Career Change at 30?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I have a lot on my mind right now. I'm pondering a career change at the age of 30. Right now I'm married, two kids (2 yr old and 4 month old). I have a good job as a service writer/tire salesman at an independently owned shop in my hometown. I went to a well known technical college for Automotive collision repair and graduated with certifications. Now after being in the automotive repair field for 10+ years, I need a change. I'm bored with what I do...I know some of you guys would think that messing around with cars all day is the job to have, but to be honest its a lot different than wrenching on custom cars and Jeeps when 90% of the vehicles that come through the door are your run-of-mill Buick Lesabre or Ford Taurus.

Here's the kicker...
Since I was in High School, I wanted to pursue a career in law enforcement, but I listened to my overprotective mother, and just found a career in what I knew best at the time. So now after talking it over with my wife, I am going to look into MO State Highway Patrol training, but I am still up on the fence about if its the right choice. She is on board with me on the decision because she wants me to spend the rest of my life in a career that I can enjoy every day. I want to pursue it because I want to have a career that has meaning, saving lives, protecting the public, etc.

I'm asking for any input you guys/gals might have to possibly make my decision easier. I came to the Wayalife for information because I haven't been misdirected here in the past. Any Troopers out there that can feed me some information? MO State Troopers?:)

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Follow your dreams. Doesn't make sense to work the rest of your career at a job you don't care for. Good luck in your decision!

MTG

Caught the Bug
30 years is relatively young. I didn't start my current career until I was 30.

If you work 40hrs/wk and take a two week vacation that is 2000 hours spent at work during the year. That's a lot of time spent doing something if you are not happy. :yup:

I've always said to people "If you are not happy doing what you are doing, do something else." Generally this is to people who piss and moan about their jobs.

Of course there are always upsides and downsides to every job and it seems to ebb and flow through the year. So generally, my gauge on whether it is time for change is whether I dread going into work on Monday morning. Every time I've changed jobs it was because Monday morning started weighing on me around Sunday afternoon. Life is way to short to spend in that kind of misery.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

I have a lot on my mind right now. I'm pondering a career change at the age of 30. Right now I'm married, two kids (2 yr old and 4 month old). I have a good job as a service writer/tire salesman at an independently owned shop in my hometown. I went to a well known technical college for Automotive collision repair and graduated with certifications. Now after being in the automotive repair field for 10+ years, I need a change. I'm bored with what I do...I know some of you guys would think that messing around with cars all day is the job to have, but to be honest its a lot different than wrenching on custom cars and Jeeps when 90% of the vehicles that come through the door are your run-of-mill Buick Lesabre or Ford Taurus.

Here's the kicker...
Since I was in High School, I wanted to pursue a career in law enforcement, but I listened to my overprotective mother, and just found a career in what I knew best at the time. So now after talking it over with my wife, I am going to look into MO State Highway Patrol training, but I am still up on the fence about if its the right choice. She is on board with me on the decision because she wants me to spend the rest of my life in a career that I can enjoy every day. I want to pursue it because I want to have a career that has meaning, saving lives, protecting the public, etc.

I'm asking for any input you guys/gals might have to possibly make my decision easier. I came to the Wayalife for information because I haven't been misdirected here in the past. Any Troopers out there that can feed me some information? MO State Troopers?:)

You only live once. This isn't a trial run at the game of life. Do what makes you happy.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Go for it, no one says you have to retire from it. If you end up not liking it, it will help you on the resume.

JAGS

Hooked
30 years is relatively young. I didn't start my current career until I was 30.

If you work 40hrs/wk and take a two week vacation that is 2000 hours spent at work during the year. That's a lot of time spent doing something if you are not happy. :yup:

I've always said to people "If you are not happy doing what you are doing, do something else." Generally this is to people who piss and moan about their jobs.

Of course there are always upsides and downsides to every job and it seems to ebb and flow through the year. So generally, my gauge on whether it is time for change is whether I dread going into work on Monday morning. Every time I've changed jobs it was because Monday morning started weighing on me around Sunday afternoon. Life is way to short to spend in that kind of misery.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Best thing to do is start the work week on Tuesday. ;)

In all seriousness OP, MTG has provided another good advise post. :yup: 30 isn't as old as you think. You'll know what I mean when you turn 40. :crazyeyes: Everyone goes through there own journeys in life. Sometime you pick the adventure, sometimes it's chosen for you. A career or a job is not a life sentence. I've always tried to tell myself this.... "Do what you love and you'll love what you do." Not unlike MTGs note above. If your current situation is eating at you enough to post up, then it might a sign of change to come. If that is the case, follow what your heart tells you.

MICP3309

DO IT!! but if you are make it fast, most State Police have an age limit to start as a Trooper. From 32 to 35 dependent on state. Oh, and start running A LOT!! for the academy.

