Old news but in case there are any doubters - TeraFlex Tire Carrier Break

"Acquisitions"? I'll assume you meant "accusations" and to that, all I can do is show you PROOF of what others and I have seen. Clearly, TeraFlex is aware of it enough that they have since modified their bracket and offer it to those concerned enough to contact them and request one. As far as vendors go, again, they are just supplying you with what you've demanded. Certainly, you have faith in what you got. I just hope you'll take the time to keep an eye on it just in case - for the sake of everyone on the road.

LOL!!! Honestly, I can't say for sure if this was the case with Northridge but, you're kidding yourself if you don't know that vendors try to push products that they have in stock and/or get the most profit on. TeraFlex makes all their stuff in China and the profit margin on them is high so stocking their products is a no brainer. Companies like LoD and Poison Spyder are made in the USA and are typically 4-6 weeks out on anything they make. In other words, even if you wanted a new bumper, they probably wouldn't have been able to sell it to you at that time.

You're right, it is a valid question and maybe they just didn't think my post about it was enough to warrant concern. Maybe they knew that TeraFlex would replace the mount if it broke and felt confident that would be enough to keep a guy like you happy. I'm not them and so I can't say for sure but, you're more than welcome to believe what you want and put your faith in whatever vendor you want. Me, I'm just trying to get the word out that this tire carrier has BROKEN on multiple occasions and that if you own one, to PLEASE keep an eye on it just in case. Of course the guys who started this thread just confirmed that I was right but, you can disregard that as being heresy.

:cheesy: If I didn't know any better, I would have to say that was some kind of threat! I suppose this is the part where I'm supposed to get scared :yawn37:

Like all our advertisers, Northridge does help to make this forum available to guys like you to use 100% free of charge and for that, I am grateful. If they really want to stop supporting what we've got going here based on FACTS that I have posted up, all I can say is that it's their money and they can choose to spend it wherever they like.

To be clear, this 17 lbs. is essentially cantilevered off the back of the spare. A spare that is designed to bolt up to a mount where the weight of it is most evenly distributed. Nah, this extra bouncing around weight won't have any effect on the tailgate. Of course, you still haven't even said what issue apparently occurred to cause you to spend $730 to replace what you had.

Meaning what? How would this make things stronger or better for the tailgate? :idontknow:

First off, I personally would never carry a spare of that size on my tailgate due to the fact that on the trail, it can catch a ledge and trash the tailgate and or rear glass. This is something I have seen many times. Second, what I said is that I have NEVER seen a factory hinge fail - this is one of the things that your $730 replaced. What I also said is that when installed properly with isolators that press firmly against the sidewall of the spare to prevent jiggling, I have yet to see a factory tire mount fail - this is another thing that your $730 got you. In a nutshell, I personally wouldn't waste my money on a $730 tire carrier that has been PROVEN to break whereas the factory one will not so long as the spare is properly isolated.

Funny, all I did was ask a few questions and you got all that from it? :naw:

I make no money off of you and yet, the PROOF I've presented here is somehow to be seen as misinformation. Clearly, you should put your faith wherever you see fit :thumb:

Funny, I thought I was trying to help others the best I could. Guess you're the kind of guy that values opinions over FACTS :idontknow:

Before I purchased tires I researched and there were many claims about the stock carrier and sheet metal around failing, not the hinges. I looked for a solution that was stronger and could get the tire up higher and tighter; carriers and bumper/carriers. I didn't necessarily want to get a bumper right now because I still don't know what I want; front and rear. Northridge has been great so took there recommendation and purchased the TF carrier after researching all the forums and calling other vendors; $615.00 no sales tax or shipping. Thanks for the dialogue.

My stock carrier has no signs of ware after 20,000 miles with my heavy rims and mud grapplers. I also drive faster then I should for the suspension I have in places I shouldn't but again my tire is snugged up the way it should be so I must be doing something wrong. :crazyeyes:

Before I purchased tires I researched and there were many claims about the stock carrier and sheet metal around failing, not the hinges.

