JK Rear Cargo Storage Solution

GraniteCrystal

I've seen some nice setups that work with the 2nd row seats removed. Tons of storage compartments and a nice flat surface to sleep on. Anyone seen something like that and can point me in the right direction?

WJCO

Meme King
I've seen some nice setups that work with the 2nd row seats removed. Tons of storage compartments and a nice flat surface to sleep on. Anyone seen something like that and can point me in the right direction?

I think Trainwreck618 has something like that. What about your car seats and kids?

GraniteCrystal

I think Trainwreck618 has something like that. What about your car seats and kids?
I have a plan.

Step 1: sell the Scrambler
Step 2: buy a minivan, car seats go in there
Step 3: remove 2nd row seat, design and build storage solution that has latch mounts built in on top for car seats.

JK will become nearly full time adventure rig. When kids are a part of that, their car seats can latch in. And I'll gain a ton of organized storage.

Thoughts?

WJCO

Meme King
I have a plan.

Step 1: sell the Scrambler
Step 2: buy a minivan, car seats go in there
Step 3: remove 2nd row seat, design and build storage solution that has latch mounts built in on top for car seats.

JK will become nearly full time adventure rig. When kids are a part of that, their car seats can latch in. And I'll gain a ton of organized storage.

Thoughts?

Just my opinion: If selling the scrambler is really what you need to do for the family, do it.

Minivan is truly perfection for a family vehicle. However, I would suggest keeping the seat in the JK for now. Within the next year, your jeep can take you anywhere around here, and the minivan can't. Prior to our JK, we had a Honda Odyssey. Anytime we wanted to head into the mountains for a quick off-road adventure, the car seats came out and went into the WJ, 5 minute swap.

Once you turn your JK into a special-purpose vehicle with no rear seat, it will limit your options, IMO.

Sounds like your perfect solution would be a 2nd JK or JL for the wife.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Ya could look at the roll bar saddle bags i have em an all my recovery gear ,first aid ,tire repairand a few other things in em ... they are up out of the way and keep those rarely used needed things always on hand and not loose on the floor floatin about ... picked em up on amazon for like 80

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
I agree with WJCO! Van’s are damn near the best ride for a family. I would also leave the back seat in the JK just for the fact of packing the family up and bugging out for the day.

GraniteCrystal

Just my opinion: If selling the scrambler is really what you need to do for the family, do it.

Minivan is truly perfection for a family vehicle. However, I would suggest keeping the seat in the JK for now. Within the next year, your jeep can take you anywhere around here, and the minivan can't. Prior to our JK, we had a Honda Odyssey. Anytime we wanted to head into the mountains for a quick off-road adventure, the car seats came out and went into the WJ, 5 minute swap.

Once you turn your JK into a special-purpose vehicle with no rear seat, it will limit your options, IMO.

Sounds like your perfect solution would be a 2nd JK or JL for the wife.

I agree with WJCO! Van’s are damn near the best ride for a family. I would also leave the back seat in the JK just for the fact of packing the family up and bugging out for the day.
I'm imagining something where car seats can still clip right in. Just instead of clipping into a leather seat with a back, they'll clip into my storage shelf. Does that make sense? Terrible idea?
Ya could look at the roll bar saddle bags i have em an all my recovery gear ,first aid ,tire repairand a few other things in em ... they are up out of the way and keep those rarely used needed things always on hand and not loose on the floor floatin about ... picked em up on amazon for like 80

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yeah, I'm looking to add some more storage to the RH4x4 cage once that's in. I'll check out the saddle bags too. Thanks for the idea.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm imagining something where car seats can still clip right in. Just instead of clipping into a leather seat with a back, they'll clip into my storage shelf. Does that make sense? Terrible idea?

Yeah, I'm looking to add some more storage to the RH4x4 cage once that's in. I'll check out the saddle bags too. Thanks for the idea.

Just keep in mind the factory seats are DOT approved for safety. Make sure whatever you build is safe for your family.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Have you ran the idea across your wife yet? I know mine would have said hell no when the kids were that young and in car seats.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

If you are trying to kill your children social services will take them for free. And just wrap your shit up next time you want to knock one out and you won’t have anymore kids.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ROBnTANK

From what it sounds like Goose-gear’s plate system would probably be your best solution. They either have a platform where you remove both rear seats or one where you remove the larger rear seat.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

skitime

Shelf

I made my own shelf for storage out of household steel wire shelving. It is light weight, lets light to items below, expandable from single depth to double depth, bungee straps friendly, removable, hinged at the rear so it can be raised to get in the fridge and it is inexpensive. It allows to organize things to make easy access. I had built the same thing for my last rig a 97 Geo Tracker and it worked out great so I built one for my new JKU. The Geo Tracker picture was from when we did a 3 day offroading trip on White Rim Trail in Canyonland National Park.

Attachments

• DSC_0136.jpg
    DSC_0136.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 434
  • DSC01378.jpg
    DSC01378.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC01379.jpg
    DSC01379.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC01380.jpg
    DSC01380.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 451

14JK-U

Trail repair parts

Hey all so my question isn't super technical but I thought this the best place to ask since everyone here does some wrenching. When you're loading up your JK for trail days where do you store your spare parts and how do you do it? I have an unlimited and it's usually not an issue with the extra space. But when the whole family comes we bring our two Siberian huskies and my storage space is instantly gone with them in the back or next to my son in the rear seat. I can't have spare shafts or full tool kits taking up all the room. Has anyone found a clever way of storing out of the way? I'm leaning towards those fake Jerry cans tool kits but they seem to only hold very basic stuff like a few wrenches or sockets. I'm probably SOL with the whole family but figured I'd ask for inspiration

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Hey all so my question isn't super technical but I thought this the best place to ask since everyone here does some wrenching. When you're loading up your JK for trail days where do you store your spare parts and how do you do it? I have an unlimited and it's usually not an issue with the extra space. But when the whole family comes we bring our two Siberian huskies and my storage space is instantly gone with them in the back or next to my son in the rear seat. I can't have spare shafts or full tool kits taking up all the room. Has anyone found a clever way of storing out of the way? I'm leaning towards those fake Jerry cans tool kits but they seem to only hold very basic stuff like a few wrenches or sockets. I'm probably SOL with the whole family but figured I'd ask for inspiration

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

Merged here. We have a lot of storage threads, but this one has a ton of info.

neZZr

Springtail Solutions MPAC

Lots of great ideas for storage here!

I finally started working on getting the inside of my 2dr ready for a trip. First thing I added is the Springtail Solutions MPAC. I got the combo kit with two molle bags. The Springtail is pretty solid, and doesn't rattle at all... as advertised. Even with a full load of gear it's tight. The bags seem to be decently tough too. No worries of coming apart even with heavy gear inside.

Here are some pics of mine loaded up, and even with my heavy gear-bag on top. Photo Jan 12, 2 08 48 AM.jpg Photo Jan 12, 2 09 39 AM.jpg Photo Jan 12, 2 18 01 AM.jpg Photo Jan 12, 2 09 27 AM.jpg

Top Bottom