All things Colorado

catahoula

Caught the Bug
If we were paying cash we would do the work but the bank requires a "legit" contractor. Whatever.

I took a dog run/trot design and enclosed the center breezeway which essentially turned it into a rectangle. 1600 SF heated, two 300 SF porches. Block and beam foundation. Open first and second floors. Only one bedroom located on the second. Closets in the dead space second. First will have living, dining, kitchen and utility room with W/D, water heater, second toilet with a small bar sink, and cat litter box with a small door in the people door. 2 dormers. Dog crate in dead space under stairs. Mini split HVAC and a wooden stove just because. Propane appliances. Maybe propane tankless WH. Well and septic. We want board and batten exterior, metal roof and pine paneling inside walls. However, with Hurricane Harvey, wood prices are gonna skyrocket and will be hard to come by so we may have to forgo some of that wood for now and perhaps replace as the years go by. So then drywall with wood accents and molding would be the interior. 2x6 flooring. We want it as rustic as possible. Tough part has been locating a contractor since cabins aren't that common. There's a big names like Southland, Leland, etc but they are double our budget.

We ran into the same problem. Need a GC. Bullshit! Our plan is to pay cash build small. I love your plan and ideas. I built a small opening framed it out from my laundry room into my utilities room and built an enclosed litter box room within. I go in there and open up to scoop litter. Helps prevent the dog from eating cat shit! One thing we will do to save a shit ton for wood paneling inside is either get a dado blade and make our own ship lap. Or get pallets, break down and either leave as is or plane then attach to studs. Best to use pallets that are 48 x 48 so whether 16 O.C you hit it 3x's or 24 O.C. then 2x's. I would either use roof felt over studs or a black moisture barrier so as to not see between slats. Google pallet floors, wood ring floors. So many ways to save. Pallets you can any where from a few bucks to free!!!! Shit you could even torch them to add more character.
I dig the mini splits as well. We want an on demand WH as well. I'm torn between a propane or wood pellet gravity fed stove.

Jackal01

We ran into the same problem. Need a GC. Bullshit! Our plan is to pay cash build small. I love your plan and ideas. I built a small opening framed it out from my laundry room into my utilities room and built an enclosed litter box room within. I go in there and open up to scoop litter. Helps prevent the dog from eating cat shit! One thing we will do to save a shit ton for wood paneling inside is either get a dado blade and make our own ship lap. Or get pallets, break down and either leave as is or plane then attach to studs. Best to use pallets that are 48 x 48 so whether 16 O.C you hit it 3x's or 24 O.C. then 2x's. I would either use roof felt over studs or a black moisture barrier so as to not see between slats. Google pallet floors, wood ring floors. So many ways to save. Pallets you can any where from a few bucks to free!!!! Shit you could even torch them to add more character.
I dig the mini splits as well. We want an on demand WH as well. I'm torn between a propane or wood pellet gravity fed stove.
Some good ideas. We will have to look into them. Once we get done with this trip we should have a bid from a GC. Looking forward to getting back home to get it actually since their ballpark price was good for us but high for them so we may be under budget which means we may be able to do a garage shop up front instead of waiting a couple years!

We are downsizing as well but only by about 300 SF. If money allows I want a 1k gallon propane tank as to fill up less often and then be able to run a standby generator. I'd like solar bit for how wooded we want it i don't see it working out well. I'm hoping we can lump a generator into the mortgage.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Some good ideas. We will have to look into them. Once we get done with this trip we should have a bid from a GC. Looking forward to getting back home to get it actually since their ballpark price was good for us but high for them so we may be under budget which means we may be able to do a garage shop up front instead of waiting a couple years!

We are downsizing as well but only by about 300 SF. If money allows I want a 1k gallon propane tank as to fill up less often and then be able to run a standby generator. I'd like solar bit for how wooded we want it i don't see it working out well. I'm hoping we can lump a generator into the mortgage.