That makes 3 times that I have asked for specifics regarding the supposed "issues" you were having with your factory tire carrier and now you're telling me that you've just "researched" the matter and heard "many claims". :naw:

I looked for a solution that was stronger and could get the tire up higher and tighter; carriers and bumper/carriers.

Too bad for you that the solution you chose to go with BREAKS.

I didn't necessarily want to get a bumper right now because I still don't know what I want; front and rear.

Don't need a new bumper with the factory tire carrier. Don't even need a new bumper with an AEV tire carrier that not only transfers the weight of the spare onto the frame and still allows you to open the tailgate without any fuss, but also costs about the same. Or, if you want to save money and buy something made in the USA to strengthen the tailgate, there's always this option as well...
JKT2-P_medium.jpg

Costs only $499:
http://www.hansonoffroad.com/proddetail.php?prod=JKT2-P

Northridge has been great so took there recommendation and purchased the TF carrier after researching all the forums and calling other vendors; $615.00 no sales tax or shipping.

Never said that Northridge didn't have good deals or that they should have any responsibility in selling you a product that you wanted to buy. As you said, you did all kinds of research on all the forums and even called other vendors about it - you got what you wanted and I'm happy that they were able to make the sale.

Thanks for the dialogue.

Funny, I thought I've been going around implying that you were stupid. Glad to hear we're engaged in a dialogue now ;)

My stock carrier has no signs of ware after 20,000 miles with my heavy rims and mud grapplers. I also drive faster then I should for the suspension I have in places I shouldn't but again my tire is snugged up the way it should be so I must be doing something wrong. :crazyeyes:

Oh please, there is no way you could be running a super heavy 35" Nitto Mud Grappler on your factory tire carrier and not have it break anything after all this time bombing through the desert and taking on trails like the Rubicon. It's just not possible unless you throw $700 worth of Chinese made hinges and mounts to beef it up - Rookie!! :cheesy:

To kind of bring this back on topic, you can install an AEV swing out tire carrier without having to buy one of their rear bumpers. It'll work just fine with a factory bumper and still take the bulk of your spare tire's weight and put it on the frame. Best part is, you still get a single hand operation and can do this for about the same cost as a TeraFlex tire carrier. Just something to consider.

Not to mention, be able to carry 10 gallons of extra fuel, a hilift, a shovel, etc. The teraflex unit can carry a hilift (if you buy the extra bracket) adding even more stress to an already weak system, and then you can bolt up a 3 gallon rotopax to the hilift (super ghetto IMHO).

Agree 100% on the looks front/rear, they just don't match. For the same money (AEV vs Teraflex) it's a no brainer for me. The rubi 10A rear bumper + aev carrier is a very clean setup.

BTW, to those considering the Teraflex....you may want to consider this unit... from what I can tell, the wobbling issues have been addressed. To quote Eddie, "time will tell" how good this thing is, but it seems like actual engineering went into it. Draw your own conclusions....

http://maximus-3.com/files/Maximus-3-Heavy-Duty-Tire-Carrier_92l3466q.pdf

attachment.php

Tire touches on both sides
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Can be properly telescoped for different backspacing.

attachment.php

Made in the USA as well....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pricing:
$679.99 Maximus-3 Heavy Duty Tire Carrier (includes carrier hinge, adjustable tire mount, center accessories mast, HM 3rd brake light, mounting hardware)
$184.99 Hi-Lift Jack Mount (includes jack base mount, top bracket, jack clamp, mounting hardware)
$69.99 Shovel Mount/Clamps (includes top and bottom clamps, mounting hardware)
$89.99 Side Rotopax Mount (includes pack bracket, pack mount, mounting hardware)
$184.99 High Mount Double Rotopax Bracket (includes mount bracket, pack mounts, mounting hardware)

10% introductory discount pricing through the end of February 2014.

Seems like its a better solution.

