Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Both actually, but I was thinking about the firebox when I posted... I assumed the cook chamber will have some sort of damper on the flue
I don’t plan to add anything to the door as of now. For airflow I will just keep it propped open. I made the hinges tight so it won’t swing by itself even on an incline. I have a few ideas but it would turn out like shit without a CNC. The hole from the firebox to the CC is standard, I think I posted a picture. And the chimney will have a dampener that will swing side to side.

CalSgt

Hooked
I don’t plan to add anything to the door as of now. For airflow I will just keep it propped open. I made the hinges tight so it won’t swing by itself even on an incline. I have a few ideas but it would turn out like shit without a CNC. The hole from the firebox to the CC is standard, I think I posted a picture. And the chimney will have a dampener that will swing side to side.
I think that all sounds solid. Almost everyone I know that has an offset woodburner has to either re-do their firebox damper by making it bigger or crack/prop the door because they don't breathe good enough. They take a lot more air than I expected.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Been a long time since I’ve done a chicken

View attachment 365892

View attachment 365893
Got a new thermometer, inkbird off of Amazon, 4 probe, Bluetooth. App is nice, good long connection distance.

View attachment 365894
Glad you like the inkbird. I’ve had it for a year and a half or so and not a fan. That stupid alarm is so fucking loud. The graph doesn’t save leaving you no was to track your cooks. Distance is good in straight line only. I can’t be in the garage and have the bbq in the back since it won’t read.

Glad you like the inkbird. I’ve had it for a year and a half or so and not a fan. That stupid alarm is so fucking loud. The graph doesn’t save leaving you no was to track your cooks. Distance is good in straight line only. I can’t be in the garage and have the bbq in the back since it won’t read.
Ah that’s a bummer, I dunno if they improved it or I’m just lucky but I can be pretty much anywhere on the property or inside and still connected. I don’t need the fancy graph features, I just need it to let me know when smoker is out of temp range and when meat hits the mark.
I tried a meater wireless one, and it was nice but about 10* off and sent that back.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
First cook wasn’t a complete success but it wasn’t a complete failure. Fire needs more air so I need to do something to the firebox. Either a basket of sorts or a v notch in the bottom. After about 4 hours I ran out of wood so I threw it in the oven. Good flavor
F8B29059-7EC9-4E85-959F-013D943F77EA.jpeg 6E0DEBA8-FD5C-49E0-A9AF-EADFF3489C66.jpeg

DMF

Does anyone want a smoker? I won this a couple of years ago in a raffle and just don’t use it. It’s a Char-Broil 16” Bullet Smoker. It's brand new, never open the box Just pay for shipping.

Attachments

• 3E418509-A244-42E6-97CB-D71D61F5666B.jpeg
    3E418509-A244-42E6-97CB-D71D61F5666B.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 13

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Besides the coolness factor of making it (which is really cool by the way), what is the benefit of this over a garden variety RecTec or Traeger?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Besides the coolness factor of making it (which is really cool by the way), what is the benefit of this over a garden variety RecTec or Traeger?
Flavor on a wood burning offset if totally different and I think better. It’s a natural flavor that you won’t taste until you have from a stick burning. Heat retention on this is far better just due to thickness of the metal. Small differences. Not enough to make someone go from $800 rectec to a $4000 offset.

Top Bottom