And so it Begins... the 392

Lperdue

4.88 is what we're thinking too.
4.88 may be a little to much for 38s bubba normally would recommend 4.88 for 40s and 4.56 for 38s but then again the off the line feel won’t be the same. But one thing to consider I believe with 4.56 you have two teeth of the ring in pinion engaged vs one tooth when you go with a 4.88/5.13

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s great feedback, I’m assuming you’ll be addressing the tire carrier? Also, I hope you can get the TPMS sorted with without having to replace cause man that would suck balls to have to break those down.
Yeah, I'm gonna try and see if there's anything I can do with what I have now to reinforce things. But, if I have to, there's always the EVO or Rusty's tire carrier.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Chrysler TPMS can be a PITA. If you have the programmer that plugs in to the OBD you should be able to write them to the vehicle. Then you will still need to drive it above 25mph for 20min or more. Theoretically as long as they are the correct mhz (most likely 433mhz) it supposed to be a “drive to reset” vehicle but I have had several that took multiple tries to get them to read. Also make sure your scanner is set for a 5 tire system not 4. To add to the fun sometimes it will pick up the spare instead of one of the rears and give you a duplicate sensor message. When you do the re learn pull it out of the shop away from your other Jeeps so it doesn’t pick up one off another vehicle. Good times!
Yeah, I kinda knew thing would go this way. I was just hopeful it wouldn't be. For now, I can just turn the TPMS off. Hell, I lived most of my driving life without it, I'm sure I can manage without it now LOL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t think so, unfortunately with that much back spacing your tire is in the field of view of the sensors found on the bumper and thinks something is behind you. Relocating Jaela’s tire up 2 inches helped but the problem is still there. It wasn’t until we had an adjustable mount where we could pull the tire against the body of the Jeep fixed the problem all together.
Yeah, you could be right on this. Makes sense anyway. Fortunately, I was able to turn it off with my Tazer and all is good now :)
4.88 may be a little to much for 38s bubba normally would recommend 4.88 for 40s and 4.56 for 38s but then again the off the line feel won’t be the same. But one thing to consider I believe with 4.56 you have two teeth of the ring in pinion engaged vs one tooth when you go with a 4.88/5.13
LOL - I know I'm new to this Jeeping thing and couldn't name drop a social media influencer if my life depended on it but really, that is some of the stupidest shit I have ever heard anyone recommend. Back when it was available, the 392 with the XR package came with 4.56 gears and that was with 35" tires. If anything. 4.88 is on the low side for 38's and from my limited personal experience, I can tell you that 5.13 is barely enough for 40's. Well, at least for anyone who actually wheels their Jeep. And, not to sound full of myself but really, anyone who can afford to buy a 392 can certainly afford to buy a replacement or upgrade axle IF they were to break the factory one. If not, they really shouldn't be thinking about regearing or modding at all. But again, what would I know :cool:

Last edited:

Lperdue

Yeah, you could be right on this. Makes sense anyway. Fortunately, I was able to turn it off with my Tazer and all is good now :)

LOL - I know I'm new to this Jeeping thing and couldn't name drop a social media influencer if my life depended on it but really, that is some of the stupidest shit I have ever heard anyone recommend. Back when it was available, the 392 with the XR package came with 4.56 gears and that was with 35" tires. If anything. 4.88 is on the low side for 38's and from my limited personal experience, I can tell you that 5.13 is barely enough for 40's. Well, at least for anyone who actually wheels their Jeep. And, not to sound full of myself but really, anyone who can afford to buy a 392 can certainly afford to buy a replacement or upgrade axle IF they were to break the factory one. If not, they really shouldn't be thinking about regearing or modding at all. But again, what would I know :cool:
I wasn’t trying to offend if I did. But I see your point.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn’t trying to offend if I did.
LOL - I think maybe that should be my line. And, I hope you know that my comments weren't directed toward you but rather, toward the really bad recommendation you heard. I can only go off of personal experience and again, based on the limited amount I have running and wheeling a whole host of gear ratios and setups on all kinds of Jeeps with different motors, that shit was just stupid... to me anyway.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
So, after much debate, Cindy and I decided to keep the factory 392 wheels for possible future use and get an aftermarket wheel for now... maybe indefinitely. And, as much as we like the look of the Dirty Life wheels, it was hard not for us to buy what we've always known to work and work well - a set of KMC. Specifically, Grenade Crawl beadlocks like what we have on our Gladiator.

To me, these really are a great looking wheel, maybe one of the best KMC has made and I think they'll look great on a white 392. Here's a shot of what they look like mounted up on a 38" Nitto Ridge Grappler.

20230430100230-c3695b6f.jpg
Good call. I like the KMC over all the others. I love my Machetes and will never get tired of them. Never saw much difference between the two. (Crawl and Machete) I like the fancy rings but not the mounting hardware. Lookin Good.
20211004_114015.jpg

duktrx

Moved the 392 up to the front garage and was surprised (or maybe not) to see that it stands taller than Moby. Just squeaked in under the header LOL
View attachment 389156

So, Moby is the older brother and wears the bigger shoes; however, he is shorter and more agile and does so with a smaller transplanted heart.

So when are you going to have the sibling Olympics?

Looking at them side by side, it appears that the tub of a JL is taller than the tub of a JK. The hitch of your 392 looks slightly lower than Moby's, yet the top of the tub is noticeably higher.

waynem

Moved the 392 up to the front garage and was surprised (or maybe not) to see that it stands taller than Moby. Just squeaked in under the header LOL
Amazing.... Hardtop is going to be some of that but wouldn't have though Moby would be shorter on 40s

Top Bottom