P.S. Apologies for the seemingly pimping post, but I try and do my best to respect Eddie's forum and not post links to other forums from here, so i basically have to repost a whole thread so that it makes sense for members. Just don't want it to be taken the wrong way. I have no dog in this fight.

Last edited:
Question... lets say you bought that hanson offroad carrier, would you leave the tire on when you head out on the trails? Ive always taken my tire off and thrown it in the trunk while out on the trails because Ive had the room in the back and ledges scare the shit out of me (affraid of catching my tire) How many of you leave your tires on this type of carrier while you off road? Am I being too paranoid?

Question... lets say you bought that hanson offroad carrier, would you leave the tire on when you head out on the trails? Ive always taken my tire off and thrown it in the trunk while out on the trails because Ive had the room in the back and ledges scare the shit out of me (affraid of catching my tire) How many of you leave your tires on this type of carrier while you off road? Am I being too paranoid?

I don't take my spare off the stock carrier... But ledge drop off is a concern for me so I made a rear skid/stinger that slides into the receiver that I put on before hitting the trail. (I will have to remake this for my larger tires soon.)

Oh, I would totally wheel with a spare on the tailgate. I just would be mindful of the terrain I was on. For instance, when I take groups out in Moab, I make sure to warn people of specific points where I have seen people catch their spare and damage their tailgates and advise them accordingly to take the bypass or remove their spare for that obstacle. No need to go so far as to throw the spare in the back unless you like to wheel recklessly and without thought to what you are doing.

I don't take my spare off the stock carrier... But ledge drop off is a concern for me so I made a rear skid/stinger that slides into the receiver that I put on before hitting the trail. (I will have to remake this for my larger tires soon.)

A stinger will help for sure and for a time, I used to run one. What I hated about them is that they got in the way of opening up the back.

Ive been trying to find one for sale (rear tow hitch slider) that I have seen in a number of videos on the net, but can't. :( Would be a useful tool for a casual wheeler like myself.

Ive been trying to find one for sale (rear tow hitch slider) that I have seen in a number of videos on the net, but can't. :( Would be a useful tool for a casual wheeler like myself.

hinrich made a hitch slider out of pipe he bought for $10. made me one and it looks great i just havent used it yet. i might make it longer tho cause it doesnt quite make it to the end of my tire.

hinrich made a hitch slider out of pipe he bought for $10. made me one and it looks great i just havent used it yet. i might make it longer tho cause it doesnt quite make it to the end of my tire.

This is the one I saw on a youtube vid....here's a screencap.

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 2.23.21 PM.jpg

I think I will likely run a stinger. I do take it quite easy on the trails and try to pick my lines carefully but I do like that extra insurance for when I accidentally pull a bone head move. I have the hitch and a welding shop to make something up so I might as well use it, at least until i'm a little more experienced out there on the trails.

A stinger will help for sure and for a time, I used to run one. What I hated about them is that they got in the way of opening up the back.

Me too! This is why I was curious about the AEV carrier only. I'm kinda waiting for PSC to officially introduce their version of the GenRight and EVO carrier. I'm not sure I will go with it, I just want to see how it opens. (Hopefully with one action... for the carrier)

I also ran my 35" Nitto TG on the stock carrier for well ove a year and never had any issues. The 35 actual fit great and even fit well enough to rest partially on the cut out in the stock bumper which also helped alleviate some of that weight.

Unfortunately when I went to 37's it was too big and too wide to get it to fit correctly. So at the time the TF carrier came out, it seemed to be a quicker/cheaper way to carry my 37 without having to modify my existing bumper or change it out completley. Also unfortunately for me, Eddie's thread about his friends experience wasnt out yet. if I had seen that before hand I definitely would NOT have purchased the carrier and just saved up for another one.

So basically me wanting to go a cheaper route will ultimately be a more expensive one i'll have to live with and learn from. However, Ill take the lesson learned and am just thankful I was made aware of (via this forum) the potential danger I could have caused not to myself but others. WIthout that I may have not checked on it as often and someone could have been hurt or worse.

