JK Rear Cargo Storage Solution

Eugene the Jeep

Rather than directing people to another forum, please just post up what you have to offer here.

Sharkey,
I was just being lazy I didn't want to take credit for something I didn't come up with my shelf. I will post pic's later today?

You might want to remove the link to the other forum and just post up pics because that is against the rules here, but looks good.

OJK12,
The link was removed by someone already. I didn't know that I couldn't refer to other forums. Now I know and it won't happen again. Thanks for the info.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Sharkey,
I was just being lazy I didn't want to take credit for something I didn't come up with my shelf. I will post pic's later today?

OJK12,
The link was removed by someone already. I didn't know that I couldn't refer to other forums. Now I know and it won't happen again. Thanks for the info.

No worries. I never said you could not refer to or mention other forums. It's just more of a respect thing. If you have good information about something it makes sense to post it up here for people to see, not tell them to go look somewhere else.

jedg

No worries. I never said you could not refer to or mention other forums. It's just more of a respect thing. If you have good information about something it makes sense to post it up here for people to see, not tell them to go look somewhere else.
Sharkey ( or MOD )
At the risk of going off topic. If one finds useful info on another forum, what is the acceptable way to give credit to the forum/user if we post that info here? I hadn't really thought about it until now. I tried to look it up in the forum rules but couldn't get them to open in the mobile app.

Petthefish

ok call me Cheap but I grew up in a cabinet shop. Has anyone Built their own deck. I am looking for one that sit tall enough to cover my sub tube and tool box. I had built one for my old suburban and was kinda thinking the same idea.

JAGS

Hooked
ok call me Cheap but I grew up in a cabinet shop. Has anyone Built their own deck. I am looking for one that sit tall enough to cover my sub tube and tool box. I had built one for my old suburban and was kinda thinking the same idea.

10frank9 built some cross supports but not an actual enclosed deck. I also think mtg was looking to build one. Not sure the status. One person (can't recall name) built one very similar to the ORV one.

With your knowledge base, take a crack at it. I'd be interested to see it.

10frank9

Web Wheeler

This is what I built:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433855969.793341.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433855984.752398.jpg

I'm going to add a removable deck to go on top, the mounting points are the stock hard top mounts.

toxicwaste29

Here is what I did. Cost me about $20 all said and done. I sealed the end that pops off and made it so it flips open. It fits perfect between the wheel wells and doesn't slid back and forth. I keep it in daily.

Attachments

• 1433856728955.jpg
    1433856728955.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 534

toxicwaste29

Here is a picture of it open. I need to go through it and organize it again

Attachments

• 1433856865967.jpg
    1433856865967.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 542

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

These are the best pictures I have on my iPad. It mounts to the hardtop holes and the carpet matches the interior perfectly. Cost was like $50 I think.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433857376.110660.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433857497.347110.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433857579.929399.jpg

Eugene the Jeep

Storage box write up

3 inch tie downs.jpg

I use two 4' dog leashes to secure my dog in the back

Hinged end cover removed.jpg

Hinge locations

Front of box.jpg

Hinge location

Front of box 2.jpg

Hinge locations

Rear at Door.jpg

Trimmed corners

Rear at Hinge.jpg

Trimmed corners

Rear Door Closed.jpg

Rear door closed

Rear seat covers.jpg

Rear seat covers

Sketch.jpg

Design drawing

staples.jpg

Staples

JK Rear Storage Write Up

Material List

3 each 1x4x8 for storage box
1 each 4x8 ½” sheet of plywood (not CDX)
2 each 2 ½” narrow hinges
4 each 2” strap hinges
2 each 3” x 3 ½” flush ring pulls (optional)
Monster wood glue
Small box 1 5/8” wood or drywall screws
Spray cans of contact cement
Carpet
½”x ¼” 18 gauge staples (to help secure carpet)
4 each small “L” brackets to secure storage box

Start by make the storage by using the 1x4’s screws and glue.
Per drill all screw holes to help prevent the wood from splitting.
Once you have completed the box you will to install an additional 1x4 on the front of the box to support the folding rear seat cover.
Make sure to glue all the joints for extra strength.

