Roll Cages Rock Hard 4x4 or Poison Spyder?

bhaner

I'd be willing to bet that MOST of you have never even seen a roll over in person let alone a flop.

You just gotta wheel with toyota's more often...

60094581_10157235975816703_3701196695917297664_o.jpg

18557155_10213308702377137_8595906587454205835_n.jpg

The way I see it... Shit happens. You just hope you have set yourself up the best you can when it does.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The way I see it... Shit happens. You just hope you have set yourself up the best you can when it does.

LOL - well hell, if that's the case, maybe you should install an exocage like them. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL! Yeah... I'm out. :cheesy:

Yota guys with full exos are dime a dozen around here. Up on the Rubicon, they'll outnumber Jeeps 10 to 1 on most weekends. I have to think all that extra weight high up top and with leafs below can't help anything. Either way, you don't need floor mounts or a cage welded to the frame for a flop or even a tip on the lid like that. I guarantee you that a factory rollbar will hold up to both just fine. Again, anything more you can add to it will only help that much more.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
The 1993 engineering held up ok after parking upside down so I just bank on the JKs being more advanced. (that being said, I did put a full cage in after this tumble)

Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
As far as additional impact points go, that's no joke. If you're not wearing a helmet, you're just giving yourself more places to injure yourself.

This is why I have always laughed at the money spent doing fancy powdercoat on a cage. That shit should be padded up, not polished for presentation.

I’ve been in one rollover (not in a Jeep) and I was thrown from the vehicle. They aren’t super fun. No question though that the full cage kept the driver from getting really tweaked.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bhaner

Yota guys with full exos are dime a dozen around here. Up on the Rubicon, they'll outnumber Jeeps 10 to 1 on most weekends. I have to think all that extra weight high up top and with leafs below can't help anything. Either way, you don't need floor mounts or a cage welded to the frame for a flop or even a tip on the lid like that. I guarantee you that a factory rollbar will hold up to both just fine. Again, anything more you can add to it will only help that much more.

True story...

MericaMade

LOL - I just gotta say, all this talk about cages and floor mounts and safety, really cracks me up. I mean, I'd be willing to bet that MOST of you have never even seen a roll over in person let alone a flop. I am by no means trying to suggest that having a cage is a bad thing but you're kidding yourself if you really believe that the factory roll bar won't hold up pretty well all on its own. ANYTHING you add to it will only help it that much more. Unless you're going to race your Jeep as in, HIGH SPEED Ultra 4 or otherwise, you really don't need floor mounts, frame mounts or all that other shit. Of course, if you just want all that other shit because it looks cool or so that you can tell people how what you chose to buy is so much better, well, there's that. :crazyeyes:

Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so, what would I know.

20200801_141741.jpg

I saw one a few weeks ago lol.

So Eddie something like RH4x4 is gonna be fine in your opinion? I am more concerned about slow roll over on a obstacle.

Edit: Nevermind you answer my question above.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw one a few weeks ago lol.

So Eddie something like RH4x4 is gonna be fine in your opinion? I am more concerned about slow roll over on a obstacle.

Yes. It's what I still have in Moby and I've never felt the need for more. I have personally seen a 2-door JK with a similar cage survive a roll at 70 MPH. I guarantee you that no obstacle you can take on the trail and have things go wrong will be as traumatic as that.

Ddays

Hooked
I wouldn't class that one as a roll over.

That one was about as gentle as it gets!

We will just say he was taking a quick nap... :cheesy:

I knew I shouldn't have eaten one of those damn gummies that morning we got in Colorado on the way....

I would say more like showing off and challenging the rest of us.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Definitely an alternate line.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Lol, I like this pic much better.

HG.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Still impressive as hell you got thing upright and all with as little scratches as you did. Much props to you for remaining as calm as you did.

This is the only evidence. No marks on the mirror - it folded in nice & easy. I remember watching it wondering if the glass was gonna break. :crazyeyes: I'd consider that a win.

roof.jpg

jdofmemi

Just my $0.02...........
I do enough dumb stuff that I think it will be a better option. I don't trust the way the Evo and others tie into the factory windshield bars.

I also like the "B" pillar chop option. There are a few spots that I would like to go that may require removing/folding down the windshield and using the cage as an anti-rollover device........

If anyone had any remaining doubts as to your level of crazy, this should alleviate them.

That said, I want to watch👍

View attachment 352402

View attachment 352403

True. I put mine on the roof twice over the years, once being dumb doing donuts in mud, and once on a failed attempt at a pretty tough obstacle.

The first time the A pillar crushed down, but the seating area was intact.

The second time I had a Smittybuilt bolt in cage, with full padding. The padding pushes hard against the body, and I didn't even break a window.

A simple cage like that is more than enough for a low speed flop or rollover.

All the other stuff, like Eddie said, is either to brag about, or if you are racing for real.

A high speed rollover gets bad in a hurry, and if you don't have a helmet, the cage will just as likely kill you as it will save you.

I wouldn't class that one as a roll over.

That one was about as gentle as it gets!

We will just say he was taking a quick nap... :cheesy:

That barely can even count as a flop, since he drove it out unassisted, except for some excellent spotting.

Top Bottom