WOL Motorcycle Thread

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Hope there was no lasting damage! What happened?

^I meant to you but hope the bike was ok too :doh:

At least only your pride took a hit and not the wife(or you might have not had a bike much longer) ;)

Speed, rough road and gravel, inexperience..

I had leathers on so not much to me. Couple scratches on the hand grip and a broken belt guard. Luckily my body took the fall so no paint damage ! Lol

TwistedJK

More import is watching out for other idiot drivers. They can't see a lifted jeep let alone a small motorcycle. My brothers were involved in a really bad wreck a few biketoberfests ago that resulted in my brother needing metal plates in his arm and a collapsed lung. His fiancé unfortunately died. They were hit by a scumbag that was out on parole and was under the influence of oxies. Not trying to scare you, but just letting you know what's out there.

Spudcannons

Speed, rough road and gravel, inexperience..

I had leathers on so not much to me. Couple scratches on the hand grip and a broken belt guard. Luckily my body took the fall so no paint damage ! Lol

Thats good to hear

More import is watching out for other idiot drivers. They can't see a lifted jeep let alone a small motorcycle. My brothers were involved in a really bad wreck a few biketoberfests ago that resulted in my brother needing metal plates in his arm and a collapsed lung. His fiancé unfortunately died. They were hit by a scumbag that was out on parole and was under the influence of oxies. Not trying to scare you, but just letting you know what's out there.

Sorry to hear about your brother. That really sucks. The other drivers are what worry me about motorcycles.

I found this on CL- seems like a solid deal.

The original Suzuki GSX-R750 was designed as a street-legal bike that was born on the circuit. The 2015 Suzuki GSX-S750 gives that championship-winning heritage even more street-smart performance. Blending just the right mix of modern sportbike performance with futuristic streetbike style, this 750 is purpose-built for excitement.

MSRP: $8,149 SALE PRICE $6,899!!

MotoMatthew

The 750 rips. Not a beginner bike. Your call of course.

If you want to really become a proficient rider I recommend starting smaller. You learn way more about motorcycling well on a bike that isn't trying to murder you.

spinuck

Sorry to hear that. My brother ( who had an R1) and I were talking about how there seems to be an increase in the number of people who not only don't pay attention, but seem to intentionally try to mess with motorcycles. we both ended up selling ours. He put a turbo R1 engine in his quad for dune racing, and I sold my Harley to put down on a two door JK.

Good luck OP with your choice. have fun and be safe!

MotoMatthew

In that case I'm going cheap. What should I look for in a used bike? What mileage is a lot for a bike? Signs of issues ect?

20k is a lot for a sport bike unless you are totally positive it's been maintained very very well.

Look for a dirty air filter, leaking fork seals and any metal flakes in oil. For starters. All indicate crappy maintenance to me.

Rodeo_jk

The 750 rips. Not a beginner bike. Your call of course.

If you want to really become a proficient rider I recommend starting smaller. You learn way more about motorcycling well on a bike that isn't trying to murder you.

Couldnt agree more, smaller bikes hold their value fairly well too so you can sell it to another beginner when you feel like youve outgrown it

Spudcannons

Sorry to hear that. My brother ( who had an R1) and I were talking about how there seems to be an increase in the number of people who not only don't pay attention, but seem to intentionally try to mess with motorcycles. we both ended up selling ours. He put a turbo R1 engine in his quad for dune racing, and I sold my Harley to put down on a two door JK.

Good luck OP with your choice. have fun and be safe!

Thanks

Couldnt agree more, smaller bikes hold their value fairly well too so you can sell it to another beginner when you feel like youve outgrown it

Small like 250? Or something more like a 500? The dual purpose seem like a good spot to start but I don't know if they will hold value or be capable of highway use.

MotoMatthew

In my humble opinion a ninja 250/300 is the perfect starter bike. Buy it used and sell it for what you paid for it once you've learned the ropes. Then you'll have a better idea of what type of bike you want long term anyway.

MotoMatthew

Honda makes a new small displacement dual sport bike. I think it's a 250l? That would be perfect too but good luck finding a deal on one used. They are fairly new.

thardy

Banned
In my humble opinion a ninja 250/300 is the perfect starter bike. Buy it used and sell it for what you paid for it once you've learned the ropes. Then you'll have a better idea of what type of bike you want long term anyway.

This is great advice unless your a bigger guy. I know I wouldn't be comfortable on one of those.

MotoMatthew

Good point. If you are bigger maybe something like a Honda 650l? Or a bmw 650? A ninja 650 or an sv650 would also work. Stay away from 600cc bikes though. They are race bikes. Oddly a ninja 650 or sv650 are waaaay more user friendly than a 600.

Rodeo_jk

The newer ninja 650r is a great starter bike, theyre usually not beat up, fuel injected, and its a vtwin so its not as agressive as the supersport type bikes and theyre a bit cheaper to insure too

Brent McCartney

A lot of colleges offer motor cycle safety courses where you can learn to ride and in most cases on there bike. Most use a rebel 250 for learning. But as far as buying a first bike you have to decide how you are going to ride. Fast and furious or cruise along like your in a Jeep. I have had a Honda 900 CBR RR, but now have a Honda Shadow Sabre 1100.

Top Bottom