SUPER SMALL AnyTone Smart CB Radio : 11-Meter Conversion Write-Up

RodCyn

Thanks Eddie for the info on this radio. Since I like to have matching equipment, I can use two of these, one for CB and the other to replace my Ham radio.

As inexpensive as these are, I won't have to worry about them getting broken or stolen.

In addition, after researching this radio, I found that there is a "Front Panel Mounting Bracket" for $16.95 and "AT-5888UV Head Separation Cable" for $9.95, that will house only the front (removable) panel to make its footprint even more minuscule.

vJeoFj.jpg
xkf9xu.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thanks Eddie for the info on this radio. Since I like to have matching equipment, I can use two of these, one for CB and the other to replace my Ham radio.

As inexpensive as these are, I won't have to worry about them getting broken or stolen.

In addition, after researching this radio, I found that there is a "Front Panel Mounting Bracket" for $16.95 and "AT-5888UV Head Separation Cable" for $9.95, that will house only the front (removable) panel to make its footprint even more minuscule.

vJeoFj.jpg
xkf9xu.jpg

Do a lot of googling. You may be able to use the same radio for both.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
So something like this: 4' Firestik(R) II FS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna - 900 Watts Red FS-4RD? Does the length matter?

How often would I use the SWR meter? Wondering if it's just best to borrow one.

Also should I get the stainless steel spring or will that affect the quality?

Last question (for now) assuming I also need to buy cable to run it to the rear of the rig correct.

notnalc68

So something like this: 4' Firestik(R) II FS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna - 900 Watts Red FS-4RD? Does the length matter?

Last question (for now) assuming I also need to buy cable to run it to the rear of the rig correct.

3" is long enough. SWR meters are inexpensive, but you can borrow one. The spring is fine. An 18' cable.

IMG_0043.jpg

BobNH

Yes you need cable. IMO, use rg8x. Use enough to get where you need and not much more. You don't want it in a coil so you don't want a lot extra.
For the antenna length, it all depends where you are mounting it, what top you have, etc. Basically, you want at least 1/3 of it's length above the roof line, and that is much more critical with a hard top in my experience.
As to the SWR, a meter and the 3' jumper ahould aet you back less than $20. Worth it IMO. Its a lot nicer to decide when you want to tune it. And per the instructions, find a nice open area to do so. Not the garage.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

That's awesome. Got a link for the bracket?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not in love with my set up at all so I may give this a try. I love the size and it would be great to feel connected again on the trail.

That's kinda how I was feeling about my previous setup. I figured at $58, I could afford to make a mistake. So far, I feel like I've made a good move :yup:

JAGS

Hooked
I've been real lucky with my midland 75 handheld set up. Do have it hardwired to coax antenna though.

That said, maybe I'll go this route in the JL. [emoji6][emoji106]

Resqnu

Just found this as well. My research doesn't show they work with this cb, but works with other Anytone radios. Let us know if you find out different info.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
just received mine :thumb:

on the path to less bumps on my head!

the cobra 29 is just big enough and hung down low enough i'd smack my head on it reaching for the glove box :doh:

hoping I can tuck this nicely out of the way.

FYI - I had to use a T9 on the screws for the unit I received

jeeeep

Hooked

vJeoFj.jpg
xkf9xu.jpg

this doesn't work with the SMART CB in the write up, it only works with the AnyTone AT-588UV

notnalc68

Mine is mounted on the license plate holder, bolted to the side facing forward, so I had to use a ground strap. Use copper braid for strap. I ran it from the frame to the spot between the top of the connector and the bottom of the plate.
The idea of the 10/11 unit os pretty cool though, and the very clear writeup makes me think more on the switch idea someone else noted, so if my 520 ever dies, I may have to guve this a hard look.
And for further clarification of the pic posted by Eddie, from an electrical standpoint, I found this very helpful with my multimeter
09c4e7c0f82bbb8a52b63e5575177639.gif

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That's a useful image. Thanks for sharing it.

Resqnu

Need a little help making a decision on where to mount this little cb until I get a roll cage (hope to be less than a year). When I get the roll cage I will mount on the cage between the visors. I am including a few pics with the last being an option that I don't have to drill into the side of the console. It's easier to reach and I'm leaning the way. What are you guys thoughts?
IMG_9005.JPG
IMG_9007.JPG
IMG_9008.JPG
IMG_9009.JPG

Top Bottom