WOL Motorcycle Thread

TwistedJK

I love Ducati's, but I'd stay away from older ones prior to 1997. They need a lot of attention. The newer ones are much better. Can't beat the sound of them, in my opinion. I've owned a 1957 Monza with a bevel drive motor, 2006 749, and a 2007 monster. I loved the monster the best.

One of my brothers had a triumph 675 and it was an awesome bike too. Our other brother had a Yamaha R6.

07JKSahara

I had an R6 and it almost killed me. If I got another bike it'd be the Suzuki SV650 or Triumph Speed Triple. I love the cafe racer style, like said above, I'd love to have one to tinker with.

Spudcannons

I had an R6 and it almost killed me. If I got another bike it'd be the Suzuki SV650 or Triumph Speed Triple. I love the cafe racer style, like said above, I'd love to have one to tinker with.

What kind of tinkering would you do? I'm new to the motorcycle thing and know nothing about cafe racers or bikes.

07JKSahara

What kind of tinkering would you do? I'm new to the motorcycle thing and know nothing about cafe racers or bikes.

Just adjusting suspensions, tweaking motor, little add on parts. Seeing what works best for you.

Cafe racer is the more upright, somewhat forward leaning posture. My R6 was uncomfortable unless I was laid on the tank. The cafe style came from the beatniks that would get coffee and race to the next stop. Stripped down, not a lot of fairings and plastic. A little more thorough bred looking.

spinuck

My first bike was a Harley sportster. I rode it for a few months and traded it in on a road king because it was too small and lacked power. I would say to get a bigger bike out of the gate if you're comfortable riding it safely, taking it easy to learn. That may be different in sport bikes. But if you're buying new, no point in eating the depreciation on a smaller bike if you think you'll want bigger later.

MotoMatthew

You need to get a used bike you won't mind dropping. Ride it for 6 months then sell it for what you paid for it.

Best starter bikes are ninja 250/300. Other options are any 650 twin. Sv650 or ninja 650.

You could also get away with a bmw 650.

Spudcannons

You need to get a used bike you won't mind dropping. Ride it for 6 months then sell it for what you paid for it.

Best starter bikes are ninja 250/300. Other options are any 650 twin. Sv650 or ninja 650.

You could also get away with a bmw 650.

Interesting point. Anyone drop their first bike?

GR8WHITE

First motorcycle

Honestly, a dual sport would be a great starter bike. It's basically a dirt bike with lights and a tag. You can get a cheap used crf650l or drz400 and just ride and learn. Once you feel comfortable and decided you want a sport bike or ect... Get one and don't look back.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Interesting point. Anyone drop their first bike?

I almost dropped mine on the ride home from the dealer... while sitting still in traffic....... Rookie mistake, I was trying to look around the car to see what was happening.

You know what though it's just some metal and paint, you can always replace it. Life's too short to ride something you don't like. Get what you want and have fun!

spinuck

What's that saying? "it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN". only time I dropped my road king, I pulled up to a stop light next to another bike and was checking it out. Next thing I knew the bike was falling over with my wife on back. I was able to let it down slowly and avoid damage but it sure was embarrassing, as there were lines of traffic behind us. the other guy jumped off and help me lift it up ( I think it weighs about 800lbs) and said," keep it shiny side up dude!" and jumped on his bike and rode away. I tried to gather the rest of my pride and rode away lol.

Spudcannons

More than once!! The 35 mph drop hurt the worst..

Hope there was no lasting damage! What happened?

^I meant to you but hope the bike was ok too :doh:

What's that saying? "it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN". only time I dropped my road king, I pulled up to a stop light next to another bike and was checking it out. Next thing I knew the bike was falling over with my wife on back. I was able to let it down slowly and avoid damage but it sure was embarrassing, as there were lines of traffic behind us. the other guy jumped off and help me lift it up ( I think it weighs about 800lbs) and said," keep it shiny side up dude!" and jumped on his bike and rode away. I tried to gather the rest of my pride and rode away lol.

At least only your pride took a hit and not the wife(or you might have not had a bike much longer) ;)

Last edited:

Spudcannons

In that case I'm going cheap. What should I look for in a used bike? What mileage is a lot for a bike? Signs of issues ect?

Rodeo_jk

In that case I'm going cheap. What should I look for in a used bike? What mileage is a lot for a bike? Signs of issues ect?

Mines got 17000 and runs like a top, mileage is less important than how it was maintained. Make sure its got good tires, brakes, and the chain and sprockets or belt drive are in good shape. Engine issues should be pretty easy to see on a test ride if there are any. make sure it will be safe above all else.

Top Bottom