Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not that I'm the most experienced, but I really like this style smoker. Nice work it's looking great.
They are fun. I’ve always wanted one but they are limited I think. A direct heat cooker or probably the most versatile/useful. I plan to make one after this one is wrapped up.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Rough idea of how much that thing weighs?
Doing some quick math, the 1/4” is about 10 pounds per square foot. That would put the firebox at about 170. The tank is 1/4” as well and probably about 200lbs. I would guess it will be at least 500 pounds or damn close to it.

kevman65

Hooked
It’s 1/4” it’s not going to distort/warp. But I did put angle around it to clean up the sloppy cuts. It was not easy cutting the 1/4” without the proper tools. I’ll order it to the size I need next time. I will probably add some bracing on the inside of the firebox door as a just in case. If that warps, I won’t be able to close it. If for some reason the other warped, it would effect the cooking process.
View attachment 365147
Get some wafer wheels for your 4" grinder. Like a knife through butter. Make a straight line on the steel using a square, start your cut straight and ziiiiiiiiiiip you're through.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Are you going to reverse flow or cross flow?
Cross. I want to like reverse but I don’t know. I’m not sure why it’s necessary. Although I have thought about a reverse or double reverse cooker for cold smoking. Not sure if it would work or not.

CalSgt

Hooked
Cross. I want to like reverse but I don’t know. I’m not sure why it’s necessary. Although I have thought about a reverse or double reverse cooker for cold smoking. Not sure if it would work or not.
Not necessary at all to reverse flow... I think it does make it a little easier to keep temps down on the fire box side.

Top Bottom