Old news but in case there are any doubters - TeraFlex Tire Carrier Break

Lot of information on this thread. I want to personally thank sharky for throwing us under the bus whenever possible.

It's Sharkey, with an "e". In any event, you are welcome. If you would like to air our differences I would be happy to create a new thread for us to chat. Otherwise, I'll just leave it at this for now: my personal experiences are just that, mine...and I call things like I see them. Maybe other people feel differently, great for them.

I personally do a lot of business with Northridge and will continue to do so, but the beef isn't with you. Your name (northridge) was simply used as an example of a vendor selling the unit. The problem with teraflex's fix is they fixed the symptom, but not the disease. The main problem is they eliminate the bumpstop and as a result, the tire jiggles. The gussets don't address this unfortunately, so it is still a fundamentally flawed design. Your customer service has been excellent and you have an excellent company.

You are correct, I didn't bring Northridge into this discussion and, to be fair to David, I do think that many vendors (not just Northridge) are out to make a sale. After all, they are businesses. How we choose to do business, however, absolutely defines who we are...and again, I'll just leave it at that for now.

In regards to the teraflex part I have known about a few issues of the original design and we have assisted many customers who were concerned get the new style from teraflex.

With any luck, those who don't know about the problem will somehow find out about it and for the sake of everyone else on the road, will request replacements too. Please don't misunderstand me, I believe this problem is TeraFlex's responsibility 100% and not yours.

I as the owner of the company spoke with teraflex many times about this issue and they assured me the new "upgraded" part will not have any issues.

Yeah, they assured a lot of people that their original tire carrier was fine too and that the break was caused by install error. Same could be said about their front track bar and long arm brackets. While I have no doubts that you have been assured the "upgraded" part will not have any issues, it has become harder and harder to trust them. At least for me anyway. I must say that it still troubles me that they know they have a very real and potentially dangerous problem but have done NOTHING to proactively address it. At best, they can only give empty promises regarding their "upgraded" part and will replace the old one IF a customer knows about it and is concerned enough to contact them.

If anybody has any problems with anything you have bought from us we will do everything we can to take care of you .

And honestly, I trust that you will do exactly that.

It's Sharkey, with an "e". In any event, you are welcome. If you would like to air our differences I would be happy to create a new thread for us to chat. Otherwise, I'll just leave it at this for now: my personal experiences are just that, mine...and I call things like I see them. Maybe other people feel differently, great for them.

You are correct, I didn't bring Northridge into this discussion and, to be fair to David, I do think that many vendors (not just Northridge) are out to make a sale. After all, they are businesses. How we choose to do business, however, absolutely defines who we are...and again, I'll just leave it at that for now.

To be clear, you are speaking for yourself here, not for me or WAYALIFE.

To everyone else, like all moderators, Sharkey is just a regular member who has generously volunteered his time to help run this forum. While he is entitled to express is views and opinions freely here, I'd like to state for the record that they do not reflect those of WAYALIFE or myself.

I personally do a lot of business with Northridge and will continue to do so, but the beef isn't with you. Your name (northridge) was simply used as an example of a vendor selling the unit. The problem with teraflex's fix is they fixed the symptom, but not the disease. The main problem is they eliminate the bumpstop and as a result, the tire jiggles. The gussets don't address this unfortunately, so it is still a fundamentally flawed design. Your customer service has been excellent and you have an excellent company.

What are you talking about? Your post is an example of misinformation and that's what I have an issue with even after the manufacturer and vendor stand behind it. If anyone that has one that jiggles it is installed wrong. So if we are all after the facts, the fact is that with this carrier just like others the tire needs to be snug against something. Mine is snug against solid aluminum and does not move, jiggle, levitate, nothing...its solid. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying so since this could not be possible. Why is it so bad that is works? I don't get it. Here are some photos.

Now if you want to argue that the stock carrier is fine and doesn't need replaced that's another topic but most do replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 146
What are you talking about? Your post is an example of misinformation and that's what I have an issue with even after the manufacturer and vendor stand behind it.

In case you missed it, Northridge just got done stating that they've "known about a few issues of the original design" and "have assisted many customers who were concerned get the new style from teraflex". They also acknowledged that they have "spoken with teraflex many times about this issue" and were assured that the new "upgraded" part will not have any issues. Funny how at the time, they denied having any fault in the breaks they were seeing. Having seen a break in person, I would have to agree with NFRs2000NYC, the problem goes beyond the need for gussets and lies within the movement that is still allowed in their design. If you look, EVEN THE OP stated that his tire was pressing firmly against the tire carrier and it still broke. If you really have faith in your tire carrier, who am I to try and convince you of otherwise. But, can you still do everyone else a favor and please keep an eye on the bracket... just in case.

