Jeep JK Wrangler Rear Axle Shaft Removal & Installation Write-Up

WJCO

Meme King
Using this write up to change out my axle shafts but have run into a little problem. The bolts that hold the axle retainer are spinning as I try to remove the nuts on the back side. I was able to get two of the four nuts off but now I’m stuck. Any ideas on what I should do now? I don’t have a welder so I can’t tack weld the bolt and I can’t get any pliers in there to hold the bolt from spinning.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Can you get a dremel in there with a cut off wheel? I'm hoping that your new axle bearing kit came with a new retainer plate.

whispike

Can you get a dremel in there with a cut off wheel? I'm hoping that your new axle bearing kit came with a new retainer plate.

Yes it did come with a new retainer plate with new bolts pressed in. If I cut the bolt and nut off I would need to get a replacement nut because the new one didn’t come with any.

whispike

AAAAH.......the sense of accomplishment when you tackle a mod yourself! All buttoned up and ready for KOH next week.
Thanks Eddie for a great write-up! Made it super easy, minus the two retaining bolts that were spinning and we’re a beeach to get off[emoji15]
IMG_7907.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
AAAAH.......the sense of accomplishment when you tackle a mod yourself! All buttoned up and ready for KOH next week.
Thanks Eddie for a great write-up! Made it super easy, minus the two retaining bolts that were spinning and we’re a beeach to get off[emoji15]

How did you end up fixing it? In regards to the bolts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Awesome, glad to hear my write-up was helpful :thumb:

Just caught up on this. I'd like to know as well :yup:

whispike

I ended up having to cut the bolts off with a cutoff wheel. I started with a dremel but ran out of cut off wheels so I had to squeeze a air tool in there, and then broke them off with a chisel when they were cut down enough. Then had to get some new nuts because I cut through the originals. It looked like whoever worked on my axles before (which was probably ORE) had the same problem because two of the bolts were already tack welded in place.

The other side was a breeze though! Probably took less than an hour from start to finish. Now I have two trail spares and the confidence to know I could change them out myself if need be.

Thanks again Eddie!

gcb310

This write up is great. Is it common to replace both shafts at the same time or is it ok to just replace one? I’m pretty sure I have a bad bearing on one side and rather than take it to a shop and have them press on new ones I was planning on just getting a new shaft assembly and replacing myself.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

jesse3638

Hooked
This write up is great. Is it common to replace both shafts at the same time or is it ok to just replace one? I’m pretty sure I have a bad bearing on one side and rather than take it to a shop and have them press on new ones I was planning on just getting a new shaft assembly and replacing myself.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

You can replace only what is needed. I chose to replace both as my OCD would not allow me to replace one. I’m running revolution chromoly shafts and were 500 or so for the pair of rear axle assemblies.

jdofmemi

Removing the broken end

Great write-up!
One question that I did not see addressed in the thread is removing the stuck broken splined end of the Ten Factory axle from the locker.

The Jeep is a 2015 Rubicon
I had hoped maybe a magnet would fish it out, as I have done on other axles on occasion, but I think the splines twisted a bit, because it didn't even wiggle.
Can I pull the left side axle and drive out the broken piece with a long bar, or is the center blocked off and I need to pull the carrier?
I'm hoping for option one, but not holding my breath.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180416_212345_mini.jpg
    MVIMG_20180416_212345_mini.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 131

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Great write-up!
One question that I did not see addressed in the thread is removing the stuck broken splined end of the Ten Factory axle from the locker.

The Jeep is a 2015 Rubicon
I had hoped maybe a magnet would fish it out, as I have done on other axles on occasion, but I think the splines twisted a bit, because it didn't even wiggle.
Can I pull the left side axle and drive out the broken piece with a long bar, or is the center blocked off and I need to pull the carrier?
I'm hoping for option one, but not holding my breath.

Holy shit, that's a crazy break. You must have been playing hard.

jdofmemi

It was a pretty mellow slide down a rock face with some loose surface.

I got off the throttle as soon as it stopped climbing, but when it slid back to hard ground it snapped.

I was very surprised, took many harder hits on my Toyota with stock axles and never broke a rear shaft. I figured with the upgraded axles the Jeep would not be as fragile.

jdofmemi

I was afraid of that.

Thanks for the help.

At least I have a spare axle so I will be good to go for Friday suds n grub

jdofmemi

Help

I am having trouble unplugging the wires to the locker.
Is there a trick to it. I know I don't want to get it wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_201447.jpg
    IMG_20180421_201447.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 83

fiend

Caught the Bug
I am having trouble unplugging the wires to the locker.
Is there a trick to it. I know I don't want to get it wrong.

You don’t unplug it from the locker. There’s a bulkhead connector that’s fastened to the differential housing on top. That’s what you need to look for.

jdofmemi

Thanks Fiend

Now I found it, but how do you get that one unplugged?

I can get the outside, but I need to pull the carrier out, so it looks like I need to unplug the inside

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks Fiend

Now I found it, but how do you get that one unplugged?

I can get the outside, but I need to pull the carrier out, so it looks like I need to unplug the inside

Undo the small screw (8mm, I think) that holds the bulkhead connector to the housing. Pull the connector out through the top. Then you’ll see a plug that you disconnect. Push the end that’s connected to the locker back though the differential housing.

jdofmemi

Well, that did it.

I got the bulkhead fitting out, but broke the tab off of it where it bolts to the axle. It is fragile, I broke it with just my fingers while holding it and trying to get the connector to release.

Maybe I can save someone else from this problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_214507.jpg
    IMG_20180421_214507.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20180421_215921.jpg
    IMG_20180421_215921.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 100
Top Bottom