ARB Fridge/Freezer

holaCG

ARB actually suggest a 6mm diameter wire for runs up to 6m. That translates to somewhere between 2 and 4 gauge. It is rated at 7 amps but I don't know the starting current.

That being said... I ran 10 gauge wire to the back of the jeep and mine is working fine.

Proceed at your own risk!!!! :)

SaddleTramp

ARB actually suggest a 6mm diameter wire for runs up to 6m. That translates to somewhere between 2 and 4 gauge. It is rated at 7 amps but I don't know the starting current.

That being said... I ran 10 gauge wire to the back of the jeep and mine is working fine.

Proceed at your own risk!!!! :)

10-4 thanks. I actually just saw the ARB branded auxiliary plug comes with 8 gauge.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-FRIDGE-FREEZER-WIRING-KIT-THREADED-SOCKET-10900027-P22817

Was surprised that the fridge/freezer draws less than 1.5 amps per the ARB specs. page.

holaCG

10-4 thanks. I actually just saw the ARB branded auxiliary plug comes with 8 gauge.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-FRIDGE-FREEZER-WIRING-KIT-THREADED-SOCKET-10900027-P22817

Was surprised that the fridge/freezer draws less than 1.5 amps per the ARB specs. page.

Yeah, I have no idea why the manual says 6mm. But just remember it is 1 amp on 120 volts, 7 amps at 12 volts.

ynarydu2.jpg

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I love the idea of having a fridge in the jeep. We do a fair amount of camping and the cooler/ice thing is always such a hassle, plus you have to get a bigger cooler to account for the room the ice is going to take up. Bigger cooler=less room in jeep and more weight. With the fridge I imagine you'd be able to fit more stuff (more efficient). I just don't have the money for one right now but someday....

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I love the idea of having a fridge in the jeep. We do a fair amount of camping and the cooler/ice thing is always such a hassle, plus you have to get a bigger cooler to account for the room the ice is going to take up. Bigger cooler=less room in jeep and more weight. With the fridge I imagine you'd be able to fit more stuff (more efficient). I just don't have the money for one right now but someday....

Best investment I have made for the jeep, coilovers next :)

Danny4652

I have both the smaller 47 and the medium 50 but find that I mostly carry the smaller one with me. The medium size one is great for long camping trips but is otherwise more than I need and just ends up taking space. If I could only have one though, I would get the medium one.

Having said that, I would highly recommend that you get a deep cycle battery for it and run a new direct 12v plug from it and with heavy gauge wires. The wires on the factory 12v plugs are too thin and you will develop issues with your fridge staying on.

Good Advice. I have a deep cycle battery and dedicated line for with better wire. Once you pull trigger on it's hard to go back. I love it.

citysnaps

if you order from nr4x4 with the 10% off and the $75 dollar rebate, it comes out to $715 bucks. that's a good deal. if you really want one and have the money, i'd go for it. probably the cheapest it will ever be:thumb:

How does one get the 10% off at Northridge 4x4?

Thanx...

maxcustody

I just saw this and was looking at Engel coolers..........They are $300, so I guess I would really only be spending $400, trying to justify it:doh:
How long of a life do they have?

Rancho

Caught the Bug
My ARB freezer/fridge is a rebranded Engel. I am on year 7 and it is used everyday to keep my malty beverages cold. I know guys that are on 10+. That being said, I am not too sure if this is an old Optima vs new Optima type thing...

I just saw this and was looking at Engel coolers..........They are $300, so I guess I would really only be spending $400, trying to justify it:doh:
How long of a life do they have?

Top Bottom