Career Change at 30?

My father and uncle both were career LEO's and I was going to follow in their footsteps and keep up the family tradition.......after a long talk with both of them they both persuaded me to seek another profession (Fire Service).....the respect for LEO's has eroded over the last 20 years to what appears to be an all time low......do yourself a favor and talk to several LEO's young and old to get a feel of what it's like and don't be afraid to ask questions......do your due diligence and don't be in a hurry......the last thing you want to do is get into a job and find out you regret it later......I have the utmost respect for the men in blue.....you have to be a certain kind of person with the right temperament and tolerance to be LEO......whether you become a LEO or not I wish you good luck in whatever you choose

~Woodrow~

I just recently went through something like this. Im only 22 so it's a little different but i know how you feel.. The way i look at it, if you have something lined up and can still comfortably pay your bills. Why not? Lifes to short to hate your job and not enjoy everyday you live. Go for it man. Grab the world by the balls and take charge.

Similar story for you. Since I was 18 I was an auto repair tech. I managed stores and got dirty. After almost 8 years I decided for a change. I wasn't 30 and I don't have kids. However as an auto tech with major tool loans I was living close to check to check. I took full time classes at night after work at community college in law enforcement. I did two different internships one of which was my home states state police. I worked 5 days a week and interned 2 days. Yes no days off plus full time classes. It took some work ie. Getting in better shape and practicing for different exams. I now work for the department of corrections and I love it. I make double the money and love what I do. I still plan to continue my education and possibly move on to a department. I may not know the responsibility of children. But I do know that if it's something you want go for it. After the academy is over you will love it.

I grew up wanting to be a pilot. I'm close to 40 and an accountant.

WTF!?!?

You're young. Don't get trapped. Avoid the big mortgage. Avoid the big car payments. Give yourself options. The next decade will go by faster than you can believe.

Almost every time older people are interviewed, they note things they DIDN'T try as their biggest regrets.

From what I'm seeing on the MSHP website, the process is rather lengthy. I have to first apply, take some written exams, polygraph, and background check. Then they decide if I'll make the academy. The academy will require me to live on campus in Jefferson City, MO (an hour away from my wife and kids) for 25 weeks. I would be home Friday night and have to return to campus Sunday night. At least I will know what I'm getting into and my wife put it well, "it's 25 weeks for the rest of your life". I don't plan to rush this decision by any means. Plus I have a Northern Minnesota fishing trip planned in August :)

I have a lot on my mind right now. I'm pondering a career change at the age of 30. Right now I'm married, two kids (2 yr old and 4 month old). I have a good job as a service writer/tire salesman at an independently owned shop in my hometown. I went to a well known technical college for Automotive collision repair and graduated with certifications. Now after being in the automotive repair field for 10+ years, I need a change. I'm bored with what I do...I know some of you guys would think that messing around with cars all day is the job to have, but to be honest its a lot different than wrenching on custom cars and Jeeps when 90% of the vehicles that come through the door are your run-of-mill Buick Lesabre or Ford Taurus.

Here's the kicker...
Since I was in High School, I wanted to pursue a career in law enforcement, but I listened to my overprotective mother, and just found a career in what I knew best at the time. So now after talking it over with my wife, I am going to look into MO State Highway Patrol training, but I am still up on the fence about if its the right choice. She is on board with me on the decision because she wants me to spend the rest of my life in a career that I can enjoy every day. I want to pursue it because I want to have a career that has meaning, saving lives, protecting the public, etc.

I'm asking for any input you guys/gals might have to possibly make my decision easier. I came to the Wayalife for information because I haven't been misdirected here in the past. Any Troopers out there that can feed me some information? MO State Troopers?:)

I'm 43 and just went through the same issue. I've been in Manufacturing for over twenty years, but have always wanted to be in Law Enforcement. I too was tired of the path I chose and wanted to enjoy my employment more so than I do now. So I applied everywhere I could locally and had a few interviews, but of course I had some issues in the Military that most of them couldn't overlook; even though I was a very young adult at the time. Needless to say, I was turned down at every turn. But I have to count my blessings that I continue to have a cushy job with good pay. Perhaps the grass isn't always greener on the other side....don't ask me, I won't have a chance to find out anyway.

Good luck with your pursuit. I hope you get what you're looking for.

Read Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's "On Combat".
Then re-read it.