If anyone that has one that jiggles it is installed wrong. So if we are all after the facts, the fact is that with this carrier just like others the tire needs to be snug against something. Mine is snug against solid aluminum and does not move, jiggle, levitate, nothing...its solid. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying so since this could not be possible. Why is it so bad that is works? I don't get it. Here are some photos. Now if you want to argue that the stock carrier is fine and doesn't need replaced that's another topic but most do replace it.

Umm, how about you show pics of the otherside? :naw: Also, how do you get a spare to touch the "solid aluminum" if they are running wheels with 3.5" of back spacing? Last I checked, there was nothing in their instructions stating what sizes you could run with their tire carrier. But, I'm gonna guess you're the kind of guy that will blame others for running the wrong wheel instead of seeing any fault in your beloved TeraFlex. :naw:

What are you talking about? Your post is an example of misinformation and that's what I have an issue with even after the manufacturer and vendor stand behind it. If anyone that has one that jiggles it is installed wrong. So if we are all after the facts, the fact is that with this carrier just like others the tire needs to be snug against something. Mine is snug against solid aluminum and does not move, jiggle, levitate, nothing...its solid. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying so since this could not be possible. Why is it so bad that is works? I don't get it. Here are some photos.

Now if you want to argue that the stock carrier is fine and doesn't need replaced that's another topic but most do replace it.

Try that with a 4.5-3.5 BS and let me know if the tire touches. ;)

In case you missed it, Northridge just got done stating that they've "known about a few issues of the original design" and "have assisted many customers who were concerned get the new style from teraflex". They also acknowledged that they have "spoken with teraflex many times about this issue" and were assured that the new "upgraded" part will not have any issues. Funny how at the time, they denied having any fault in the breaks they were seeing. Having seen a break in person, I would have to agree with NFRs2000NYC, the problem goes beyond the need for gussets and lies within the movement that is still allowed in their design. If you look, EVEN THE OP stated that his tire was pressing firmly against the tire carrier and it still broke. If you really have faith in your tire carrier, who am I to try and convince you of otherwise. But, can you still do everyone else a favor and please keep an eye on the bracket... just in case.

Umm, how about you show pics of the otherside? :naw: Also, how do you get a spare to touch the "solid aluminum" if they are running wheels with 3.5" of back spacing? Last I checked, there was nothing in their instructions stating what sizes you could run with their tire carrier. But, I'm gonna guess you're the kind of guy that will blame others for running the wrong wheel instead of seeing any fault in your beloved TeraFlex. :naw:

Therein lies the rub. If you are running an aggressive backspace....the driver's side bumpstop can be addressed with the daystar unit, however, the passenger side tire NO LONGER MAKES CONTACT with the fat hinge, and since the hinge itself eliminates the OEM bumpstop location, you have no bumpstop at all on that side. I would bet that the people you saw with this break all had the typical 4.5-3.5 backspacing (most common for aftermarket wheels) and they had nothing "bumpstopping" the passenger side. If Teraflex made this unit for a stock wheels, they should say so.

Maybe you need to ask them but I never blamed anyone for running the wrong wheel. Where did that come from? Actually it's the opposite, the more backspacing you have the less overlap the clamp has which is why you have to run a spacer when mounting a stock wheel. I'm running a stock wheel with a spacer; the more dangerous configuration! Seriously, less backspacing will let the clamp have more overlap and should be stronger. It also will allow you to pull the wheel in tight against the hinge. This is the specific issue with the stock carrier; it is set up for a wheel with 6.25" of backspacing. This unit allows you to pull the wheel back in against the tailgate to accommodate less backspacing.

Here is the other side. By the way I now have to get another CB antenna mount because the tire is that close to the body now. I'm getting rid of the bumpstop because it does nothing. What else would you like to see? I'm not trying to hide anything.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 128
So I'm at 4.75" backspacing. It will pull in another 1.75" with my tires on narrow rims. So I could run 3" backspacing.

Maybe you need to ask them but I never blamed anyone for running the wrong wheel. Where did that come from?

Please follow along carefully, I said that I was "gonna guess you're the kind of guy that will blame others for running the wrong wheel instead of seeing any fault in your beloved TeraFlex". This is something all the other fanboys did and could just see you going down that path too.

Actually it's the opposite, the more backspacing you have the less overlap the clamp has which is why you have to run a spacer when mounting a stock wheel. I'm running a stock wheel with a spacer; the more dangerous configuration! Seriously, less backspacing will let the clamp have more overlap and should be stronger. It also will allow you to pull the wheel in tight against the hinge. This is the specific issue with the stock carrier; it is set up for a wheel with 6.25" of backspacing. This unit allows you to pull the wheel back in against the tailgate to accommodate less backspacing.

