Project Blue Jeep

dustinfromohio

Decided I don’t have time or desire to tackle this thing until spring. Reinstalled the interior, been driving it gutted with just the driver seat for a few months lying to myself that I was gonna start the big projects. It’s much nicer and quieter and somehow rides better with an everything back in. And I definitely missed the sub and the cup holder.

View attachment 339905

View attachment 339906

Random piece of carpet is structural right? 🤣
View attachment 339908

View attachment 339909

Just kidding it’s getting a temp patch tacked in real quick until spring. Then the entire pan is getting replaced.

Just crossing the fingers it makes it til April or May before I have to start surgery on it.

I did actually get a lot of work done on stupid small things. Tracked down a steering issue, rebelled brakes, drilled the holes it was missing for the hardtop (the 01 has the rear mounting holes more forward for ease of getting to the bolt instead of having a roll bar in your way so my old hardtop didn’t line up right and I’ve just been driving around without all the bolts in. Did a few other small fixes, and then a quick rinse of all the leftover grime/salt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Not sure if it will help but I believe I still have driver/passenger floor pans for a previous TJ I ended up not needing. I’ll verify I still have them but they are yours if you want em!

Not sure if it will help but I believe I still have driver/passenger floor pans for a previous TJ I ended up not needing. I’ll verify I still have them but they are yours if you want em!

Thanks man. Sadly I already bought the panels or I’d take you up on that for sure

Been down with the flu for a bit. Finally getting that desire to go back outside, one thing that’s been bugging me for the last month is the front tires won’t stay off the fenders. This is because the body mounts rusted and the body is sitting a bit lower than it should. As well as the shitty rough country coils sagging a lot. Both of these things will be fixed when warm, but for now, I grabbed the sawzall and did some clearancing.

I couldn’t even park on a snow mound right.
View attachment 341118
View attachment 341119

I should not have started with the driver side, I have to look at this side and I learned a lot very quickly🤣
View attachment 341120
Used a hole saw for the corners so they wouldn’t be jagged.
View attachment 341121

Did the other ones, pass side I’m pretty happy with. I’ll touch up the driver side ones with a flap wheel where the blade got away from me. But That’s in storage so another day.
Rinsed the salt off
View attachment 341122
View attachment 341123
View attachment 341124

I can now hit potholes without hearing plastic. Hooray.

That’s the cleanest chop I’ve seen. A lot of fender trims look too minimal and bare to me. Perfect job in my opinion.

The time has come.
IMG_6604.jpg
IMG_6605.jpg IMG_6606.jpg

One bolt holding the driver side up.

It survived til winter was over. Weather is starting to look better. I’ll take that as a win.

And so it begins.

Power washed everything possible.
Got as much loose shit off it as possible.
Also the mall was closed so had to improvise.

IMG_7022.jpg

IMG_7024.jpg

60961614109__96692268-8FF0-49AF-AE6F-23D1FE8E1DE2.jpg

Skid plate mount barely made it but still hanging on

IMG_7027.jpg

Got nakey
IMG_7033.jpg

And stripped
IMG_7037.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7041.jpg

Pb blasted every bolt I can see. Will get the rest of the tools from storage this week. Then teach myself to weld better the hard way.

Last edited:
Glad you finally got some time to get into it. I know you've been wanting to get this done!

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yeah, hopefully the weather stays just right for a few weeks and I can power through this shitty engineered problem.
Like, how hard is it to use good paint? or design a frame that doesnt trap everything inside of it?

Elroy231

Yeah, hopefully the weather stays just right for a few weeks and I can power through this shitty engineered problem.
Like, how hard is it to use good paint? or design a frame that doesnt trap everything inside of it?
Couple the design factor into the slurry they put on our roads in the winter and it's a recipe for rust.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I got bored and took the sawzall to it no turning back
IMG_7120.jpg

Then found out the rear pan is pretty much ONLY glued in.
IMG_7123.jpg
This upper arm is barely holding on at all

Went and loaded up the tools
IMG_7229.jpg

Cleaned and organized garage
IMG_7231.jpg

Dropped the gas tank
IMG_7236.jpg
IMG_7242.jpg

Pulled the driveshafts

Fought the skid plate
IMG_7245.jpg

Prepped the insides of the unpainted patch pieces. Hit them with farm/implement paint

IMG_7252.jpg
Ground down all the rust on skid plate and hit with the same.

IMG_7253.jpg

Skid plate will be replaced when it gets long armed (not this year) so not too worried about these rust spots between the frame bolts. It’s still sturdy.
61168589216__75BB509F-CCA2-4301-8AD4-2C49CD6C3B3E.jpg

Then did all the other shit.
IMG_7255.jpg

61169158922__FD549F42-B04B-4CA3-AC05-0B01A9702B73.jpg

IMG_7261.jpg

The input is a bit gouged. Not pleased with that, gonna do some more research to the depth it sits into the crank as most of it is fine and fits the pilot bearing snugly. It’s just where it was riding on the edge of the broken race where it’s worn down .5mm on the mics
IMG_7267.jpg

61169213012__0ECAB139-7E82-4258-A19F-F74CBD834A1B.jpg

61169166913__891349F4-4C85-4BF5-A364-1185B372FA85.jpg

Room to work now
IMG_7273.jpg
IMG_7274.jpg

Washed out the bell of 20 years of grime and nasty shit.
IMG_7271.jpg

Called it a day.

The throwout bearing was definitely most of the noise. But the center piece of the clutch disc was loose and rattling like crazy as well, those two and the pilot bearing being just gone I’m pretty confident was all the noise it had, which I am happy when I find obvious answers so I don’t have to think about the noise being something else.

https://youtu.be/PE4puwYtg6g

Last edited:
Top Bottom