ARB Fridge/Freezer

I'm looking to take advantage of ARB's rebate offer right now and picking up a fridge.

So anyway. I'm curious as to what size most folks are running in their JK's. Where is it mounted and things you like/dislike about your setup. Any power issues running off the auxiliary plug in the back or the center console? Issues with keeping it cold while it's 100* out. Etc etc.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I love mine! I got the medium one, I think the 47 or 50, I don't remember. I had problems keeping temps regular with the rear outlet, so I tried the console one. It worked a lot better. I bought a outlet from Amazon to run a dedicated outlet for it, just haven't done it yet. But I'm done buying ice and having soggy food.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Love it. 50L I think. Run it from the center console with no problem. Kept everything perfectly cold on the Las Vegas Marathon run at around 100 degrees. :thumb:

Honestly I was very reluctant to buy one because of the price. I absolutely love the thing. Wife even uses it on days she has to run errands and wants to keep perishables cold. :yup:

holaCG

I also love my 50 qt. It has been across the country a few times, in and out of our vehicles and on the rubicon.

It has pretty much been on the whole 18 months I have owned it (use it in the garage to keep water cold) without any issues until last week when I notice the temp was only 58 degrees. The area where the compressor is was also really hot.

I called ARB the next day and he had me take it apart and check a few things and diagnosed it as a bad fan and sent one right out. It was a little harder to get the fan out and replaced than he said but I got it done in about 30 minutes and it works perfect again.

I don't know if it would be worth having a spare or not but if the little 120mm fan goes out, it doesn't work so well!!

The only regret I have is that I only have one!! I would love one for a fridge and the other as a freezer for the longer trips.

olram30

if you order from nr4x4 with the 10% off and the $75 dollar rebate, it comes out to $715 bucks. that's a good deal. if you really want one and have the money, i'd go for it. probably the cheapest it will ever be:thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I also love my 50 qt. It has been across the country a few times, in and out of our vehicles and on the rubicon.

It has pretty much been on the whole 18 months I have owned it (use it in the garage to keep water cold) without any issues until last week when I notice the temp was only 58 degrees. The area where the compressor is was also really hot.

I called ARB the next day and he had me take it apart and check a few things and diagnosed it as a bad fan and sent one right out. It was a little harder to get the fan out and replaced than he said but I got it done in about 30 minutes and it works perfect again.

I don't know if it would be worth having a spare or not but if the little 120mm fan goes out, it doesn't work so well!!

The only regret I have is that I only have one!! I would love one for a fridge and the other as a freezer for the longer trips.

This is good info. I wondered about just leaving it running in the garage all the time. I typically plug it in the night before I need it.

Love it. 50L I think. Run it from the center console with no problem. Kept everything perfectly cold on the Las Vegas Marathon run at around 100 degrees. :thumb:

Honestly I was very reluctant to buy one because of the price. I absolutely love the thing. Wife even uses it on days she has to run errands and wants to keep perishables cold. :yup:

The price is what has been holding me back these last few years. I'm going to finally do it.

We just did our monthly Costco and other big shopping run yesterday. We were just talking about how much of a PITA it is with coolers and ice. I think my wife will end up using it more than I will.

I have had an the old Engel re-branded ARB for about 8 years. I used it when I was in the brewery industry. Nothing like walking into an account with a cold beer for a sample to try. :beer: It is used daily as my garage cooler to keep that beer cold.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have both the smaller 47 and the medium 50 but find that I mostly carry the smaller one with me. The medium size one is great for long camping trips but is otherwise more than I need and just ends up taking space. If I could only have one though, I would get the medium one.

Having said that, I would highly recommend that you get a deep cycle battery for it and run a new direct 12v plug from it and with heavy gauge wires. The wires on the factory 12v plugs are too thin and you will develop issues with your fridge staying on.

holaCG

I have both the smaller 47 and the medium 50 but find that I mostly carry the smaller one with me. The medium size one is great for long camping trips but is otherwise more than I need and just ends up taking space. If I could only have one though, I would get the medium one.

Having said that, I would highly recommend that you get a deep cycle battery for it and run a new direct 12v plug from it and with heavy gauge wires. The wires on the factory 12v plugs are too thin and you will develop issues with your fridge staying on.

I second what Eddie said. With the factory socket and Arb plug I had it come unplugged a few times and the low voltage shut off would kick in early because of the voltage drop from the thinner wire.

I ran a dedicated line from the battery and used Anderson connectors to make the connection. No issues since.

yvuze8yt.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great info guys!!

Any pics of your mounting trays/sliders or any other configuration.

Oh man, you should talk to kenb1010. He had a great setup that included a stove that slid out of the back. With any luck, he still has some pics of it. Me, I just fold down the rear driver side seat and put it on there. If you don't need the seat, it makes it super easy to get to.

Charlie Mike

holaCG said:
I second what Eddie said. With the factory socket and Arb plug I had it come unplugged a few times and the low voltage shut off would kick in early because of the voltage drop from the thinner wire. I ran a dedicated line from the battery and used Anderson connectors to make the connection. No issues since.

So if you run a direct line from the battery, does that mean the fridge is constantly running? That doesn't drain the battery if you're at camp and the jeep is not running?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So if you run a direct line from the battery, does that mean the fridge is constantly running? That doesn't drain the battery if you're at camp and the jeep is not running?

The ARB fridge freeze has different settings and you can set it so that it will cut itself off before your battery is drained.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Yes. No. The ARB has a smart charging system and will turn itself off before completely draining your battery (at least it should.)

holaCG

The fridge will only run enough to keep the desired temp just like your fridge at home. It cycles on and off as required. There are three settings for the cut off/turn back on voltages. Below is the table for the different settings of the battery monitor from the ARB manual.

vypehu5y.jpg

The problem I was having before I ran a larger, dedicated line. When the jeep was off, when the compressor tried to start the voltage would drop below the threshold and the fridge would go into protection mode. Once I started the jeep and the alternator was providing the higher voltage to the electrical system, the fridge would start right back up.

Voltage drop is pretty significant on a 12V system when trying to pull too many amps too long of distance with too small of a wire.

Charlie Mike

The ARB fridge freeze has different settings and you can set it so that it will cut itself off before your battery is drained.

Yes. No. The ARB has a smart charging system and will turn itself off before completely draining your battery (at least it should.)

The fridge will only run enough to keep the desired temp just like your fridge at home. It cycles on and off as required. There are three settings for the cut off/turn back on voltages. Below is the table for the different settings of the battery monitor from the ARB manual.

The problem I was having before I ran a larger, dedicated line. When the jeep was off, when the compressor tried to start the voltage would drop below the threshold and the fridge would go into protection mode. Once I started the jeep and the alternator was providing the higher voltage to the electrical system, the fridge would start right back up.

Voltage drop is pretty significant on a 12V system when trying to pull too many amps too long of distance with too small of a wire.

Got it. Very nice!
Another thing to add to the list! :thumb:

Vudoo1

I've always wanted one of these. With the rebate and nice pricing from northridge, I think I am going to pick one up. I use my back seats often. Can you just put the fridge in and take it out when you dont use it or does it need to be bolted down?

olram30

I've always wanted one of these. With the rebate and nice pricing from northridge, I think I am going to pick one up. I use my back seats often. Can you just put the fridge in and take it out when you dont use it or does it need to be bolted down?

I just put mine in the back, fits perfect behind the back seat, I bought a small ratchet strap, but I didn't pay attention to the hook and bent my tailgate. Just threw the ratchet strap in the tool bag and used piece of paracord. To hold it down. The instructions have mounting ideas if you want a more permanent mounting.

Top Bottom