Poison Spyder JK RockBrawler II Rear Bumper Tire Carrier Break

08blkrubi

Just took mine off and having it welded tomorrow. I'm going ahead and re-welding both (also the end the tire mt itself is on) ends of that bracket...:naw:

Jiffy05

I've had mine attached to a cable from day one to keep the less motivated thieves away. I also, no matter WHO makes this style carrier, will always have a fear of a tire/wheel bouncing into a windshield of a car behind me. I can care less how well the weld penetrated. Basically, Murphy's Law and Shit Happens is a very well respected fact of life with me.

What kind of cable did you use for that?

noroad

This is kinda shocking as posion spyder has been known for good welds, you think it was the welds or type of material used?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is kinda shocking as posion spyder has been known for good welds, you think it was the welds or type of material used?

Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of Poison Spyder products and even have some on my own Jeeps but I don't know if I've ever heard of them being "known" for the quality of their welds - just their great looks and styling. I do hope this is an isolated incident but, in this particular case, it was definitely a problem with the welds.

noroad

Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of Poison Spyder products and even have some on my own Jeeps but I don't know if I've ever heard of them being "known" for the quality of their welds - just their great looks and styling. I do hope this is an isolated incident but, in this particular case, it was definitely a problem with the welds.

O I could have heard wrong on my end, I really like some of their stuff as well. I hope as well that it is just an isolated incident with the welds. Do you know the person it happened to? Is posion spyder doing right by them, i think thats a big question as well?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
O I could have heard wrong on my end, I really like some of their stuff as well. I hope as well that it is just an isolated incident with the welds. Do you know the person it happened to? Is posion spyder doing right by them, i think thats a big question as well?

Yes, I know the person and I was there when it broke. He's asked to remain anonymous but agreed this was a problem serious enough that he felt others should know about just in case. Poison Spyder is taking care of him.

noroad

Yes, I know the person and I was there when it broke. He's asked to remain anonymous but agreed this was a problem serious enough that he felt others should know about just in case. Poison Spyder is taking care of him.

I can respect that, I would agree that it is a problem people should look at/ know about. Im glad you both spoke up about the problem, it is also good to hear that posion spyder is taking care of him.

David1tontj

I will be cable locking it on until it's reinforced :thumb:
I've had mine attached to a cable from day one to keep the less motivated thieves away. I also, no matter WHO makes this style carrier, will always have a fear of a tire/wheel bouncing into a windshield of a car behind me. I can care less how well the weld penetrated. Basically, Murphy's Law and Shit Happens is a very well respected fact of life with me. View attachment 100091

Very good idea. I haven't had any problems with my stuff, but I think for extra peace of mind, I will be cable locking mine as well, and would encourage others to do the same no matter what carrier they are running!

When I was 16 I was cruising down the freeway and saw something up in the air that caught my eye... It was an airborne tire heading straight for my windshield- I never even checked to see if there was a car next to me, I just swerved over with no time to spare as the tire whizzed by my driver side window. Very scary.. Let's not be the guy whose rig that tire comes off of.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Poison spyder makes great looking stuff I love it but those are not welds I haven't seen a weld on any of their stuff I have bought if you know anything about welding which I have made a my career on I have some knowledge in welding...

That is just a line of tack welds with a mig gun to give the appeal of a pretty weld people like to see which is not ideal in dynamic loaded situations much like a tire carrier! There are good welders who can manipulate the puddle to give that "rolled dimes" look without it being a series of tacks and there are multiple ways to tell the difference :)

This won't stop me from buying their stuff I love their style but people should keep an eye on their products that are under stress because that style of welding goes against all standards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieK

Wow, this is very concerning to me as I planned on purchasing this bumper in the next few weeks. My goal was to have my bumpers match, but I think I'm going to look at some other options now. Thanks for sharing this with us, would hate to have that type of failure, and hurt somebody or ruin a wheel. What size tire was it holding?

I'm glad no one was hurt...