Which again was really the whole purpose of starting this thread. Just in case any new members where unaware of the issues or if any existing members thought maybe Eddie's thread was a one off incident. Like Eddie, I just wanted people to be aware that this IS a problem and to keep that in mind.

I think its completely ridiculous the amount of crap being thrown around over this. To me its quite simple...

Here is a product that has known issues that can have serious implications so...

- If you're thinking of buying one, be aware that this is a possibility
- If you already have one and care then keep an eye on it
- if you have one and dont care or think it wont happen, then thats on you
- If you dont care either way, then why say anything?

I also ran my 35" Nitto TG on the stock carrier for well ove a year and never had any issues. The 35 actual fit great and even fit well enough to rest partially on the cut out in the stock bumper which also helped alleviate some of that weight.

Unfortunately when I went to 37's it was too big and too wide to get it to fit correctly. So at the time the TF carrier came out, it seemed to be a quicker/cheaper way to carry my 37 without having to modify my existing bumper or change it out completley. Also unfortunately for me, Eddie's thread about his friends experience wasnt out yet. if I had seen that before hand I definitely would NOT have purchased the carrier and just saved up for another one.

So basically me wanting to go a cheaper route will ultimately be a more expensive one i'll have to live with and learn from. However, Ill take the lesson learned and am just thankful I was made aware of (via this forum) the potential danger I could have caused not to myself but others. WIthout that I may have not checked on it as often and someone could have been hurt or worse.

Which again was really the whole purpose of starting this thread. Just in case any new members where unaware of the issues or if any existing members thought maybe Eddie's thread was a one off incident. Like Eddie, I just wanted people to be aware that this IS a problem and to keep that in mind.

I think its completely ridiculous the amount of crap being thrown around over this. To me its quite simple...

Here is a product that has known issues that can have serious implications so...

- If you're thinking of buying one, be aware that this is a possibility
- If you already have one and care then keep an eye on it
- if you have one and dont care or think it wont happen, then thats on you
- If you dont care either way, then why say anything?

I think the issue about running a large tire on the stock carrier isn't the carrier itself, but the spotwelds.

Lot of information on this thread. I want to personally thank sharky for throwing us under the bus whenever possible.

In regards to the teraflex part I have known about a few issues of the original design and we have assisted many customers who were concerned get the new style from teraflex.

I as the owner of the company spoke with teraflex many times about this issue and they assured me the new "upgraded" part will not have any issues .

We take great pride in selling parts that work and creating lifetime customers and at no time do we sell something with the knowing that they will have a problem.

We have been in the business for many years and watched many of our competitors come and go. And I truly believe that is because of how much we care and the pAssion we have in what we do.

If anybody has any problems with anything you have bought from us we will do everything we can to take care of you .

Thank you

David Johnson

Its wear Adam

Lot of information on this thread. I want to personally thank sharky for throwing us under the bus whenever possible.

In regards to the teraflex part I have known about a few issues of the original design and we have assisted many customers who were concerned get the new style from teraflex.

I as the owner of the company spoke with teraflex many times about this issue and they assured me the new "upgraded" part will not have any issues .

We take great pride in selling parts that work and creating lifetime customers and at no time do we sell something with the knowing that they will have a problem.

We have been in the business for many years and watched many of our competitors come and go. And I truly believe that is because of how much we care and the pAssion we have in what we do.

If anybody has any problems with anything you have bought from us we will do everything we can to take care of you .

Thank you

David Johnson

I personally do a lot of business with Northridge and will continue to do so, but the beef isn't with you. Your name (northridge) was simply used as an example of a vendor selling the unit. The problem with teraflex's fix is they fixed the symptom, but not the disease. The main problem is they eliminate the bumpstop and as a result, the tire jiggles. The gussets don't address this unfortunately, so it is still a fundamentally flawed design. Your customer service has been excellent and you have an excellent company.

Top Bottom