Show Off Your Guns!

Thought it best to post this up here since I need some opinions and advice. Really want to get into shooting more and while I’ve gone here and there I really haven’t had the means (specifically the age 🤣) to do it often here in CA.

I’ve handled a decent amount of stuff but really think starting out with a solid pistol will be best for hitting the range and possibly some competition here and there.

Out of what I am familiar with handgun wise, it’s really any 1911 or Glock - and a couple Berettas. Upon doing some research, I found that while there’s a whole host of well performing options, a few definitely stand out.

For the first firearm I want to own myself, I think I’ve narrowed it down to a 1911 of a reputable make, a Beretta M9, a Glock, or a Sig p226. These have seemed to be the most attractive models to me, and I would get any and all of them chambered in 9mm for ease of access/affordability of ammo, recoil control, and because a .45 is overkill for target shooting - not like I’m fending off bears or armored intruders often… Lol.

The question really is, what’s a good reliable and reputable pistol? I suppose it really depends on the shooter and their competence to maintain their firearm, but with my limited experience I’d love to hear what you guys think.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Thought it best to post this up here since I need some opinions and advice. Really want to get into shooting more and while I’ve gone here and there I really haven’t had the means (specifically the age 🤣) to do it often here in CA.

I’ve handled a decent amount of stuff but really think starting out with a solid pistol will be best for hitting the range and possibly some competition here and there.

Out of what I am familiar with handgun wise, it’s really any 1911 or Glock - and a couple Berettas. Upon doing some research, I found that while there’s a whole host of well performing options, a few definitely stand out.

For the first firearm I want to own myself, I think I’ve narrowed it down to a 1911 of a reputable make, a Glock, or an Sig p226. These have seemed to be the most attractive models to me, and I would get any and all of them chambered in 9mm for ease of access/affordability of ammo, recoil control, and because a .45 is overkill for target shooting - not like I’m fending off bears or armored intruders often… Lol.

The question really is, what’s a good reliable and reputable pistol? I suppose it really depends on the shooter and their competence to maintain their firearm, but with my limited experience I’d love to hear what you guys think.
I'd recommend going to a range and try out rentals of what you're looking at and others before buying, I wish I'd done this before buying. and realizing it wasn't what I was looking for.

I'd recommend going to a range and try out rentals of what you're looking at and others before buying, I wish I'd done this before buying. and realizing it wasn't what I was looking for.
That’s what I’ve been doing so far, have a good idea of how the ones I mentioned performed.

TrailHunter

Hooked
First off we are limited here in CA... especially with 1911's.... and we are limited to 10 rounds. Glocks you will have to get Gen 3's but there is Nothing wrong with that. Renting first is always a great way to Nail down what you want.

I always recommend to start with a Glock 19. I own a 26, 23, and 19... the 19 is by far my Favorite Handgun.

The Sig P226 is an awesome gun... I just can't stand the High Bore Axis. I won't touch their polymer Guns.

Springfield Just added the Hellcat & Hellcat Pro to the Roster. I picked up a Hellcat for CCW but I would look at the Pro for more range use and home defense... they are very Glock Like, but thinner.. and will be more snappy compared to the Glock.

HK has some great options too... they Just added the VP9 series to the Roster... a little pricey and you have to like their controls.. I'm not a fan.

1911's - I F'n Love 1911's... You can go cheap with a Rock Island which is more of a builder. You can modify and have fun with it. Middle of the Road would be Springfield Armory. They make Awesome 1911's for the price... Next I would say Dan Wesson... Above that it's going to be really expensive.. as in Nighthawk & Wilson Combat. Then you have to decide 5" (Government) or 4" (Commander) I have an RIA 5" which I've been building on... bought it 15 years ago when my budget was low.... My Holy Grail now is an Alchemy Customs.. However, I would be Very Happy with a Springfield Garrison.. but unfortunately they are not an option here.

