And so it Begins... the 392

jeeeep

Hooked
Glad I clicked on this thread...I love everything about the JL but I feel like I'm in a coffin. Especially with the hard top on. Thought I was crazy.
I broke down and bought the seat bracket to move the seat further back. JK has more usable space in the back and under the back seat.

Reactions: MTG

kevman65

Hooked
I crawled up under my 392 today and took a photo of the harness tag (with collision sensors) if you zoom in you can see the part number is P68414891AB I searched for this number with no success Maybe one of you guys can figure out what this harness costs and if it is available View attachment 389765
The "P" isn't in the number, "68414891AB" is the the part number. The "AB" means there has been a change in the part from original part, but not enough to justify a new part number. They can make several changes and just change the last letter before they change the actual number.

Newer MOPAR parts never start with a letter.

Chrysler TPMS can be a PITA. If you have the programmer that plugs in to the OBD you should be able to write them to the vehicle. Then you will still need to drive it above 25mph for 20min or more. Theoretically as long as they are the correct mhz (most likely 433mhz) it supposed to be a “drive to reset” vehicle but I have had several that took multiple tries to get them to read. Also make sure your scanner is set for a 5 tire system not 4. To add to the fun sometimes it will pick up the spare instead of one of the rears and give you a duplicate sensor message. When you do the re learn pull it out of the shop away from your other Jeeps so it doesn’t pick up one off another vehicle. Good times!

What about JK sensors that have a different frequency 315 MHz? I got a set of almost free JK Rubi rims and tires. They have the original TPMS. Anyone know What is required to get them to sync with my 2022 JL?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What about JK sensors that have a different frequency 315 MHz? I got a set of almost free JK Rubi rims and tires. They have the original TPMS. Anyone know What is required to get them to sync with my 2022 JL?
Can’t use them. None of the jl frequencies (that I have seen) are that low and the proper modules will not read them

FIRST IMPRESSIONS POST MODIFICATION
Okay, so Cindy and I went for our first real test drive since installing a 4" Rancho lift with RS7MT shocks and 38" Nitto Ridge Grappler tires and these are some of the things I can say about our initial experience.

1. While there's still plenty of power, we still feel like there is a measurable amount of power loss. In talking to Cindy about it, I think she put it best by saying that it's still fun but, when it was stock, she'd step on the gas and it would make her giggle. Off the line, it'll move well but when it comes to passing on the highway - eh, it's just okay. Kinda feels like Moby now only, he's running 40's and 1-tons. Needless to say, a regear is something we're discussing.

2. The ride that the Rancho lift and RS7MT shocks provide is surprisingly nice. We always felt that the factory suspension system was way too soft and we bottomed out far more than we felt it should. Now, the ride is firmer but in a good way. I would go so far as to say, more responsive. Hard to say how long they would last bombing across the desert but I would imagine more so than hydros would.

3. Obviously, we've run 38" Ridge Grapplers in the past and always loved that they were load range C tires. I have little doubt that a lot of what pleases us about our ride is in a big way, in part due to these tires. They are quite, comfortable and did I mention, when mounting them up, only 2 of the 5 tires had yellow dots. This as opposed to 3 of the 5 factory BFG's having red dots. In other words, they feel very very round.

4. We noticed that we now have our traction control kicking on about 3/4 of the way through a u-turn in either direction but only if we're moving through it and accelerating. If we go slowly, all is good. Currently, our best guess is that this has something to do with body roll and something on the Jeep picking it up. Not 100% sure but it's the only thing I can really think of right now. At 4" of lift, a track bar relocation at least in the rear would help this and I'll most likely try to start to address this issue there.

