Old news but in case there are any doubters - TeraFlex Tire Carrier Break

FuriousDz

So for the past few days my spare has been a bit noisy and until today there hadnt been any movement.

Needless to say I pulled the spare of my teraflex tire carrier And there it was, almost a completely through crack along the entire top weld. If it hadn't been for wayalife sharing his friends experience this could have been bad, as I have been keeping a close eye on it since that post.

So thank you Eddie! for if it wasn't for your thread I may have chalked it up to the cold and not have kept a close eye on it.

Here is a pic not sure if you be able to make out the crack

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1389824822.807070.jpg

2013 Moab

could you possible give a link to the original thread so this newbie could read up on some potential hazards.
Thanks.:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So for the past few days my spare has been a bit noisy and until today there hadnt been any movement.

Needless to say I pulled the spare of my teraflex tire carrier And there it was, almost a completely through crack along the entire top weld. If it hadn't been for wayalife sharing his friends experience this could have been bad, as I have been keeping a close eye on it since that post.

So thank you Eddie! for if it wasn't for your thread I may have chalked it up to the cold and not have kept a close eye on it.

Here is a pic not sure if you be able to make out the crack

View attachment 64715

Damn!! In spite of what some may choose to believe, I really do wish that I wasn't so right about things like this. I am however glad to know that my warning post was able to help someone like you prevent a very dangerous situation and potentially disastrous outcome.

Army_Vet

Banned
Thanks for posting the link guys :thumb:

If I remember correctly its a good read; full of drama and suspense.... or better yet, suspended accounts.... and a who's who of banned members..... If i remember correctly

Hope you have the time to read it

texas05

Did you have the sidewall compressed up against the hinge and did you have the new style with gussets? I have one and was careful to make sure the tire is snug against the hinge and it's solid. I think they should re-write the instructions to make this clear.

On our other Jeep that has 33s on a stock carrier nothing contacts because of the backspacing so I put the daystar tailgate bumpstops on to prevent metal fatigue on the stock carrier.

Army_Vet

Banned
Damn!! In spite of what some may choose to believe, I really do wish that I wasn't so right about things like this. I am however glad to know that my warning post was able to help someone like you prevent a very dangerous situation and potentially disastrous outcome.

+1 on this....

Sharkey

Word Ninja
It would be interesting to know how many TF ticking time bomb carriers are out there.

Sorry, but in this day and age one would expect a responsible company to perform a recall, not just pass the buck as "installer error".

Army_Vet

Banned
It would be interesting to know how many TF ticking time bomb carriers are out there.

Sorry, but in this day and age one would expect a responsible company to perform a recall, not just pass the buck as "installer error".

Is there a possibility that we as jeep enthusiast could band together and force a recall with a class action lawsuit?

FuriousDz

Did you have the sidewall compressed up against the hinge and did you have the new style with gussets? I have one and was careful to make sure the tire is snug against the hinge and it's solid. I think they should re-write the instructions to make this clear.

On our other Jeep that has 33s on a stock carrier nothing contacts because of the backspacing so I put the daystar tailgate bumpstops on to prevent metal fatigue on the stock carrier.

Yeah it was very snug and I even cut the bumps top to make sure it fit flush against the tire. This is the un-gusseted one but after I read Eddie's post I called teraflex and I Do have the one with the gussets which will only be temporary until I can afford the Evo skins and carrier.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Is there a possibility that we as jeep enthusiast could band together and force a recall with a class action lawsuit?

The only people who make money from class actions are lawyers. Plus, you would have to have "standing" which is a lawyer way of saying the class representative would have to own a carrier that failed. Much more to it than just that, but you get my drift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it was very snug and I even cut the bumps top to make sure it fit flush against the tire. This is the un-gusseted one but after I read Eddie's post I called teraflex and I Do have the one with the gussets which will only be temporary until I can afford the Evo skins and carrier.

Well, I have to say that this is even more troubling especially if you really did take the time to make sure everything fit snug up against the tire carrier and it still broke.

FuriousDz

Unfortunately there will always be people who want to dispute and argue for whatever reason even when the proof is plain to see. I don't understand why if you use a product that several people had bad experiences with you wouldn't at least just keep it in the back of your mind as a potential issue even if you don't think it will happen to you.

Thanks again for all the great info on here!!

Army_Vet

Banned
The only people who make money from class actions are lawyers. Plus, you would have to have "standing" which is a lawyer way of saying the class representative would have to own a carrier that failed. Much more to it than just that, but you get my drift.

Well I am not interested in making money off it, just force a recall. but Yes I guess it never really is worth the trouble unless unless you're the one following the vehicle with the tire coming at you...

texas05

I will have to keep an eye on it. I have a heavy 35 (Toyo) hanging on it. What did Teraflex say?

Northridge has sold a ton of these (bought mine from them) and I wonder if they have gotten feedback on failures.

Top Bottom