I would look at these options we have here in Comiefornia:
Springfield TRP - 5" .45
Springfield Loaded - 5" .45
Springfield Target - 5" 9mm (only in stainless and ugly adjustable rear sight.. This is the only budget 9mm option)
Springfield Operator - 5" .45 w/Rail
Springfield - 5" .45 Mil Spec
Dan Wesson - "Classic" - .45 4" Commander w/ bobtail (stainless only)
Rock Island Armory - .45 - Government, Commander or Officer - A1 (some models have Beaver Tail Grip safeties and Novak Sights)

Glock and 1911's - You are on the right track in my opinion.

First off we are limited here in CA... especially with 1911's.... and we are limited to 10 rounds. Glocks you will have to get Gen 3's but there is Nothing wrong with that. Renting first is always a great way to Nail down what you want.

I always recommend to start with a Glock 19. I own a 26, 23, and 19... the 19 is by far my Favorite Handgun.

The Sig P226 is an awesome gun... I just can't stand the High Bore Axis. I won't touch their polymer Guns.

Springfield Just added the Hellcat & Hellcat Pro to the Roster. I picked up a Hellcat for CCW but I would look at the Pro for more range use and home defense... they are very Glock Like, but thinner.. and will be more snappy compared to the Glock.

HK has some great options too... they Just added the VP9 series to the Roster... a little pricey and you have to like their controls.. I'm not a fan.

1911's - I F'n Love 1911's... You can go cheap with a Rock Island which is more of a builder. You can modify and have fun with it. Middle of the Road would be Springfield Armory. They make Awesome 1911's for the price... Next I would say Dan Wesson... Above that it's going to be really expensive.. as in Nighthawk & Wilson Combat. Then you have to decide 5" (Government) or 4" (Commander) I have an RIA 5" which I've been building on... bought it 15 years ago when my budget was low.... My Holy Grail now is an Alchemy Customs.. However, I would be Very Happy with a Springfield Garrison.. but unfortunately they are not an option here.

Springfield TRP - 5" .45
Springfield Target - 5" 9mm (only in stainless and ugly adjustable rear sight.. This is the only budget 9mm option)
Rock Island Armory - .45 - Government, Commander or Officer - A1 (some models have Beaver Tail Grip safeties and Novak Sights)

Awesome info thanks Kirk! I am definitely leaning towards 1911 and Glock mainly because of just how classic and cool the 1911 is, and Glock for its polymer build and obvious popularity.

I’ve heard of all these you mentioned, and have tried a few. HK is nice but probably more than I want to spend. Springfield 1911s are up there on my list.

All but one of those you listed on the Cali roster are .45, so would you think I should go that route or start with a 9mm? My logic right now is thinking go with Glock 9x19 AND a 1911 .45 ACP. Classic combo lol. But realistically based on range shooting?

Plan to hit the range near the end of this month and shoot at least those 2 again.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Awesome info thanks Kirk! I am definitely leaning towards 1911 and Glock mainly because of just how classic and cool the 1911 is, and Glock for its polymer build and obvious popularity.

I’ve heard of all these you mentioned, and have tried a few. HK is nice but probably more than I want to spend. Springfield 1911s are up there on my list.

All but one of those you listed on the Cali roster are .45, so would you think I should go that route or start with a 9mm? My logic right now is thinking go with Glock 9x19 AND a 1911 .45 ACP. Classic combo lol. But realistically based on range shooting?

Plan to hit the range near the end of this month and shoot at least those 2 again.
I really want a 9mm 1911 Commander. But I'm not gonna spend 5-6k on a Nighthawk. So it really just leaves the Springfield Target. For me, I don't like the Rear sight and you can't swap it for a more traditional sight because the slide is cut special for it. And I don't like Stainless Guns. If those things don't bother you... the Springfield Target in 9mm would be an awesome 1st 1911.. and great for competition. .45 is really a lot of fun to shoot.. but ammo is a little pricey... and really that's the Only reason I want a 1911 in 9mm as well.

The only other option is a Kimber or RIA in .38 Super... then swap in a 9mm Barrel. But I havent heard good things about Kimber. (my dealer won't even sell them) Kimber does have quite a few .45 models available in CA. But I'd rather stick to the List I gave you.

