All things Colorado

Jackal01

Somewhere between Pagosa Springs and Salida.

20171001_130317%7E2.jpg

Perhaps someone from Colorado can tell me what that wooden fence thing is. Saw a ton of them on 160 today. Only in open plains areas.

20171001_152922%7E2.jpg

Jackal01

Salida is awesome! Did you hit St.Elmo?
Negative. Drove through from Durango to Estes Park.

15 years ago in Boy Scouts, however, I submitted Mt Shavano. Didn't realize we would drive right by it today (center peak). It was neat to see it again after so much time.
20171001_135050%7E2.jpg

Jackal01

Nice road trip regardless!
Oh for sure. Had a blast with the Texas Exodus group last week but it is nice being on our own for 10 days. Supposed to snow here tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Not sure what we are gonna do in Wyoming but being this close we figured why not check it out. Maybe hit up Medicine Bow for a half day.

We, also, spend a lot of time dreaming of living here and being envious of the cabins we see tucked away on a mountain side. Hopefully retirement it will happen.

Exodus 4x4

Oh for sure. Had a blast with the Texas Exodus group last week but it is nice being on our own for 10 days. Supposed to snow here tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Not sure what we are gonna do in Wyoming but being this close we figured why not check it out. Maybe hit up Medicine Bow for a half day.

We, also, spend a lot of time dreaming of living here and being envious of the cabins we see tucked away on a mountain side. Hopefully retirement it will happen.

Check out Devils Tower in Wyoming

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Don't wait! Do it now! Life is short!

Jackal01

Check out Devils Tower in Wyoming

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
We would if it wasn't 6 hours away.
Don't wait! Do it now! Life is short!
Also, we would, but my career has me stuck in Texas. All my firefighter certs and whatnot are only good in Texas. I made the mistake early on to not pay for "seals" that allow certs to transfer to other states. At the time I was single and never occurred to me I may not want to stay in Texas forever. I could start over but I would lose my time and a lot of matched-money in retirement. My wife can go anywhere with her business degree but she's about to get promoted, at the same fire dept, to office manager which gets a beast pay raise and salaried so time off will be fantastic like my schedule. So unless we win a lotto, we will be dealing with 10 months of nasty heat for 20-25 years.

On the DSNGRR yesterday I did chat with the brakeman about his job. Seemed fun. I could for sure do it and promote up but the pay probably stinks. Lol.

GraniteCrystal

We would if it wasn't 6 hours away.

Also, we would, but my career has me stuck in Texas. All my firefighter certs and whatnot are only good in Texas. I made the mistake early on to not pay for "seals" that allow certs to transfer to other states. At the time I was single and never occurred to me I may not want to stay in Texas forever. I could start over but I would lose my time and a lot of matched-money in retirement. My wife can go anywhere with her business degree but she's about to get promoted, at the same fire dept, to office manager which gets a beast pay raise and salaried so time off will be fantastic like my schedule. So unless we win a lotto, we will be dealing with 10 months of nasty heat for 20-25 years.

On the DSNGRR yesterday I did chat with the brakeman about his job. Seemed fun. I could for sure do it and promote up but the pay probably stinks. Lol.
Sunk cost. Make the change now. It'll suck for about 5 years but then you'll be making just as much and you'll be living in Colorado. Wait till retirement and you'll be too old to enjoy some of the things you'd like to do. Plus we could go wheeling together 👍 and Zero could play with Ollie 👍👍

IMG_20170802_201148.jpg

Jackal01

Sunk cost. Make the change now. It'll suck for about 5 years but then you'll be making just as much and you'll be living in Colorado. Wait till retirement and you'll be too old to enjoy some of the things you'd like to do. Plus we could go wheeling together 👍 and Zero could play with Ollie 👍👍

View attachment 278340
Ollie looks like a coooool dog. They need to for sure meet.

Also, we are in the process of closing on 5 acres and a contractor for a cabin as soon as we get back home. I know I know...fees to terminate contracts are negligible compared to moving up here but it just can't happen. We will live with making a trip here every couple years or so.

GraniteCrystal

Also, we are in the process of closing on 5 acres and a contractor for a cabin as soon as we get back home. I know I know...fees to terminate contracts are negligible compared to moving up here but it just can't happen. We will live with making a trip here every couple years or so.
5 acres is pretty sweet. Obstacle course? 😉

Jackal01

5 acres is pretty sweet. Obstacle course? 😉
Lol. Maybe. It's totally wooded. Plan is to clear a 300 foot curved drive and have 1 acre cleared with enough trees and brush to line the perimeter as to not see us. There are neighbors on all 3 sides but I scouted before we put in contract and it is quiet enough. We just wanna be left alone. That's the other issue with CO, 5 acres close enough to a town with a paid fire dept is pricey it seems. We want land for a few animals, a pond, a pool and potentially practice with the boom sicks.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cabin do you plan to build? Are you going to be doing some of the work?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cabin do you plan to build? Are you going to be doing some of the work?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app
If we were paying cash we would do the work but the bank requires a "legit" contractor. Whatever.

I took a dog run/trot design and enclosed the center breezeway which essentially turned it into a rectangle. 1600 SF heated, two 300 SF porches. Block and beam foundation. Open first and second floors. Only one bedroom located on the second. Closets in the dead space second. First will have living, dining, kitchen and utility room with W/D, water heater, second toilet with a small bar sink, and cat litter box with a small door in the people door. 2 dormers. Dog crate in dead space under stairs. Mini split HVAC and a wooden stove just because. Propane appliances. Maybe propane tankless WH. Well and septic. We want board and batten exterior, metal roof and pine paneling inside walls. However, with Hurricane Harvey, wood prices are gonna skyrocket and will be hard to come by so we may have to forgo some of that wood for now and perhaps replace as the years go by. So then drywall with wood accents and molding would be the interior. 2x6 flooring. We want it as rustic as possible. Tough part has been locating a contractor since cabins aren't that common. There's a big names like Southland, Leland, etc but they are double our budget.

Top Bottom