CJ. I am still running the old CB that was use by a friends dad in the 70s.
Its like have a cinder block bolt to the underside of your dash.
Works great, just hate the size.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Actually I don't think you even need to toggle; you're just removing a jumper that shunts the 11 meter band. Once removed, you've got the full range open. I could be wrong, but this is how most of these jumper removal mods work.

However, just to clarify, the bands/modes that this radio covers in the 10 meter, require an amateur radio licence to use; and most, I believe, require a general or higher (unless used in an emergency situation); and even then, there's not a ton of activity on 10 meter these days. When there is activity, I think most is done via SSB or CW modes, which this radio does not do. You'd also likely need a second antenna that is tuned specifically for 10 to make good use of it.

Technically speaking, this radio isn't legal at all for use on 11 meter/CB either, but the FCC doesn't really seem to regulate or care about 11/CB, so there is very minimal risk in using this radio for CB (especially given how this radio is openly advertised for use on CB!).

So to make a long story short (I know, too late!), as was the intent of this post, this makes for a great little CB radio; and I think that is where it's place really is. As otherwise, it kind of makes for a lousy 10 meter radio.

I hear highly amplified CB radios, all the time. If they cared, they'd crack down on it.

Stotch

Caught the Bug

This 10 meter radio has 8 watts and CBs are limited to 4 watts. So, questionable legality and slightly more power, but nothing crazy. I think the main draw is the size though.

The article JeremyB posted does have some good info in it:

I was wondering the same thing and did a little googling. Found a "Preppers" group with a good explanation...
http://beforeitsnews.com/survival/2...ween-10-meter-radio-and-cb-radio-2514462.html

J

"[FONT=&quot]CB radio manufacturers “build-in” a maximum output power of 4 watts... [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Amateur Radio 10 meter frequency band and the FCC requires that the radio operator obtain a license. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Unlike CB communications the FCC considers the 10 meter band acceptable for long range communication, many radios offer over 100 times the transmitting power of a traditional CB transmitter."[/FONT]

kbp810

Caught the Bug
I hear highly amplified CB radios, all the time. If they cared, they'd crack down on it.

Absolutely right - there are way worse things operating on CB than these little radios; they don't care. About 11 meter/CB anyways, they do care about and regulate the amateur radio bands still (the 10 meter part).

robx251

Caught the Bug
This is a good find.

The way I did mine was I am using a tyt-th9800 it can broadcast on am and fm also. It also has the plus of having a remote head I mounted my base unit under the dash and steering wheel
KIMG0123.jpg

KIMG0124.jpg

KIMG0126.jpg

I have not removed my pro 510xl because it is nice to be able to monitor 3 frequienies at one time

KIMG0127.jpg

Sent from my E6820TM using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
View attachment 271781

Holy smokes that's a tiny radio. Honestly since I installed my Rock Hard cage my Cobra 29 totally blocks the rearview mirror. In fact I was going to remove the mirror since its pretty much worthless. This is a good option
being so small & relatively inexpensive. Could probably sell the 29 & pay for this radio. :hmm: Thanks for the info!

Is your rear view even worth a shit with the evo carrier anyway?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie is there a external waterproof speaker you would recommend that would work with this application.

Thanks...for the write up.

I know that Icom makes a waterproof external speaker that's pretty affordable but I've been using a Cobra HighGear HG-S100 forever and it's held up well over the years, even in the rain.

Until I get a chance to really test it out for things like range, the most this little CB radio will offer is its extremely compact size, pretty good sound quality and all at a pretty affordable price. If you're happy with what you've got now, it may not be worth the switch.

Wow, thanks for the great share here E! This is very helpful and I think I will be picking one up soon.
Random question but what's the model/name of the zip cord device for the mic you have hanging on Rubicat?

What you're looking at is a GearKeeper. You can get them at just about any truck stop.

Again, I'm not 100% sure as I have not tried it but it is my understanding that connecting OP1 will allow you the option of using 10-meter or 11-meter. With OP2 connected, there is an option when you first power on the radio giving you the option to select between "High" and "Low" but this has since gone away after I separated OP2. I run a race radio and have no need for a 10-meter radio and if I did, I would just get a ham.

Top Bottom