Fuel Prices

JimLee

Hooked
My gas bill (home gas not vehicle gas) has doubled or tripled this winter every month. Used to be $25-60 depending on the weather. Haven’t paid under a hundred all winter. And I don’t keep the house very warm.
Yea, we are suddenly running $200 a month natural gas bills over here where I live, max for the previous ten years was right around $100.

jesse3638

Hooked
You must have a minimum wage job to value your time that little. Seriously, .70 a gallon over 20 gallons is $14. To wait in those lines is retarded.
Haha. Nah I'm just a cheap ass. Actually the wait wasn't much longer than usual. Plus the entertainment of people watching is fun. They freak the fuck out when the car in front of them either doesn't move or looks ad if they are going to cut in line. Plus I fill up at least 6 times a month. That's $84 in savings.

Lperdue

Well I did some math if my own before the Ford comparison was posted using my current vehicle (Nissan Sentra) and the most popular comparable "affordable" EV (Tesla Model 3). I also used averages to come up with my figures.

Gas National Average: $4.32
Southern CA Edison kWh off peak rate: .33 cents
Average annual mileage 12k (33 per day)

Sentra combined MPG: 33
Tesla: .34 kWh per mile

Daily Fuel Cost
Sentra: $4.32 (33 miles)
Telsa: $3.63 (33 miles)
Difference: .69

Annual Fuel Cost
Sentra: $1576.80
Tesla: $1324.95
Difference: $251.85

MSRP
Sentra: $19,610
Tesla: $44,990
Difference: $25,380

Years needed to break even in Fuel Cost alone:

The Tesla seems totally worth it to me. :crazyeyes: Sure if gas cost more and electricity was less it would close the gap but not enough for me to go that route. This is only Fuel and not other things to keep in mind. I did read the Average annual cost savings is $2-3k a year. In another article I read, the author said he experienced an 8% loss in capacity in his Tesla in the 4 years he owned it. Even if you saved $2500 a year it'd take 10 years to break even. How's your Tesla going to be holding up? We don't even know yet, since the model 3 has only been out about 5 years now.
I agree if your driving a highly efficient car then it would take a lot longer to see a pay off difference.
I don’t really think that’s a good comparison since it’s not a true apples to apples comparison.

Which is why I used direct comparisons of like model cars f150 vs f150 at a base price for both to see actual cost savings for an actual apple to apples comparison. I can really skew and inflate those numbers if I compare a 20k car to the hummer Ev at 100k but that wouldn’t be a fair comparison.

But as I stated before I’ve never cared for EVs and would rather hemi swap the gladdy than buy one. Also I completely agree that the long term cost will be extremely high, any saving that you might have on fuel will just be used on maintenance.

Last edited:

Dale72

Hooked
That’s crazy. I’ve been seeing the receipts you’ve been posting and was starting to wonder.
I'm back hauling bulk plastic pellets. I self load and unload every load. I posted a picture in what's your view at work a couple weeks ago of me unloading saying that it's going to be a long day. It took me 9 hours to unload that load. I had to push the pellets 150 ft on the ground before it went 80 ft up into the silo.

jesse3638

Hooked
I agree if your driving a highly efficient car then it would take a lot longer to see a pay off difference.
I don’t really think that’s a good comparison since it’s not a true apples to apples comparison.

Which is why I used direct comparisons of like model cars f150 vs f150 at a base price for both to see actual cost savings for an actual apple to apples comparison. I can really skew and inflate those numbers if I compare a 20k car to the hummer Ev at 100k but that wouldn’t be a fair comparison.

But as I stated before I’ve never cared for EVs and would rather hemi swap the gladdy than buy one. Also I completely agree that the long term cost will be extremely high, any saving that you might have on fuel will just be used on maintenance.
I agree but I was simply going on the most popular comparable cars. I don't think there is an apples to apples comparison in the sedan world. Yours was probably as close as you can get.

Edit: Doing the same math using the Nissan leaf which is an 8k difference, it would only take 16 years to break even. I'm with you on the EV's though they aren't for me. I really hate how they're being pushed down our throats.

Last edited:

Dale72

Hooked
Just filled up the JT this time

Attachments

• 20220313_115355.jpg
    20220313_115355.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220313_115359.jpg
    20220313_115359.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 0
Top Bottom