When it comes to 1911's... you have to like the way it looks... it's like an old Hot Rod.

I really want a 9mm 1911 Commander. But I'm not gonna spend 5-6k on a Nighthawk. So it really just leaves the Springfield Target. For me, I don't like the Rear sight and you can't swap it for a more traditional sight because the slide is cut special for it. And I don't like Stainless Guns. If those things don't bother you... the Springfield Target in 9mm would be an awesome 1st 1911.. and great for competition. .45 is really a lot of fun to shoot.. but ammo is a little pricey... and really that's the Only reason I want a 1911 in 9mm as well.

The only other option is a Kimber or RIA in .38 Super... then swap in a 9mm Barrel. But I havent heard good things about Kimber. (my dealer won't even sell them) Kimber does have quite a few .45 models available in CA. But I'd rather stick to the List I gave you.

When it comes to 1911's... you have to like the way it looks... it's like an old Hot Rod.
Been looking through Springfield’s lineup online, actually really liking the look of the Loaded and TRPs… Gonna see about renting one of each caliber at one of the ranges down here. The one I usually go to most likely has them.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Been looking through Springfield’s lineup online, actually really liking the look of the Loaded and TRPs… Gonna see about renting one of each caliber at one of the ranges down here. The one I usually go to most likely has them.
Those would be my two choices if I was looking to buy another 5” right now. The $800 difference on the TRP is the Finish.. Cerakote vs Parkerized (I actually like Parkerized.. looks old school), the 20 lpi checkered front strap and the magwell. Both have stainless Match Barrels.

I’d remove the Ambi safety and swap in a single sided Wilson Combat Safety. (But Thats just me)

I was at the Gun Store over the weekend and I picked up the TRP… then picked up a $4000 Wilson Combat… and the TRP had a tighter slide to Frame fit. It’s a solid 1911.

Can’t go wrong with either.

**Don’t overlook the Glock 17 or 34 if you want to shoot competition… Maybe Casey will chime in on that.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have been doing tons of research myself. I’m personally leaning toward other guns. As mentioned range days for rents are great for trying stuff. I personally have also been checking out tons of YouTubers that do 1000 round reviews. The one I have found to really like is Honest Outlaw. Great channel with tons of info. Check it out

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have been doing tons of research myself. I’m personally leaning toward other guns. As mentioned range days for rents are great for trying stuff. I personally have also been checking out tons of YouTubers that do 1000 round reviews. The one I have found to really like is Honest Outlaw. Great channel with tons of info. Check it out
After trying some.. what are you leaning towards?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
After trying some.. what are you leaning towards?
I have only been once so far. Shot a Glock 19. Next trip is for the sig p365 x macro or the VP9. Have to see what the wife likes as well and fits her hands. The Glock was to big for her to get a good grip on it

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have only been once so far. Shot a Glock 19. Next trip is for the sig p365 x macro or the VP9. Have to see what the wife likes as well and fits her hands. The Glock was to big for her to get a good grip on it
Nice.. The VP9 is also a double stack… I bet she loves the 365 Macro. Another good one for her might be the Springfield EMP 4”. Its a scaled down 1911 Built for 9mm. The search is half the fun.

Springfield TRP - 5" .45

Nailed it here. I will add that in all the classes I teach, the most common gun I see consistent issues with are the polymer Springfield’s. Their 1911’s are dialed though. Too bad the Echelon isn’t on the roster for you guys…. I’m 3400 rounds through one as a test subject in classes and I’m very impressed.

For the first firearm I want to own myself, I think I’ve narrowed it down to a 1911 of a reputable make, a Beretta M9, a Glock, or a Sig p226. These have seemed to be the most attractive models to me, and I would get any and all of them chambered in 9mm for ease of access/affordability of ammo, recoil control, and because a .45 is overkill for target shooting - not like I’m fending off bears or armored intruders often… Lol.

Hit me up anytime my friend. Happy to walk you though some options as well. Though Kirk has you going in a great direction.

Oh and come on out to a class. Fee is on me. 🤘

Top Bottom