Career Change at 30?

I've been a policeman for 25 years. I would no longer recommend this job for the same reasons mentioned above. The job used to be about honor, respect, pride, service, and duty.... In my opinion society has shifted away from these things. I'd go a different route today. My 2 cents.

Flash

Can you give me some insight on what you experienced 25 years ago compared to today? If my request is too personal, I understand

I am all about following your dreams, but with that said I would think long and hard about this one. I have been with a very large Sheriff's Office for 24 years, the last 13 have been as a Homicide Detective. I am also a 3 rd generation Law Enforcement Officer. In that 24 years I can tell you the publics attitude towards Law Enforcement have changed greatly. One of the things most people considering a career in Law Enforcement, don't realize is that about 95% of the people you come into contact with are not happy to see you for one reason or another. You will never be sent to a call, because somebody is having a great day. I will tell you I have done everything I can to convince my 20 year old son, to pursue any career, but this one.

I am all about following your dreams, but with that said I would think long and hard about this one. I have been with a very large Sheriff's Office for 24 years, the last 13 have been as a Homicide Detective. I am also a 3 rd generation Law Enforcement Officer. In that 24 years I can tell you the publics attitude towards Law Enforcement have changed greatly. One of the things most people considering a career in Law Enforcement, don't realize is that about 95% of the people you come into contact with are not happy to see you for one reason or another. You will never be sent to a call, because somebody is having a great day. I will tell you I have done everything I can to convince my 20 year old son, to pursue any career, but this one.

Good point, be a Fireman. Even if that house burns to the ground people still love you.

I have been a Military Police Officer for almost 8 years now. As rewarding as the career has been theres many cases, and investigations i have been apart of that i would not suggest anyone going into. All careers have their ups and downs, but what i would suggest is to talk to the agency you want to go into and see how they feel. Some will give their honest opinion, but i wouldn't do it at the interview. With that being said im 27 with a wife and 2 year old daughter and ive been debating a lot recently to hang up the uniform and change what i do. I love physical security and area security and feel that may be better for myself

I agree Flash, it has shifted but it goes in waves. Remember after "911" you couldn't go a shift without someone trying to buy you a meal or school kids dropping off patriotic posters. As long as we keep the honor and respect.

Good point, be a Fireman. Even if that house burns to the ground people still love you.

Yes they do!! If I could only do it over, work 9 days a month and make damn near the same money. My plumber, Tile guy, Electrician, AC guy, all Fireman!!

This is literally what my father and uncle told me and I took their advise and became a FF instead........I've never looked back with regret ever

~Woodrow~

I would go for it. I recently changed jobs, not quite careers. I was management at a sub-par restaurant and was miserable. I'm now a chef at a very highly ranked fine dining restaurant. I've never been happier both at work and at home. I even took a bit of a cut in pay, but feeling good about what I'm doing has made it completely worth it.

just do it lol

I was in the exact same predicament around the age of 26, I was a Auto mech and started to dis-like it. stopped into a local college took a placement test and started a career as a Fire Fighter / Paramedic. I struggled for years trying to land a full time job in this field and now work for The city of Detroit ( the only city that never stops burning ) 24/7......Im Married with two young boys but followed my heart and dreams, Now I run into burning homes carrying on a 100 plus year legacy........ If law enforcement is your dream go for it.... It will be the best choice you have ever made, Good luck to you and be safe.

Yes the schedule is good , I work 9/ 24 hour shifts a month but I average on a slow day 2 house fires a shift and the most has been 8 house/ structural fires in a shift. I wish I had enough time to wash my jeep at work lol. No vacation stations in Detroit.... FYI The Documentary BURN doesn't even scratch the surface of what we deal with......... THE ABSOLUTE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD......

Last edited:

Its the only profession where you cut a hole in someone's roof, kick the doors in, flood the house, and everyone still loves you.

The fire service is a tough road to haul. It takes years to get a job. If you are planning on going public safety, be prepared for the good and bad. There are two sides to every badge, the shiny side and the dull side.

I changed careers at 30 as well and considered becoming Colorado state patrol, their training is intense. If I didn't let my hearing loss hold me back that's where I'd be. You got my support!

Close your ayes and go for it man! You will success and be happier, if you don't know wow you will like it, go do some ridesalones to see how you like it 👍

I left the military LE at age 30, after 12 years most of my peers said I was crazy as I was already over halfway to retirement. While I started fresh I still stayed in the LE field and don't regret a thing. Every job has its ups and downs, but this field keeps you busy.

I left the military LE at age 30, after 12 years most of my peers said I was crazy as I was already over halfway to retirement. While I started fresh I still stayed in the LE field and don't regret a thing. Every job has its ups and downs, but this field keeps you busy.

Very fitting your posts are at 187 now. Lol. Jeeperkeeper I sent you a PM.

Its the only profession where you cut a hole in someone's roof, kick the doors in, flood the house, and everyone still loves you.

The fire service is a tough road to haul. It takes years to get a job. If you are planning on going public safety, be prepared for the good and bad. There are two sides to every badge, the shiny side and the dull side.

For sure, I can't even tell you how many volunteer hours and years I had as a auxiliary officer to just get my foot in the door to be hired part time on the road. It's very tough to land a full time gig for fire or police. It's like hitting the Lotto.,

For sure, I can't even tell you how many volunteer hours and years I had as a auxiliary officer to just get my foot in the door to be hired part time on the road. It's very tough to land a full time gig for fire or police. It's like hitting the Lotto.,

Fortunately, it's a little easier to become an officer in eastern Missouri right now with the dealings in Ferguson, but I have no intention of being an STL Metro officer.

Top Bottom