And so it Begins... the 392

Moved the 392 up to the front garage and was surprised (or maybe not) to see that it stands taller than Moby. Just squeaked in under the header LOL
View attachment 389156
Mine with no lift and the Clayton HD springs sits just about level with my JK on 40ā€™s also. It sure doesnā€™t seem as high when you go to get in though but I think thatā€™s do to the big hard blusters on the mastercraft seats lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing.... Hardtop is going to be some of that but wouldn't have though Moby would be shorter on 40s
Well, to be fair, Moby is running coilovers and trimmed fenders. This has allowed us to purposefully set his ride height as low as possible and still clear 40's. With the full fenders and spring/shock setup, this amount of lift is what's needed to clear the 38's.

benatc1

Hooked
Well, to be fair, Moby is running coilovers and trimmed fenders. This has allowed us to purposefully set his ride height as low as possible and still clear 40's. With the full fenders and spring/shock setup, this amount of lift is what's needed to clear the 38's.
Iā€™m starting to think 2.5ā€ of lift wonā€™t be enough for 38s, without a trim, which I donā€™t want to do at this point. Might be looking to go 3-3.5 instead

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Iā€™m starting to think 2.5ā€ of lift wonā€™t be enough for 38s, without a trim, which I donā€™t want to do at this point. Might be looking to go 3-3.5 instead
If you want to keep your full fenders, going taller is really your only option or at least, to help prevent rubbing at a flex. For us, we've always like the factory full fender look on the JL and want to keep our 392 looking as factory as possible.

benatc1

Hooked
If you want to keep your full fenders, going taller is really your only option or at least, to help prevent rubbing at a flex. For us, we've always like the factory full fender look on the JL and want to keep our 392 looking as factory as possible.
Iā€™m with you, I really like the factory fender.. taller it is!

I run just the Clayton HD spring kit on my 392 as I didnā€™t want it any higher. To clear the 38ā€™s at full flex I had to trim the rear pinch seam and did the quake LED fender trim kit. Which I think youā€™ll still probably have to trim the pinch seam to clear the 38ā€™s at full stuff.

benatc1

Hooked
I run just the Clayton HD spring kit on my 392 as I didnā€™t want it any higher. To clear the 38ā€™s at full flex I had to trim the rear pinch seam and did the quake LED fender trim kit. Which I think youā€™ll still probably have to trim the pinch seam to clear the 38ā€™s at full stuff.
Iā€™m just one of those normal people with a regular Rubicon, so Iā€™ll need a little lift, as the 392 is already ā€œlifted ā€œ . But thatā€™s good info for the chosen ones lol.

Why1504

Caught the Bug
Eddie, any updates here? Did you re-calibrate your Speedo? How did you do this?

Do you think an aftermarket bumper/tire carrier like LoD where they do some re-location of the camera would fix the collision avoidance?

Why did you choose the lift kit you picked over Evo or another brand?

Thanks!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, any updates here? Did you re-calibrate your Speedo? How did you do this?

Do you think an aftermarket bumper/tire carrier like LoD where they do some re-location of the camera would fix the collision avoidance?

Why did you choose the lift kit you picked over Evo or another brand?

Thanks!!!
So, this time around, I decided to use a Tazer Mini to set my tire size. This video is essentially the same thing.

That said, I chose to go Tazer again for all the features it has plus one other and I hope to have a video out on it very soon.

As far as bumper tire carriers go, LoD makes a nice one and I've run them in the past. However, they are heavy and for quite some time now, I've been running bumperless on most of my Jeeps. I'll most likely do that on our 392 as well.

Regarding lift kits, it's hard to beat EVO or RockJock and there are a lot of other great kits out there but I decided to install Rancho this time because I feel like they don't get the credit they deserve and I wanted to use the opportunity to show others that you don't need to empty every pocket to get a good lift. I have a video on this coming out soon as well.

duktrx

Regarding lift kits, it's hard to beat EVO or RockJock and there are a lot of other great kits out there but I decided to install Rancho this time because I feel like they don't get the credit they deserve and I wanted to use the opportunity to show others that you don't need to empty every pocket to get a good lift. I have a video on this coming out soon as well.
So you are saying you went CHEEP, Can't Handle Emptying Every Pocket, instead of JEEP.šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

Why1504

Caught the Bug
Eddie, are there any issues with the Tazer Mini effecting warranty coverage?

If you remove the rear bumper, on the 392, how will you deal with the backup sensors in the bumper?

Last edited:

If you remove the rear bumper, on the 392, how will you deal with the backup sensors in the bumper?
You can unmarry it from the Jeep temporarily for dealer service I believe, refer to Eddie's video posted above I think he mentions that if I'm not mistaken.

If you remove the bumper I guess you'll have no backup sensors... maybe the Tazer can disable them entirely.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

What DirtHeadDavis said, you should ALWAYS restore your settings back to stock anytime you take your Jeep to the dealership. And yes, Tazer will allow you to completely disable the sensors - which, I personally hate anyway.

Welp, things are finally happening...

20230426092733-551b377b.jpg

20230426092724-d93acc51.jpg

20230426092739-404bb590.jpg

20230426092725-ef32af76.jpg

20230426092727-98118392.jpg
Questionā€¦ did you get any crazy spring bow in the front with the Rancho 3.5ā€ springs?

Why1504

Caught the Bug
Eddie, thanks for all of your comments. I think the Tazer Mini needs to go on my list now. I have watched the video on the bumper removal. I will need to make a disconnect for the license plate lights for the time when our plates change. I wish I could mock up a wiring harness without cutting up the OEM harness but I may have a plan there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, thanks for all of your comments. I think the Tazer Mini needs to go on my list now. I have watched the video on the bumper removal. I will need to make a disconnect for the license plate lights for the time when our plates change. I wish I could mock up a wiring harness without cutting up the OEM harness but I may have a plan there.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Top Bottom