Jeep JK Wrangler Rear Axle Shaft Removal & Installation Write-Up

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Thanks for this write-up Eddie. It made replacing my axle shafts really easy.

For anyone else reading this, go rent a slide hammer. I didn't start with it, but It was the little nudge I needed. It also helped pull the bearing race from one side. Nothing major stuck, just needed a little persuasion. It also helped as leverage to insert the new shafts.

On the second side I didnt remove the brake backing plate, but still removed the wheel sensor so I didn't break it.

Did mine this weekend. Think I screwed up the right rear wheel sensor. Dropped it accidentally. I put everything all together in the ESC program freaked out and turned off on my stability program and now I have the ABS light on and the traction control light on and I have a error code on the right rear 20161203_102135.jpg

deezus

Eddie, so on a 13' JKUR, there's really no benefit to replacing the rear axles right? I wheel about 30-40 percent in the summer fall. Thanks. Oh and of course another great write up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I'm having the opposite problem of a lot of people. I had no problem getting my axle shaft out, but I'm having trouble getting the new one back in. I can definitely line up the splines and I know it's in the right spot but it doesn't want to just go. Can I give it a tap with a BFH or should I be considering removing the diff cover to ensure no damage to the splines on the other end?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I'm having the opposite problem of a lot of people. I had no problem getting my axle shaft out, but I'm having trouble getting the new one back in. I can definitely line up the splines and I know it's in the right spot but it doesn't want to just go. Can I give it a tap with a BFH or should I be considering removing the diff cover to ensure no damage to the splines on the other end?

You pulled the old race out of the housing I assume? Check the splines for burrs just to be safe. If you are 100% sure that the splines are lined up, tapping it in shouldn't hurt anything, sometimes a little bearing grease on the splines helps too. Also, did you put the new race on the bearing itself on the shaft, that's usually how I do it, rather than putting the new race in the housing itself.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
You pulled the old race out of the housing I assume? Check the splines for burrs just to be safe. If you are 100% sure that the splines are lined up, tapping it in shouldn't hurt anything, sometimes a little bearing grease on the splines helps too. Also, did you put the new race on the bearing itself on the shaft, that's usually how I do it, rather than putting the new race in the housing itself.

Yes the old race is out - ill check for spurs. New race was pressed on already

DH2002

I used this write up today when I replaced both rear shafts, and thank god cause it made it so easy. Got both shafts done and finished in 2 hours... def appreciate the help!!

US Army Combat Vet. Afghanistan 2010-2011

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I used this write up today when I replaced both rear shafts, and thank god cause it made it so easy. Got both shafts done and finished in 2 hours... def appreciate the help!!

US Army Combat Vet. Afghanistan 2010-2011

So glad to hear it :cool:

Unfortunately I had m axle built and added Tenfactorys but now have a seal leak. I just got the new seal and bearing and will be surgically removing the current leaking mess on the axle. Any suggestions for the new seal, bearing and retainer. I have access to a press but want to do it right. I have heard to slide the seal on, press the bearing and in a second operation press the retainer. Anyone know anything different?

whispike

Using this write up to change out my axle shafts but have run into a little problem. The bolts that hold the axle retainer are spinning as I try to remove the nuts on the back side. I was able to get two of the four nuts off but now I’m stuck. Any ideas on what I should do now? I don’t have a welder so I can’t tack weld the bolt and I can’t get any pliers in there to hold the bolt from spinning.

Top Bottom