Do some serious gut checking along the way and see if LE is the right choice for you.

Go on ride alongs, multiple not one, with different agency's. If it is what you think it is then do it. Remember that it's shift work with odd hours and overtime when it's least welcome, like a child's birthday.

13 years ago I became a LEO at the age of 32. It was the best decision I ever made. Rotating shifts, working nights, weekends and holidays takes getting used to, but you will. Depending on the size of the department you work for there may be room for advancement like special units (K-9, SERT, CID). I have been in CID for the last 5 years and the schedule is great. There are a lot things you see on the job that other people would have a hard time with, like the accident scenes you mentioned, and things that one person can do to another. I would like to say that a normal person should never get used to seeing things like that but you learn to the same way doctors, nurses, medics and firemen do. I am biased but I say go for it.

As a former police officer, I can tell you it was the best job I ever had, I loved it so much that I would have done it for free. Best years of my life.

Rotating shifts, working nights, weekends and holidays takes getting used to, but you will. Depending on the size of the department you work for there may be room for advancement like special units (K-9, SERT, CID). I have been in CID for the last 5 years and the schedule is great. There are a lot things you see on the job that other people would have a hard time with, like the accident scenes you mentioned, and things that one person can do to another. I would like to say that a normal person should never get used to seeing things like that but you learn to the same way doctors, nurses, medics and firemen do. I am biased but I say go for it.

I agree with all this. :yup:

Go for it.

Go on ride alongs, multiple not one, with different agency's. If it is what you think it is then do it. Remember that it's shift work with odd hours and overtime when it's least welcome, like a child's birthday.

The odd hours I think I can get used to. My wife is a Radiology tech, so her hours always change and she works a lot of weekends. A lot to consider though

Find a job that you love and you will never work a day in your life. That's what my father told me and I live by it. Good luck man!

As a former police officer, I can tell you it was the best job I ever had, I loved it so much that I would have done it for free. Best years of my life.

They paid me so cheap I practically worked for free!! But I agree best job I've ever had. The bond I had with my fellow officers, I don't think I'll ever have again.

Last edited:
Good for you for taking the steps towards personal growth and happiness.

Do what everyone here is telling you to do, some great advice here! Also stash some money away for the job transition process in case you end up going a month or more with little to no pay. Always helps to have 3 Months worth of bill money stashed away for a rainy day.

Hope this works out for you man. I'm a 35 year old college dropout that lucked my way into a very good paying job that sucks a part of my soul into oblivion every day. Don't be like me lol.

Go for it and make it happen. At least you know what you want to do. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

I spent 17 years as a tech for Motorola then got laid off, found myself at 38 yrs old in an industry that was declining with a house that I just got a year ago. For every job opening that came up there were hundreds of other laid off and fresh out of school people going after it for a lot less money. I decided it was time for a change, so I took my severance package, savings, and sold my house and finished my pilot ratings. spent 2 1/2 yr as a flight instructor teaching people to fly helicopters then 1 1/2 yrs in Vegas flying tours to the Grand Canyon and the past 5 yrs flying medevac in Pa, and Kansas. Have not regretted it once, I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off and couldn't imagine doing anything else.
Sorry for the long winded answer but 30 is definitely not too old to change careers and getting up everyday to go to a job you enjoy makes up for any hardship you might go thru to get there. My wife and daughter both make more money than me but they never have to listen to me complain about my job. I say go for it because if you are happy at work you will be happier at home. Good luck. Jeff

Good for you for taking the steps towards personal growth and happiness.

Do what everyone here is telling you to do, some great advice here! Also stash some money away for the job transition process in case you end up going a month or more with little to no pay. Always helps to have 3 Months worth of bill money stashed away for a rainy day.

Hope this works out for you man. I'm a 35 year old college dropout that lucked my way into a very good paying job that sucks a part of my soul into oblivion every day. Don't be like me lol.

Go for it and make it happen. At least you know what you want to do. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Not sure the money will be too much of an issue, but it's good to have a pillow when needed. Apparently the MO Highway Patrol pays full time salary while in the academy. You're third paragraph...:cheesy:

I've been a policeman for 25 years. I would no longer recommend this job for the same reasons mentioned above. The job used to be about honor, respect, pride, service, and duty.... In my opinion society has shifted away from these things. I'd go a different route today. My 2 cents.

Flash

Top Bottom