Fuel Prices

JimLee

Hooked
While I agree that was the case 5-10 years ago, the cost of EV has actually gone down and became pretty comparable to most cars. An example of this is the ford Lightning and a base F150 Crew Cab there is only a about a 2k difference ($2,274). So here the math lol.
EV vs 2.7L
EV F150 Has 230 miles of range and it will cost $13.91 on average to refill
Gas F150 Has 572 miles of range and it will cost $ 112.06 to fill a 26 Gallon tank (National gas average now is $4.31 & combined MPG is 22mpg x 26 gallons = 572 miles)

So for $2000 dollars I can fill the EV 143.7 times and the Gas version on 17.8 times.
Now if you multiply the max ranges of each by how many times you can refill.
EV F150 will get 33,051 miles
Gas F150 will get 10,181 miles

If you think about an average person does over 10k miles a year. If gas prices stayed where they are at currently it would take a little over a year for you to save the difference. Plus you would also get up to $7500 back in tax credits so it would basically pay for itself at that point.

I honestly don't really care for EV's. I love my traditional V8 and feel EV's will never have the heart and soul of a classic motor.
VqCUUqY.gif

Lol. I hate EV's, but I do appreciate an honest breakdown of the numbers. Dunno, maybe someday.

And don't even ask me how the "system" managed to split the quote of you post, it's a mystery
CvZZNDkXgAABNdH.jpg

Spazbyt

Hooked
While I agree that was the case 5-10 years ago, the cost of EV has actually gone down and became pretty comparable to most cars. An example of this is the ford Lightning and a base F150 Crew Cab there is only a about a 2k difference ($2,274). So here the math lol.

EV vs 2.7L
EV F150 Has 230 miles of range and it will cost $13.91 on average to refill
Gas F150 Has 572 miles of range and it will cost $ 112.06 to fill a 26 Gallon tank (National gas average now is $4.31 & combined MPG is 22mpg x 26 gallons = 572 miles)

So for $2000 dollars I can fill the EV 143.7 times and the Gas version on 17.8 times.
Now if you multiply the max ranges of each by how many times you can refill.
EV F150 will get 33,051 miles
Gas F150 will get 10,181 miles

If you think about an average person does over 10k miles a year. If gas prices stayed where they are at currently it would take a little over a year for you to save the difference. Plus you would also get up to $7500 back in tax credits so it would basically pay for itself at that point.

I honestly don't really care for EV's. I love my traditional V8 and feel EV's will never have the heart and soul of a classic motor.
One thing that is rarely accounted for is what will inevitably happen to the price of electricity, when at 5 o'clock every day thousands, of additional EVs get plugged in simultaneously. Areas across the country already suffer from the fluctuations in the power grid. Some places restrict you from chargeing EVs during peak hours to help lessen the burden on the power grid. When EVs become viable we will all watch as every penny oil drops in price electricity will rise in lock step.
We are either burning liquid dinos or Dino chunks atleast until solar and wind get their shit together.

Lperdue

One thing that is rarely accounted for is what will inevitably happen to the price of electricity, when at 5 o'clock every day thousands, of additional EVs get plugged in simultaneously. Areas across the country already suffer from the fluctuations in the power grid. Some places restrict you from chargeing EVs during peak hours to help lessen the burden on the power grid. When EVs become viable we will all watch as every penny oil drops in price electricity will rise in lock step.
We are either burning liquid dinos or Dino chunks atleast until solar and wind get their shit together.
Yep electricity tends to increase around 2% each year depending on where your at. Which is why I never cared to buy one, plus another thing most people don't account for is maintenance on EV's. If your keeping it for 3-5 years great, but long term meaning 8 plus years no thanks. Every penny I saved on fuel will probably be used to replace the battery, or regen braking system down the road. Not to mention I value time more than money, I cant justify sitting at a pump for a hour every time I'm out of range during a road trip.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well I did some math if my own before the Ford comparison was posted using my current vehicle (Nissan Sentra) and the most popular comparable "affordable" EV (Tesla Model 3). I also used averages to come up with my figures.