LOL! Once our place sells we will be going from an over 1700 place to less than 700! I also wanted to mention I met a few GC's that will work with me and let me do more labor. They would pull needed permits. They are out there. I spoke with a guy and he made perfect sense. There is skill and there is labor. Do most labor yourself, pull and run wires for example. Then let the trade hook it up. I have not read a lot about it, but LG just came out with a more efficient solar panel. Generac seems to be a pretty decent generator you might want to check out.

Jackal01

LOL! Once our place sells we will be going from an over 1700 place to less than 700! I also wanted to mention I met a few GC's that will work with me and let me do more labor. They would pull needed permits. They are out there. I spoke with a guy and he made perfect sense. There is skill and there is labor. Do most labor yourself, pull and run wires for example. Then let the trade hook it up. I have not read a lot about it, but LG just came out with a more efficient solar panel. Generac seems to be a pretty decent generator you might want to check out.
And that's what I wanna do. I wanna wire in lights, switches, fans etc. I've done all that. No sense in paying for that labor. I can do a lot more as well. Just the bank is being a stickler.

We have a portable generac and it's been great so we will go with them again.

Didn't know LG made solar panels.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
And that's what I wanna do. I wanna wire in lights, switches, fans etc. I've done all that. No sense in paying for that labor. I can do a lot more as well. Just the bank is being a stickler.

We have a portable generac and it's been great so we will go with them again.

Didn't know LG made solar panels.

Yup, banks want all your money. The LG came up on my google. I will try to find it and let ya know.

Here ya go!

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/09/19/lgs-new-solar-panel-spi/

Jackal01

20171003_155056%7E2.jpg

Tonight's lodging after 11 days of KOA.

Hints..."redrum" and "no way? Thats awesome! We landed on the moon!"

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Here's some scenery and wildlife pics from a drive today. Snow was pretty but suppose to clear up tomorrow.

DSC07116.jpg

DSC07118.jpg

DSC07126.jpg

DSC07127.jpg

DSC07130.jpg

DSC07154.jpg

DSC07155.jpg

Jackal01

Shit, Wish I had known you were there. We drove right past you today, I would have said stopped and said Hi. Great place to stay, room service for room 237 sucks, just a hint.
Lol. Damnit! Looks like you want through the RMNF today? We were there yesterday!

I was taking some cell phone pics and video via my canon binos with image stab. It worked out well enough once I got both lined up. Got the tail end of one calling, too.

20171002_112020%7E2.jpg
20171002_101641%7E2.jpg
20171002_115720%7E2.jpg
20171002_110939%7E2.jpg

https://youtu.be/4PKLgdoxtoo

GraniteCrystal

Anyone heard of the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route? COBDR? Apparently it's a route put together by a group on motorcycle but could be done in a Jeep. Anyone ever done the whole thing, NM to WY all the way across CO? I'm considering it

WJCO

Meme King
For any of you who locals who have not driven up to Winter Park during a snow storm, it's a must. We try to do it once a year. One of the prettiest parts of the state IMO. Funny thing is, we expected roads to be dry today, Nope. At least we got up there during a mild time of year instead of January. We did get some sunshine by Shadow Mountain Lake for lunch though, but it was still in the 20s.

DSC07291.jpg

DSC07308.jpg

DSC07281.jpg

DSC07313.jpg

DSC07318.jpg

DSC07323.jpg

DSC07330.jpg

DSC07333.jpg

DSC07340.jpg

For any of you who locals who have not driven up to Winter Park during a snow storm, it's a must. We try to do it once a year. One of the prettiest parts of the state IMO. Funny thing is, we expected roads to be dry today, Nope. At least we got up there during a mild time of year instead of January. We did get some sunshine by Shadow Mountain Lake for lunch though, but it was still in the 20s.

View attachment 280405

View attachment 280406

View attachment 280407

View attachment 280408

View attachment 280409

View attachment 280410

View attachment 280411

View attachment 280412

View attachment 280413

Absolutely unreal. Looks like an awesome day!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I'm torn between wanting to spend time in Co in the Summer or this tome of year when it starts to snow. Both seem to be awesome.

Top Bottom