WOL Motorcycle Thread

Spudcannons

I just recently acquired my motorcycle license and am currently in the market for a first bike. I really like the Triumph Triple speed but I am not sure of what cc or power level of a bike is too much. Anyone have some experience or recommendations of good starter bikes?

Rodeo_jk

It just depends how comfortable you are, i grew up on dirtbikes and my first motorcycle ended up being a cbr600rr and i adjusted just fine, engine size doesnt have as much to do with it as does rider ability. Vtwins are safer to start on though in my opinion because theyre easier to ride around town and typically are a little softer on acceleration. Just go with whatever you feel comfortable on and take it easy, skills will come with experience. Also, take a safety course, everyone has something to learn from them no matter how seasoned the rider.

Spudcannons

It just depends how comfortable you are, i grew up on dirtbikes and my first motorcycle ended up being a cbr600rr and i adjusted just fine, engine size doesnt have as much to do with it as does rider ability. Vtwins are safer to start on though in my opinion because theyre easier to ride around town and typically are a little softer on acceleration. Just go with whatever you feel comfortable on and take it easy, skills will come with experience. Also, take a safety course, everyone has something to learn from them no matter how seasoned the rider.

Good advise. I took a safety course which used Honda 250's which were pretty disappointing for more than the courses low speed exercises, and I doubt they would be safe on the highway. I like the idea of the blend of drivability and performance of three cylinders plus they sound pretty cool.

trailless

Caught the Bug
First motorcycle

The speed triple is really way too much for a forst bike. That's 1000cc with 120hp for something that weighs around 500lbs wet... With out learning proper wrist control, a ride over an unexpected bump could end badly.

If you want new, maybe look at the Yamaha fz-07. Has a whole bunch of great reviews.

Spudcannons

Nice. I would like a V-Rod night edition or whatever the matte black one is but I don't want to spend that much.

Spudcannons

The speed triple is really way too much for a forst bike. That's 1000cc with 120hp for something that weighs around 500lbs wet... With out learning proper wrist control, a ride over an unexpected bump could end badly.

If you want new, maybe look at the Yamaha fz-07. Has a whole bunch of great reviews.

I was looking at the 675. I agree a liter bike would be overkill :yup:

trailless

Caught the Bug
I was looking at the 675. I agree a liter bike would be overkill :yup:

Ok, I've heard those are a by more tame. I've also heard that it's a very refined bike. Just respect the bike and remember that you want to ride again tomorrow. Good luck!

thardy

Banned
In my opinion, it's a matter of what type of bike you want and what's most comfortable for you. In my opinion, 1000cc is way more than anyone really needs, but if you're a tall guy, a 600 might feel cramped. My buddy's first bike was a Suzuki SV650S and seemed to be a good beginner bike. If you're after the sport bike style, I'd stay 750 or less and get something that's comfortable.

Rodeo_jk

In my opinion, it's a matter of what type of bike you want and what's most comfortable for you. In my opinion, 1000cc is way more than anyone really needs, but if you're a tall guy, a 600 might feel cramped. My buddy's first bike was a Suzuki SV650S and seemed to be a good beginner bike. If you're after the sport bike style, I'd stay 750 or less and get something that's comfortable.

I agree, gs650 is a great bike too, or ninja 650

thardy

Banned
If I were in the market for a sporty bike, these would be my choices.

Kawasaki Z800 ABS
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437494321.695113.jpg

Suzuki GSX-S750Z
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437494362.708484.jpg

Spudcannons

Thoughts on the Ducati scrambler? 75hp 50 ft/lbs of torque and 413 pounds wet. The Triumph is 414 lbs 104 hp and 50 ft/lbs of torque, there is also an R with Olins suspension and brembos for a pretty cheap upgrade fee.

scrambler.jpg

thardy

Banned
Thoughts on the Ducati scrambler? 75hp 50 ft/lbs of torque and 413 pounds wet. The Triumph is 414 lbs 104 hp and 50 ft/lbs of torque, there is also an R with Olins suspension and brembos for a pretty cheap upgrade fee.

View attachment 154985

If that's the style you're after, I'd consider getting an older cafe racer. I would love to have an old cafe racer to tinker with.

Top Bottom