Career Change at 30?

I'm 31 and I tried for 7 years to get into an agency and came close and had some unfortunate circumstances. In 2011 I made a choice and went to work for the power company. It's a good gig but I always have law enforcement In the back of my mind. I may carry the "what if?" With me for the rest of my life. You don't want that. Go for it man.

I'm 31 and I tried for 7 years to get into an agency and came close and had some unfortunate circumstances. In 2011 I made a choice and went to work for the power company. It's a good gig but I always have law enforcement In the back of my mind. I may carry the "what if?" With me for the rest of my life. You don't want that. Go for it man.

That's my issue. I started getting the "what if" since I graduated college. I may not think about it for 2-3 months, then when I see the red and blue lights flashing on the side of the road when I'm on my way home from my dead end job, I get the "what if" again.

The odd hours I think I can get used to. My wife is a Radiology tech, so her hours always change and she works a lot of weekends. A lot to consider though

It's not getting used to your hours. It's your family getting used to it. Very high divorce rate, along with suicide and other medical issues like heart disease that come with law enforcement. I'm not saying don't do it. Just don't do it blindly.

I was a deputy for ten years in SoCal. Greatest job I ever had. My only advise is to make sure your wife is onboard. Holidays, weekends, graveyard and missed birthdays can wear a wife down. My career ended in an effort to salvage my family life. Best of luck, I say do it. It's a career to be proud of and you'll never regret at least trying.

Don't become a cop...you'll lose all your friends

As LEO's we don't have friends we have brothers and sisters. Besides if you do "lose all your friends" then it should make you ask 2 questions : how good a friend could they really have been and what kinda ppl was I friends with?

10 years in Sept with the 3rd largest "office" in the country every one has already said everything I can. But you can't really beat the retirement 20 years here(pay actually kinda sux) and it is VERY hard on family with little kids. Remember you will have child care costs and you never know what other ppl think is appropriate to teach your child. (IMHO)

I was a deputy for ten years in SoCal. Greatest job I ever had. My only advise is to make sure your wife is onboard. Holidays, weekends, graveyard and missed birthdays can wear a wife down. My career ended in an effort to salvage my family life. Best of luck, I say do it. It's a career to be proud of and you'll never regret at least trying.

I worked christmas the last 3 years. Eve and day twice. You miss birthdays, dance recitals, etc. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Best career hands down. It will test the limits of a relationship. If your spouse isn't ready, it can be devistating.

I was talking to one of our pd guys the other day, 2 of 5 new recruits just quit. The career wasn't for them. It takes a special person. It's not a job. It's a way of life. You have to be willing to put your life on the line for people you have never met. The burden is too high for some and the reward may not be visible, but we don't do this for recognition or money.

I retired 2 years ago as a Sergeant after 34 years of service. Best job in the world.

I do agree with the others, make sure your wife is on board and that she understands whats involved in being a officers wife.

Very few marriages last and it's only because of the job. I was lucky, I've been married for 36 years.

There is a extremely strong brother/sister hood. They will become your family.

I have two son's who are also LEOs. One is a Police Officer/Bomb Squad Tech and the other is a Correctiin Officer. They both love there jobs too. How ever the one who is a Correction Officer suffered a divorce. He wife cited the stress from his job as her reason for divorce.

If your wife is in, then go for it, I don't think you'll regret it.

This is completely different as I am only 21 years old but I'm with a lot of people on this. Do it. I've never worked for anybody but partners and I have been in 3 different industries and couldn't be happier that I have been. I've seen a wide range of things and it's helped. Do what makes you happy.

Do it!!!!! You don't want to look back on your life and think "I wish I would have done that."

After I lost my father in 2013 I moved back with my mom to help take care of her. I too am 30, and even though it's just me and mom now, I still went for it. I finished the academy in December. It made mom nervous, but she supported me in what I wanted to do. It's worth it. Do what your heart truly tells you. If you do, everything else will fall into place.

Just my two cents. Good luck, and stay safe.

About chasing you dreams, I would say do it. I'm 45, have a great wife and 6 year old son, nice house, good job in terms of money, but keep looking back and wondering if I should have taken another path. But too late for me. But I would caution you along with everyone else here, make sure what you think is you dream is truly what you want, I.e. Make sure you understand the perceived goods, which may not always be the case, the actual goods and the bads. If you look long and hard, understand as much as you can and still want it, go do it. Good luck

I changed at 41. I went from a school teacher to to PGA professional. I am glad I made the change. I love what I'm doing. If I was teaching school, I could retire in three years. I would have had to find another job or keep teaching.

I plan on emailing the Troop recruiter tomorrow evening (this weekend has been a busy one for me). I plan on asking him if they offer ride-alongs, in which if the do I plan on participating. I will most likely end up filling out an online application. From what I've read on their website, testing starts in January with the academy starting in June...that means I have a year to whip my own a$$ into shape, wish me luck.

I am fortunate to do something I enjoy and challenges me everyday in different ways so it never feels the same. With that though I would say it is never to late to change careers. One thing I have learned in business is that "passion" is key. You need to have passion if you want to start your own business or even if you have a job otherwise you will not enjoy going to work everyday and there will never be room for growth.

There is more to life than work and you need to evaluate what is important to you and your family. If you want to work and make money that is one direction. If you want to spend more time wheeling and hanging with the Fam and friends that is another direction. The main thing is to know what you want most in life and pursue it with passion.

I would not give up my family for a job or even my playtime (whether it's wheeling or backpacking or cycling).

I get to play with meat on the reg at work. Sometimes it's really large and sometimes it's really little. Every once in a while I'll find some hairy stuff. I don't like that too much. I enjoy it.

I get to play with meat on the reg at work. Sometimes it's really large and sometimes it's really little. Every once in a while I'll find some hairy stuff. I don't like that too much. I enjoy it.

Growing up in the sticks of the Midwest and eating the beef that I raise, it's not a dream of mine to fillet the steak that I eat on Sunday...but I appreciate the input on what you do for a living.....I guess?

Growing up in the sticks of the Midwest and eating the beef that I raise, it's not a dream of mine to fillet the steak that I eat on Sunday...but I appreciate the input on what you do for a living.....I guess?

Haha it was a joke to see if anyone got it.

After a long talk with my significant other, I've decided to hold off for a year before scheduling an entry test date for the MSHP. One of the tests is a "fit for duty" test which requires a 1.5 mile run, sit-ups, and push-ups. I don't feel that I am physically fit to perform said tests at this point. I am willing to work hard for the next year to meet these physical goals. As many of you have said, "go prepared!", that's what I plan to do. I don't wanna be the guy lagging behind. The MSHP does their tests annually starting in March. So I'll have a solid year to whip my own ass into shape. Thank you all who responded to this thread, and wish me luck in the future to come.

Top Bottom