What in the world are you talking about. LESS back spacing pushes the tire further out and MORE brings it in. I have seen with my own eyes wheels with 3.5" of back spacing bolted up to a TeraFlex tire carrier with it adjusted all the way in and still have the sidewalls sitting far away from the tailgate. :naw:

Just to be clear as Eddie mentioned and as I originally stated there was ZERO play in either side of the tire. The passenger side was right up against the hinge and I cut the stock rubber bump stop to firmly push against the driver side of the tire and this failed in less than a years time.

I'm getting rid of the bumpstop because it does nothing.

Please don't. If you really have it on and it's making full contact with your spare, it is doing something and removing it can encourage a break.

So I'm at 4.75" backspacing. It will pull in another 1.75" with my tires on narrow rims. So I could run 3" backspacing.

Are you some kind of poser or running super wide tires? I've run 40x15.50's and haven't needed anything more than 3.5" of back spacing to clear them. :naw:

Just to be clear as Eddie mentioned and as I originally stated there was ZERO play in either side of the tire. The passenger side was right up against the hinge and I cut the stock rubber bump stop to firmly push against the driver side of the tire and this failed in less than a years time.

Honestly, I would have thought that may have been enough to prevent a break. Tom was running ATX Slabs with 3.5" of back spacing and just couldn't get his mount to pull the spare in anymore than he had it. It seemed concerning to me but then, there was nothing in the instructions to state this should be a concern or that a wheel with this back spacing shouldn't be used. Of course, his broke on the first washboard road he took it on.

Honestly, I would have thought that may have been enough to prevent a break. Tom was running ATX Slabs with 3.5" of back spacing and just couldn't get his mount to pull the spare in anymore than he had it. It seemed concerning to me but then, there was nothing in the instructions to state this should be a concern or that a wheel with this back spacing shouldn't be used. Of course, his broke on the first washboard road he took it on.

I'm running 4.5 back spacing with 37" toyo's. I figured with no movement it should have at least helped it some. The tire and rim together have to be close to 100lbs if not more. Obviously the heavier the tire and further away from the tailgate the better chance of a failure. Throw in any movement of that tire and it will only speed up the process.

The other part of the install i wasnt sold on was the 2 bolts that hold the adapter to the tailgate. You really have to crank it down to generate enough torque to clamp down and keep that piece from moving side to side.

I said I'm at 4.75, that's with the spacer. I have enough 1.75" adjustment that I could dismount my tires and mount on 3" backspacing wheels and still touch. I guess I could demonstrate when my other jeep gets home. It has wheels with 4.5" backspacing.

:thinking: Maybe he puts the wheel on the carrier "shiny side" in? :thinking:

:cheesy:

I'm running 4.5 back spacing with 37" toyo's. I figured with no movement it should have at least helped it some. The tire and rim together have to be close to 100lbs if not more. Obviously the heavier the tire and further away from the tailgate the better chance of a failure. Throw in any movement of that tire and it will only speed up the process.

The other part of the install i wasnt sold on was the 2 bolts that hold the adapter to the tailgate. You really have to crank it down to generate enough torque to clamp down and keep that piece from moving side to side.

Yeah, that 2 bolt setup doesn't give me a whole lot when it comes to having peace of mind.

I said I'm at 4.75, that's with the spacer. I have enough 1.75" adjustment that I could dismount my tires and mount on 3" backspacing wheels and still touch. I guess I could demonstrate when my other jeep gets home. It has wheels with 4.5" backspacing.

No, I think we all get it. You shouldn't have any problems bolting up a wheel with 4.5" of back spacing or GREATER. If you really could install a wheel with 3" of back spacing, as in, bring the tire even closer to the tailgate, this is new and not something that was available before. But, that's all a moot point being that FuriousDz was running 4.5" of back spacing and had full contact with the carrier and isolator and still broke.

Please follow along carefully, I said that I was "gonna guess you're the kind of guy that will blame others for running the wrong wheel instead of seeing any fault in your beloved TeraFlex". This is something all the other fanboys did and could just see you going down that path too.

What in the world are you talking about. LESS back spacing pushes the tire further out and MORE brings it in. I have seen with my own eyes wheels with 3.5" of back spacing bolted up to a TeraFlex tire carrier with it adjusted all the way in and still have the sidewalls sitting far away from the tailgate. :naw:

If you want I can PM my number and I will show you over FaceTime. The carrier pulls in to accommodate less backspacing. On the stock carrier it does push the tire out but the TF adjusts to pull it in. I'm not making this up.

Top Bottom