Peak

You still have a long life ahead of you, follow your heart and I'm sure you will be happy with your decision. When my brother graduated the corrections academy there was a 52 and a 48 year old in his class. You can do it!

thardy

Banned
I'm right there with you. I'm thirty and starting a new job on Monday in a completely different field than I've been in for the last 5 years. Follow what makes you happy man!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I do not believe in "careers". I have a friend that has a "career". She is always at work, can't watch her kids. She needs a nanny to help out. I have started over three times in the last 6 years. Life is short and what you make of it. Money is not everything(to me) it is what you do with your life that you enjoy. Never too young to start over again.

A lot have said go for it and I am on board with pursuing your dreams: however you must also think about the what you will be getting into. As a recent graduate from the academy you will more than likely be assigned to the night shift along with weekends and holidays until you build up some time. This can be tough especially with little ones. I recently retired from the US Navy and the biggest reason was not being able to spend time with my family like I wanted, oh yeah I did not get promoted either but that was a blessing. Might I also suggest you contact the local police department and do a ride along. It will give you a better idea of what you might be getting into. I know for me rolling up on a fatal car accident and then processing the scene is just not for me. I do not mean to be negative but I wanted to be realistic and point out what expectations you will run into.

I changed careers at 44 after leaving the US Navy.

R/
Will

jeff_in_rc

Like the others have said, "go for it and don't look back!" Hell I'm pushing 60 and if I knew how to fab and weld I would change careers in a heartbeat!
Been in telecommunications for almost 40 years and it has changed a LOT in that time and the new stuff is not what the old stuff used to be.

I was in your shoes...

Go for it!

Alright,

So a couple of years out of high school I got a job with a school district. Few years into that I tested/competed for an entry level diesel mechanic job and got it. Worked my way up in the shop over a couple of years. Secure job, decent pay and all the overtime I wanted. And I was bored out of my mind.

Growing up I always knew I was going to be in the mechanic type field. So I was doing what I always wanted to do but I was tired of it. Totally burnt out on working on big rigs and buses that I even began to hate working on my own cars. Something I always very much enjoyed.

In my early 20's I decided there was no way I could do that until retirement age. I quit my job under very good terms and haven't looked back since.

My advice.
Do what you think will make you happy. You won't truly know until you try. Just know that whatever career choice you make there will be pitfalls.

MO isn't exactly the most LE friendly state especially in light of this past year. Good luck to you and start running yesterday!

Don't go to the academy out of shape.....

JayKay

Caught the Bug
A lot have said go for it and I am on board with pursuing your dreams: however you must also think about the what you will be getting into. As a recent graduate from the academy you will more than likely be assigned to the night shift along with weekends and holidays until you build up some time. This can be tough especially with little ones. I recently retired from the US Navy and the biggest reason was not being able to spend time with my family like I wanted, oh yeah I did not get promoted either but that was a blessing. Might I also suggest you contact the local police department and do a ride along. It will give you a better idea of what you might be getting into. I know for me rolling up on a fatal car accident and then processing the scene is just not for me. I do not mean to be negative but I wanted to be realistic and point out what expectations you will run into.

I changed careers at 44 after leaving the US Navy.

R/
Will
Appreciate the negativity Canvas ;) There is just so much to think about! And believe me, the accident scenes are the one thing I'm most concerned about. I do understand that the job doesn't only entail flashing lights and driving a tax payer owned Hemi Charger at high speed:crazyeyes: As far as working nights and weekends, I worked 12 hour nights at a machine shop a few years back, I could live with it then, but having the kids now it may be a lot tougher. If I end up going through with the decision, I think the Pros will outweigh the Cons. Thanks everyone for your input, feel free to keep the replies coming.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Funny...I was OVAL when I was working in the shop, now I'm ROUND since I've been working in the office. :yup:

I took a physical test for a PD a year or two ago. My gut stopped me from going over the 6 foot wall. I made it the second time when I adjusted for my stomach., lol.

I took the academy when I was 21, passed it no problems at all. No that I'm in my 30's those tests kick my ass. It's good advise to start preparing now. If I would have scored higher on the physical I might be back in law enforcement by now. To many beers and cigars I guess.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I took a physical test for a PD a year or two ago. My gut stopped me from going over the 6 foot wall. I made it the second time when I adjusted for my stomach., lol.

I took the academy when I was 21, passed it no problems at all. No that I'm in my 30's those tests kick my ass. It's good advise to start preparing now. If I would have scored higher on the physical I might be back in law enforcement by now. To many beers and cigars I guess.
Yeah, that's my problem now. When I was 18, it would've been easy. I would love to work out every day, but a toddler and an infant soak up any free time I have. If I'm motivated enough to pursue this career change, I'll be sure to make the time to get into shape and stay in shape. Especially since my life will depend on it, if you know what I mean.

Top Bottom