Roll Cages Rock Hard 4x4 or Poison Spyder?

MericaMade

Been looking at cages since helping a friend install his Poison Spyder one. There was a lot of things I liked about the PS cage, but he mentioned that he can see the body move around the cage. Is this common?

I like how the RH4x4 cage integrates to the factory roll cage, but I also like how the PS cage ties into the floor.

I know a few of you are running the Rock Hard cage and wanted some feedback on them. Is one cage stronger than the other and what are some of the pros and cons to each?

Last edited:

Robertcrav

Not related to your question, but I wish Synergy still made their cage kit

Doesn't Evo make a bolt in cage?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
EVO is by far the nicest. They don’t make it anymore.

RockHard is way easier to install and remove if you need to.

And a tip before you install the cage, replace your dash speakers with a quality speaker. You can’t get to them after the cage install.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
The EVO cage was pretty nice, too bad they don't offer it anymore. Having said that, the RH is pretty nice too. I like how it matches the factory round bars and dia.
Not tying into the floor isn't a big to me because IMO these bars are peace of mind for a slow roll or tipover situation so bolting to the floor wasn't a must. I think the only
knock on the PS cage is it can be squeaky unless you tie it into the windshield frame. JKBrick just did a PS cage - maybe Mark can chime in.

JK_0311

Personally, I have the RH cage and would not recommend it to anyone. The fitment is poor,
I have a 2012 and had to grind a lot of my dash corners away. And my doors had marks from the A-Pillar mounts, showing how bad it really fits.

Also, if you have a soft top, you’ll have to grind a ton of a plastic away to get the brackets up top to work. I grinded some away but after seeing how much I would have to in order to get it to fit, I opted against this. I’m sure Bestop would not recommend grinding all that away. So it is technically not fully installed because of this.

And good thing they ship it with a tap, because when I did the test fit (which was a PIA) half of the bolts did not thread right. I’ve never had to rethread something I paid $700 for. And still needed to be powder coated.

And then I feel like an idiot when my buddy bought shittbilt and his fit WAY better, requiring NO threads to be tapped. It was packaged nicely and powder coated. He doesn’t have a soft top, so can’t comment on that part.

In conclusion, I would NOT recommend RH Sport Cage to anyone...especially if you have a bestop soft top.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
EVO is by far the nicest. They don’t make it anymore.

RockHard is way easier to install and remove if you need to.

And a tip before you install the cage, replace your dash speakers with a quality speaker. You can’t get to them after the cage install.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This ^^ I didn’t think about it before I put my RH cage in and kick myself for it all the time

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have a RH cage. It was kind of a pain to install but it’s a one time thing. It looks cool but I doubt it does much for safety. The bars are clamped in, not welded. There’s no triangulation. It adds a lot of weight to the Jeep. I think if you really want something that enhances safety, a full cage, like Genright’s, is the way to go rather than any of the bolt in cages.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Personally, I have the RH cage and would not recommend it to anyone. The fitment is poor,
I have a 2012 and had to grind a lot of my dash corners away. And my doors had marks from the A-Pillar mounts, showing how bad it really fits.

Also, if you have a soft top, you’ll have to grind a ton of a plastic away to get the brackets up top to work. I grinded some away but after seeing how much I would have to in order to get it to fit, I opted against this. I’m sure Bestop would not recommend grinding all that away. So it is technically not fully installed because of this.

And good thing they ship it with a tap, because when I did the test fit (which was a PIA) half of the bolts did not thread right. I’ve never had to rethread something I paid $700 for. And still needed to be powder coated.

And then I feel like an idiot when my buddy bought shittbilt and his fit WAY better, requiring NO threads to be tapped. It was packaged nicely and powder coated. He doesn’t have a soft top, so can’t comment on that part.

In conclusion, I would NOT recommend RH Sport Cage to anyone...especially if you have a bestop soft top.

I knew most of these things when I bought my RH Cage, and I got a smoking deal so I didn’t complain. That being said, I agree it’s annoying to have to tap almost every thread before even test fitting...

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Hopefully neither of you have to put your cages to the test but I bet you wouldn’t feel like such an idiot if it happens.

The cage I had in my ‘09 was great, but it isn’t made anymore. IMO they aren’t really necessary and a real weld-in would be the best way to go.

I do like the Rock Hard C-Pillar though. I have it in my ‘15 and will put one in my ‘17 also. It makes the Jeep look better with the top and doors off (IMO), doesn’t interfere with any tops, and it definitely addresses a weak point that I have seen in the aftermath photos of a few rollovers.

Top Bottom