Poison Spyder JK RockBrawler II Rear Bumper Tire Carrier Break

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In spite of what all the haters will try to suggest, I am NOT here to "bash" Poison Spyder. My only purpose for making this post is to inform people who own one of their JK RockBrawler II Rear Bumper Tire Carriers of a significant break that I had recently seen occur on one. As you can see in the photo below, the tire mount completely broke off at the welds and allowed the spare to fall off. Fortunately, nobody was hurt by it.

photo.jpg

Needless to say, if you own one of these tire carriers, I would recommend that you please take the time to carefully check the welds in this area and on a regular basis. Had this break occurred on the highway, it could have been lethal.

ATTENTION: Official Response from Poison Sypder
The following response was made by Poison Spyder Customs, Inc. today regarding a tire carrier break I had seen and posted up and felt that it needed to be shared more prominently. Thank you Poison Spyder for not seeing my post as some kind of "bash", for not making excuses and for not blaming your customer for the break. As I have said in the past, this is the ONLY break I have ever seen and that you were taking care of your customer. I am also glad to hear you are using this opportunity to make significant improvement to your design to mitigate potential problems of this nature in the future. Bravo!

attachment.php

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Holy crap! No penetration..... Hopefully PS will remedy this in case there was a run of these with poor welds. :grayno:

pvanweelden

No penetration... wow, glad nobody was hurt, and hopefully no one will be hurt

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Panda

Mine looks fine but I'm thinking I'll have some extra reinforcement steel welded on there for peace of mind :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
He shoulda rocked the teraflex carrier, heard those are bulletproof. :blush:

:cheesy: Okay, that was funny :crazyeyes:

Mine looks fine but I'm thinking I'll have some extra reinforcement steel welded on there for peace of mind :yup:

Glad to hear it and honestly, I would definitely do that. While the welds on this mount looked fine, you can clearly see there was absolutely no penetration - not something you would be able to see until it's too late.

JAGS

Hooked
That looks crazy. Clearly a bead, but about as effective as some Elmer's school glue.

Do you happen to know how long this was used before this happened? Hard to see what was holding the bracket at all.

- Jason

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I've never really cared for that bracket on ps or that new knock off company cc. Just seems like it's to small of a bracket to hold a heavy tire.

Panda

:cheesy: Okay, that was funny :crazyeyes:

Glad to hear it and honestly, I would definitely do that. While the welds on this mount looked fine, you can clearly see there was absolutely no penetration - not something you would be able to see until it's too late.

Thank you for posting this info, it's really good to know when there may be an issue, my worst fear is the spare falling off it's not just Losing a $500 rim and tire it could be someone's life! I will be cable locking it on until it's reinforced and I will post pics of the reinforcement job when done :thumb:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
WOW! Anyone noticing the excessive rust underneath that mount? I wonder if poor prep from the factory could have have been an additional factor.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
WOW! Anyone noticing the excessive rust underneath that mount? I wonder if poor prep from the factory could have have been an additional factor.

Looks like it's welded on one side only, and since these come bare steel there probably wasn't good rust prevention. But that still doesn't explain the poor welding job and poor design.

2011jk

I didn't like the way the complete tire carrier looks esp compared to their old ones so I made mine out of 1/4", 3/8" receiver tube and 1/2" for the tire plate. I'm running 40" tires and now its solid as possible.:D

SDG

Caught the Bug

Rust would be expected since its a single sided. If it was rusty when it was welded, it could explain some of the issues since its mig, but no knowlegable welder would weld a rusty piece with a mig and expect there not to be porosity. However the lack of penetration is exceptional. I am going to guess someone was not proficent at mig. With a weld like that the guy must have not been watching the puddle, and I am guessing the feed speed was to high, which is why it just layed on the surface. I have not done a ton of mig, but the sound should have been a giveaway that the the machine was not set correctly.

The scary thing is if it was an inexperienced employee with a welder with incorrect settings, there are probably a days worth of production carriers out in use right now. Could be 10 could be 50... depends how many that guy welded before someone said WTF.

TheLloyd

I've had mine attached to a cable from day one to keep the less motivated thieves away. I also, no matter WHO makes this style carrier, will always have a fear of a tire/wheel bouncing into a windshield of a car behind me. I can care less how well the weld penetrated. Basically, Murphy's Law and Shit Happens is a very well respected fact of life with me. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410656906.705951.jpg

Top Bottom