Gas National Average: $4.32
Southern CA Edison kWh off peak rate: .33 cents
Average annual mileage 12k (33 per day)

Sentra combined MPG: 33
Tesla: .34 kWh per mile

Daily Fuel Cost
Sentra: $4.32 (33 miles)
Telsa: $3.63 (33 miles)
Difference: .69

Annual Fuel Cost
Sentra: $1576.80
Tesla: $1324.95
Difference: $251.85

MSRP
Sentra: $19,610
Tesla: $44,990
Difference: $25,380

Years needed to break even in Fuel Cost alone:

The Tesla seems totally worth it to me. :crazyeyes: Sure if gas cost more and electricity was less it would close the gap but not enough for me to go that route. This is only Fuel and not other things to keep in mind. I did read the Average annual cost savings is $2-3k a year. In another article I read, the author said he experienced an 8% loss in capacity in his Tesla in the 4 years he owned it. Even if you saved $2500 a year it'd take 10 years to break even. How's your Tesla going to be holding up? We don't even know yet, since the model 3 has only been out about 5 years now.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Yeah I was at Costco yesterday and paid $5.19. Thats .35-70 cheaper than anywhere else. The lines are proof to that. View attachment 372998
People were getting crazy and honking at each other. Where are you going to go? I'm a glutton for punishment as I filled up my wife's jeep later that evening. Lines were just as long at 9pm. Typically you can drive right up to a pump after 8pm
Costco gas here is only 3-5 cents cheaper… thought it would be a better deal than that.

Colorado4x4

That fast lane truck channel did a video on the Rivian towing 8,000 lbs. They left Boulder with the charge at 99% and made it to Golden (20 miles) and the battery was at 70%. Forget that. It would take me 5 days to trailer a riding lawn mower to Moab. The charge time flat out sucks too. I think about electric power tools, iPhones, car batteries, etc and all of the batteries die at some point. EVs would be nice if you only drove a couple of miles every day but I think a bicycle would be a better investment. The last 2 times we’ve driven to the Ouray area I’ve seen a Tesla that ran out of gas. I don’t have time for that shit

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That fast lane truck channel did a video on the Rivian towing 8,000 lbs. They left Boulder with the charge at 99% and made it to Golden (20 miles) and the battery was at 70%. Forget that. It would take me 5 days to trailer a riding lawn mower to Moab. The charge time flat out sucks too. I think about electric power tools, iPhones, car batteries, etc and all of the batteries die at some point. EVs would be nice if you only drove a couple of miles every day but I think a bicycle would be a better investment. The last 2 times we’ve driven to the Ouray area I’ve seen a Tesla that ran out of gas. I don’t have time for that shit
I passed one of those fucks on a hill in rush hour. The fucker towing a trailer totally slowed down the entire fucking flow. 0AD2DB12-340A-4D26-AD4E-CF7A964FAC26.jpeg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah I was at Costco yesterday and paid $5.19. Thats .35-70 cheaper than anywhere else. The lines are proof to that. View attachment 372998
People were getting crazy and honking at each other. Where are you going to go? I'm a glutton for punishment as I filled up my wife's jeep later that evening. Lines were just as long at 9pm. Typically you can drive right up to a pump after 8pm
You must have a minimum wage job to value your time that little. Seriously, .70 a gallon over 20 gallons is $14. To wait in those lines is retarded.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Since you mentioned it, I just got an email today from the electric company stating that the cost for electricity will increase by 20% due to rising fuel costs.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Since you mentioned it, I just got an email today from the electric company stating that the cost for electricity will increase by 20% due to rising fuel costs.
My gas bill (home gas not vehicle gas) has doubled or tripled this winter every month. Used to be $25-60 depending on the weather. Haven’t paid under a hundred all winter. And I don’t keep the house very warm.

Top Bottom