All things Colorado

Ddays

Hooked
When is peak Fall out there? Do the trails get crowded or semi-crowded then? Any snow in Sept/Oct? I'v learned my lesson regarding April last year so the hell with that time of year!

WJCO

Meme King
When is peak Fall out there? Do the trails get crowded or semi-crowded then? Any snow in Sept/Oct? I'v learned my lesson regarding April last year so the hell with that time of year!

Last week in September or first in October. I have not found the trails to be crowded but roads can be. Snow just starting at higher elevations. Get your ass out here. Stay off I80 ;)

Ddays

Hooked
Last week in September or first in October. I have not found the trails to be crowded but roads can be. Snow just starting at higher elevations. Get your ass out here. Stay off I80 ;)

I'm tryin man I'm tryin. LOL no more I80 for me[emoji867]

Sent from my iThingie

RUBEERCON

Flying out of Tulsa via Southwest to Denver this Thursday. Going to Grand Lake Co. for a wedding. I saw a few jeeps on TURO that I can rent. Would it be worth renting a jeep so that I can take a drive on the trails around the grand lake area??
If I get a rental 4wd of some sort will it handle the 1-2 trails. Do you recommend taking a rental out on the easy stuff?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Flying out of Tulsa via Southwest to Denver this Thursday. Going to Grand Lake Co. for a wedding. I saw a few jeeps on TURO that I can rent. Would it be worth renting a jeep so that I can take a drive on the trails around the grand lake area??
If I get a rental 4wd of some sort will it handle the 1-2 trails. Do you recommend taking a rental out on the easy stuff?
Thanks

Man, Grand Lake looks awesome. Never been have seen pics of it. My brother goes the and rents a cabin. I think it might be the moose capital here. Hell yeah I'd rent a jeep there!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King

You got about 2ish more weeks. Colors already starting to turn. This was just shy of 9K.

DSC06865.jpg

DSC06867.jpg

98XJ06LJ

Thanks

I used to live in Grand lake for 6 years. A stock Jeep can handle just about any trail in that area. You shouldn't have any problems getting out in the woods and having a good trip with a rental. Take hwy 34 out of town towards the park and as you pass the visitors center turn left on CR 491, follow it about 1.5 miles and turn left on CR 492. Follow 492 for a half mile and turn left. Drive for a .25 mile and that is the trail head for South Supply Trail. You can pick up a trail map at most places in town or just follow the signs on the trails. There are signs at every major trail intersection. Great ride, nothing crazy just easy trails and great views.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I used to live in Grand lake for 6 years. A stock Jeep can handle just about any trail in that area. You shouldn't have any problems getting out in the woods and having a good trip with a rental. Take hwy 34 out of town towards the park and as you pass the visitors center turn left on CR 491, follow it about 1.5 miles and turn left on CR 492. Follow 492 for a half mile and turn left. Drive for a .25 mile and that is the trail head for South Supply Trail. You can pick up a trail map at most places in town or just follow the signs on the trails. There are signs at every major trail intersection. Great ride, nothing crazy just easy trails and great views.

What did you do there? You miss it?

RUBEERCON

Thanks!!! Landing in Denver at 730 am tomorrow. Got a 2 door JK off Turo rental website. Clean 2012 - 2 door with heated seats nav etc. for 4 days Insured, 400.00 total. First time using Turo we'll see how it goes...

We're riding side by sides with the wedding party at noon tomorrow. I'll get to see where I can go in the jeep. Thanks for the instructions! Can't wait to see the mountains.
Steve

GraniteCrystal

Thanks!!! Landing in Denver at 730 am tomorrow. Got a 2 door JK off Turo rental website. Clean 2012 - 2 door with heated seats nav etc. for 4 days Insured, 400.00 total. First time using Turo we'll see how it goes...

We're riding side by sides with the wedding party at noon tomorrow. I'll get to see where I can go in the jeep. Thanks for the instructions! Can't wait to see the mountains.
Steve

Just a heads up, the smoke has sucked lately. We're getting it from Montana and Oregon. I think you'll be better the higher you go.

RUBEERCON

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that, we were watching the hurricanes so close that we had no idea that the fires were going. Just landed in the amazing state of Colorado! Thanks for having us.

98XJ06LJ

What did you do there? You miss it?

Funny you mention the smoke...... I was a Wildland Firefighter for the USFS based in Grand Lake on the Arapaho Roosevelt National Forest. Grand Lake is a great town. Less than a thousand year round residents and 11 bars. So you can see what the locals do..... Lol. They close highway 34 all winter because of the snow in the park so it then becomes a town 17 miles down a dead end highway. Tons of snowmobiling and hiking so it's awesome. And yes, I miss it.

WJCO

Meme King
Funny you mention the smoke...... I was a Wildland Firefighter for the USFS based in Grand Lake on the Arapaho Roosevelt National Forest. Grand Lake is a great town. Less than a thousand year round residents and 11 bars. So you can see what the locals do..... Lol. They close highway 34 all winter because of the snow in the park so it then becomes a town 17 miles down a dead end highway. Tons of snowmobiling and hiking so it's awesome. And yes, I miss it.

We love going there in the winter and I've even had to work there in the winter. It definitely is a ghost town, but the stores are still open! And I love seeing snowmobiles on the road instead of cars. Cool place for sure. The drive over berthoud pass is breathtaking, postcard quality for sure.

98XJ06LJ

Nice! The last one looks like a photo shop one jeep would use in their packets! Lol!

That would have been taken on hwy 40 leaving Impire headed towards the pass. Hard to have a bad day when your drive to work and drive home has that view. Hope you guys are enjoying your trip. It might be your first time there but I'm sure you will be back now that you know what you have been missing.

Top Bottom