Cut the plywood for the storage box cover and secure it to the storage box using the narrow hinges.
Screw the hinges to the 1x4 that is closest to the inside of the box and then center the cover to the storage box and secure it to the hinges. This may require a second set of hands to help hold the cover.

Once you have completed securing the cover to the box you will need to test fit the assembly in the back of the jeep.
You will need to trim the rear corners of the box cover to slide the assembly close to the rear door.

Once you are satisfied with the location and fit of the storage box and cover you will to cut the plywood for the folding rear seat covers. Depending on the type of carpeting you are going to use you may need to add additional spacing between the 2 halves of the rear seat covers.

You will secure these to the storage box cover using 4 2” strap hinges, 2 on each of the folding covers. Make sure that the outside edges of the rear seat cover are square with outside edges and the rear of the box cover.

Once you have secured the folding seat covers you will need to test fit it in the rear of the jeep and trim the corners of the rear seat cover to fit properly in the rear of the jeep.

Once you are satisfied with the storage box you will need to disassemble it to install the carpet.

To carpet the storage box you will need to cut strips of carpeting about 9” wide and long enough to cover each section of the storage box.

You will need to use to contact cement to attach the carpeting to the storage box. Read the instruction to use the contact cement properly.

Once you ready to install the carpeting center each piece one at a time on the top of the 1x4’s so you can fold the strip of carpet in half and attach them to the side of the 1x4 with the ends of the carpet towards the bottom of the storage box.
Once you have all the pieces attached to the storage box us the ½” staples to attach the ends of the carpet strips to the bottom of the box to secure and clean up the corners and edges of the box.

Next you will install the carpet to the storage box cover. Make sure that the 4 2” strap hinges are still installed on the storage box cover, will be installing the carpet over these.
Cut you about 3” wider than the width and the length of the cover to help the secure the carpet with staples on the underside of the cover.
You will use contact cement to secure the carpet to the cover as before.

Next you will install carpet on each of the folding seat covers. The procedure for each is be same.
Cut your carpet long enough so that you can fold it half from the edge without the hinges and it will cover both side of the cover. Also make it about 3” wider than the width so you attached it to the sides of the covers.
Start by installing the carpet from the edge without hinges toward the edge with the hinges. You will need to attach the hinges from the storage box covers to the folding covers before you finish installing the carpeting on the folding cover.
Once you have the carpeting installed on the front and back of the folding cover you will use the stapler to secure the carpeting to the edges of the folding cover. Trim carpeting as needed.

Once you have completed one side verify that the space between the two covers is wide enough for the carpet that you are using.

The last thing to do once the storage box is complete is to remove the existing storage cover from the jeep and secure the storage box using the small “L” brackets.

UpsideUp

Hey Eugene. This might be a total noob question, and have to admit I didn't read your build post, but how do you get the back to lay flat over the rear seats?
I have thought the back seat should tumble up to allow the seat back to fall flat but haven't been able to find that option. So I always have an angled platform to stack stuff.
In your pictures it looks to lay flat. Is that due to a higher cabinet in the rear adjusting for that?

Eugene the Jeep

Hey Eugene. This might be a total noob question, and have to admit I didn't read your build post, but how do you get the back to lay flat over the rear seats?
I have thought the back seat should tumble up to allow the seat back to fall flat but haven't been able to find that option. So I always have an angled platform to stack stuff.
In your pictures it looks to lay flat. Is that due to a higher cabinet in the rear adjusting for that?

I have a 2010 unlimited and the seat backs only lay flat, the seat bottom does not move on mine.

jango

I made my own security deck as well. Here is what I came up with. IMG_7244.jpg IMG_7245.jpg Its got a 90 degree aluminum brace in the middle. As well as a piece of 2x4 close to the back seats as support. IMG_7249.jpg IMG_7250.jpg IMG_7251.jpg

Btw does anyone know if the stealth shelf will interfere with a PSC C pillar setup?

It will not interfere. We tested it before the final install of the shelf and it fits perfectly.

As I mentioned... I tested but hadn't installed my C-Pillars yet. I finally did this weekend and you can see it works just fine.

GwQ1bt3_zdh_8544S_jnRFunDS-dc4w39cUm37daYzY=w350-h621-no
nvbgruT1zbrFZuN-h_Q67gUOq64PvZd9yHdb3kIuGoc=w350-h621-no

Top Bottom