Project Blue Jeep

nbunga

Caught the Bug
If anyone needs an easy way to add power accessory connections to their terminals, don’t mount hem to the tightening bolt, that seems to always cause issues.

Instead, drill a hole through the flat section, tap some threads in it, screw in a bolt from underneath. Takes 5 minutes and costs next to nothing.
View attachment 333698

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

That’s a good idea.

That rust hurts my eyes and my soul! [emoji44]

2013 JKU Sport S, named Spider

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

Oh I know man.

I hate what Michigan salt does to Jeeps.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
Yeah, should’ve paid better attention in school, could have a JL instead of a rusty TJ [emoji38]

It’s admittedly more than I knew about and I definitely bit off more than I want to chew, but here I am, chewing this like a $2 steak. Still miles ahead of the old Jeep, still attacking this smarter than the last one, but still a big ass project that makes you stare at it like “damn I don’t even know what to do first”

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Oh I know man.

Yeah, should’ve paid better attention in school, could have a JL instead of a rusty TJ [emoji38]

It’s admittedly more than I knew about and I definitely bit off more than I want to chew, but here I am, chewing this like a $2 steak. Still miles ahead of the old Jeep, still attacking this smarter than the last one, but still a big ass project that makes you stare at it like “damn I don’t even know what to do first”

I know what I’d do first: get rid of it and get one not from that side of the country [emoji23]

My last Jeep (TJ) came from Pennsylvania originally and I didn’t notice the rust (I was young and dumb) at first. Thought I could deal once I found it. Sold it 6 months later and never looked back lol

I know what I’d do first: get rid of it and get one not from that side of the country [emoji23]

My last Jeep (TJ) came from Pennsylvania originally and I didn’t notice the rust (I was young and dumb) at first. Thought I could deal once I found it. Sold it 6 months later and never looked back lol

Yeah my last one was way worse, Average TJ Build
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=31551
This i replaced damn near the entire frame piece by piece. Patched the tub floors patched the tub sides. Fabbed up body mount rail, fabbed roll bar mounts, eventually chopped the rear frame off and built one from tubing. Built a tub support on the rear when that broke... yada yada yada

This won’t be nearly as bad. If I could afford to find a rust free one I would have but they’re hard to find here and I knew more or less what I was getting into with this one. It will soon be all dealt with and the entire interior is getting painted with an epoxy based paint to stop this shit from ever happening again. The under side everything I can reach with a wire wheel will be cleaned and the entire underside will be sprayed with a similar epoxy. The only thing I haven’t quite figured out yet is how to clean out the inside of the frame.

Redline MTL, figured it’s already stripped down easiest to pour in the shifter hole.

IMG_4402.jpg
IMG_4403.jpg

Busy couple of weeks. Snuck a couple hours work in with the wire wheel. Every bit helps right? [emoji849]

IMG_4592.jpg
IMG_4594.jpg

IMG_4538.JPG

Yeahhhh....

No excuses, been lazy

IMG_4508.jpg

Ordered a couple last minute parts.
IMG_4658.jpg

From all the research I did everyone runs this $100 LuK clutch kit. Which I’m super wary of running a cheap clutch, but apparently they’re an oe supplier anyways and hopefully it will all be fine.
IMG_4644.jpg

However the clutch kit comes with a throwout bearing that’s made of PLASTIC
So I also ordered a timken all metal TOB
Here’s side by side
IMG_4645.jpg
IMG_4646.jpg

Here we go.

Ripped out the driver seat. Literally ripped it out seems I need to order one more piece of floor pan.
IMG_4950.jpg
59441806855__BDB49E48-8ECE-43CF-A925-6DC177097D0D.jpg

Drilled a bunch of spot welds.
Flushed the coolant and changed the belt.
IMG_4949.jpg

Just about ready to start the big projects now.

Side project:

Found a a set of beat up doors. Should’ve walked away the price wasn’t amazing and I don’t need another project. But they were blue, and I’m really not a fan of half doors even with the hard uppers. Just not my style.

IMG_4978.JPG

They had been “repaired” on the door latch and both had wrong size screw with threads that didn’t hold the latch in place. It’s really one of those things they make you wonder how it was damaged to begin with as it’s just not something that breaks unless you try to break it, it’s not like they were in an accident or something like that would make sense. One didn’t have the linkages hooked up. Etc. and the driver panel has a crack.
IMG_4982.jpg

So today I fixed the linkage and reinstalled the door handle. Installed the correct sized bolts so the latch doesn’t fall the fuck out. I hung the passenger door and got it relatively aligned which took me about an hour and a half. It’s not perfect and I’ll likely adjust it better when I have a second set of hands. Swapped the mirror over.
IMG_4984.jpg
IMG_5009.jpg
IMG_5008.jpg

Waiting on some parts to do the driver door. Paint ordered for the door cards.
IMG_5010.jpg
IMG_5011.jpg
IMG_5012.jpg

Last edited:
Turned out pretty nice. Wish I had half doors for my JK so bad....
Thanks! Yeah they’re coming along. I understand how they’re more convenient for popping off the upper and throwing them in the back to drive around and toss them back on quick when it rains. But I’m used to driving naked all summer anyways, and my biggest complaint is that it’s just the wrong height for my left arm. Its like 6-8” shorter than a full door and isn’t comfortable for my lazy leaned over style of driving.

I'm sure if you don't want those half doors some one will pay top dollar for them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hope so. They’re in pretty good shape for 10 years old. Started snowing today so I know the aftermarket hard uppers will sell quick at least. Once I get the parts in to fix the handle on driver side I can list them locally, would like them out of my way for sure.

Hmm.
Well that didn’t work like I thought it would.

IMG_5048.jpg
IMG_5049.jpg
IMG_5050.jpg
IMG_5051.jpg

IMG_5056.jpg

For some reason the epoxy didn’t fully harden, which the package said sandable in 30 minutes and I left over night.
Guess I’ll try it again, maybe there wasn’t enough of the hardener in the jb weld? It was the syringe type so I assumed it would be correct.

Top Bottom