5. We purposefully bought our 392 with the Mopar HD tire carrier so that we could run a bigger spare. And, while it will help the tailgate hold the weight, you do need the relocation/spacer kit to do it or at least, if you keep the factory bumper. The problem with this is, with 3.5" back spaced wheels, the rubber isolators they provide still sit a long way from the sidewall. I was able to help things along buy installing Energy Suspension extended isolators and installing the factory rubber ones on them and there is good push now but, not enough to keep things firmly still when hitting big bumps. There still is some movement and enough that we can hear and see it. This has been a let down.

6. For those of you who don't know, there have been a number of TPMS changes over the years and the most recent of which was done back in June of 2021. Knowing this, I made sure to order what I thought was the correct TPMS, has the vendor VIN check it and in spite that, our TPMS does NOT work. Serious pain in the ass and one that I'm a bit disappointed about.

There's probably more I could add to this but I'll need to give it some thought. Anyway, hope this info is helpful to others considering the path of modifying their 392 :cool:

The level of detail in your post is great. and FYI ... I found this specific post when using google to search TPMS. Because....

I picked up a set of JK Rubi wheels and tires for almost free, look great, ride great. They have JK TPMS - which is not compatible with my JL so I need to either switch the TPMS around or buy a new set for these wheels that will work with my JL.

Switching will cost me $10/tire * 10 tires = 100 at Discount Tire. Which is less than the cost of buying new TPMS.

So I will then have a set of 5, stock michellin road tires from my JL sport on the black steely rims - with 11,000 miles on them - and JK TPMS sensors. Should I try to sell them? It's a great tire for street.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Time to test out a little bling...
20230716144415-77c44d6b.jpg

20230716144423-1556ded1.jpg

20230716144428-a748b871.jpg

kevman65

Hooked
The adjustablity is great. They are smooth throughout the stroke in either direction.

Mine on my ZRX1200 were a coil over, so that's going to be different. But the coil was set for my weight + the bike weight, then the shocks were valved to that weight combination with the coil.

Hard part is finding an authorized factory rebuild rep. There are tons that claim it, but there's only a handful here in the States.

kevman65

Hooked
Interesting...I'm not familiar with this company...
Motorcycles mainly in the past.

I think they've outfitted a few trucks in the Baja series and stadium trucks.

Originally from Sweden, but I think a U.S. company bought the motor sports division.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The adjustablity is great. They are smooth throughout the stroke in either direction.

Mine on my ZRX1200 were a coil over, so that's going to be different. But the coil was set for my weight + the bike weight, then the shocks were valved to that weight combination with the coil.

Hard part is finding an authorized factory rebuild rep. There are tons that claim it, but there's only a handful here in the States.
Yeah, I've heard nothing but massive praise from guys who've run them on motorcycles and bikes. I know they're based out of North Carolina and that would be your best bet to get them serviced. The down side is that you'd have to ship your shocks to them but then, same is true with King or the like.
Oh man, really looking forward to your input on these!! And to echo others, hope they are as good as their motorcycle shocks. They certainly look awesome!
Hoping to test them out as soon as I can :)
Interesting...I'm not familiar with this company...
LOL - I'm embarrassed to say, neither was I but have since found that they've been around for over 40 years and are renowned around the world.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Motorcycles mainly in the past.

I think they've outfitted a few trucks in the Baja series and stadium trucks.

Originally from Sweden, but I think a U.S. company bought the motor sports division.
They were bought out but still operate out of Sweden and now have a USA division in NC. Talking to the engineers in Sweden has been a bit of a challenge too thanks to the time difference LOL

JT@623

Hooked
Ran there shocks on my Yamaha Banshee back in the day they were hands down better than most I tried. Looking forward to see how they perform on a Jeep 👍

Spazbyt

Hooked
That's a new brand to me. They look very well built from what I can see. I'm curious how well you think they stack up against other brands.

JT@623

Hooked
That's a new brand to me. They look very well built from what I can see. I'm curious how well you think they stack up against other brands.
They are expensive at around $8K for a set of 4 you probably won’t see many around.
they’ve been big in the bike and road race scene for s long time.

Top Bottom