I know everyone is saying there was a lack of penetration, but it looks to me that the weld itself failed... and it did so because of improper backfilling the previous stitch (see the dimples). It looks to me like this was not a continuous bead but rather a series of tacks. The two (good) reasons for welding this way is to fill a void or weld hotter and not blow through. You can see the weld split right up the middle through the dimples that shouldn't have been there. The bad reason for welding this way is to try to make a MIG weld look like a TIG.

In any case this welder should be fired and PSC should identify the products they worked on.

If you own this carrier and have these dimples I wouldn't wait for a crack... I would ask for a replacement now! (Just looking out)

Edit to add... Thanks for posting Eddie

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
These threads are scary, so I ran out and checked the welds on my ExpeditionONE rear carrier. Everything seems tight and clean, but I may consider an insurance policy and have a cable run through just in case.

Emptybrass

Unfortunately sometimes pretty welds are not the strongest. Those look like they could have been a bit hotter. It looks to me like a clean break. I'm still new to jeeps but metal work is the same regardless. If it's an isolated incident and PS is taking care of it good for them. Anymore customer service is king. That being said I could have done that better with my Hobart 140.

bo9roadking

I like Poison Spyder and have several of their products installed on my JKU. I've never had a problem with any of it.

I even owned a Brawler II for a while. I recently sold it because even though Larry says it will hold up to a 42" tire, my 40" would shake when the jeep hit bumps on the road. It wasn't a bad shake, but I was concerned about stress fractures due to the movement. I never had a problem with it, but I didn't like the tire movement. I'm running the EVO rear Fascia and D-Rings now.
rear1.jpg
EVO Fascia.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just got the following response from Poison Spyder on my Facebook page and felt that it needed to be shared here as well.

poison-spyder.jpg

For those of you who can't see the attached screen shot, here's a quote of what they said...

Poison Spyder Customs, Inc. Hey guys this is Dusty at Poison Spyder. We're not an advertiser at Wayalife.com so I can't respond on the thread over there but maybe Eddie will repost this there. Anyhow here is our official statement on this matter: Yes that is a poor weld and therefore a defective part that made it out of our shop. I am not even going to try to make excuses for it. We have been in contact with the owner of shop that installed it for the Jeep's owner (and who was riding with him at JKX), almost since the day this happened, and they seem to be satisfied with our response and support in this particular case. So the obvious questions that remain are 1. is this typical for that product? 2. what are we doing to correct it and ensure it doesn't happen again? and 3. should current owners of this product be concerned? So let me take those one at a time.

First, no, that poor weld is not typical for our products. Yes we do use a trigger weld technique that some people have questioned. But unlike what some have suggested, its not just a series of tack welds. Our technique is to burn each segment in long and hot, to get proper penetration while pre-heating the metal ahead of the weld. This obviously was not properly done with the broken bracket shown in the photo, which does indeed look like a series of tack welds that didn't penetrate the steel much. We have built over a thousand of these since this specific tire mount bracket was designed, and a failure like this is definitely not typical (I don't know of any other similar failures of this part).

As for number 2, what are we doing to correct it. I have tasked our production manager with pulling all of our completed units back off the shelf and re-inspecting the welds. In addition, we are welding the other (inner) side of the bracket so that it is fully welded on both sides. We are doing this to any units in stock and also making it part of the standard build procedure for this item, for all future runs.

And third, should current owners of this product be concerned. You should always be concerned about the structural components on your Jeep and since there is the evidence in this photo that at least one defective one left our shop, we encourage any current owner of this bracket to inspect theirs closely. If the welds look like they trail off smaller and more spaced out like the one in this photo does along the sides, then it should probably be replaced or beefed up. I'm not going to issue a general recall, but anyone who takes a look at theirs and has a concern is welcome to send us some photos of it and we'll repair or replace it if needed. If you have any further questions you're welcome to email me at dusty@poisonspyder.com since I don't monitor this page.

Finally, I wanted to say for the record we don't see this post as Eddie bashing Poison Spyder. Its true we haven't had the closest relationship with him over the years but in this case he was just reporting what he saw, which legitimately appears to be a failure of a defective part. We appreciate the loyalty of our fans in defending Poison Spyder. But rather than make excuses we'd rather stand up and take our lumps, acknowledge the problem, fix it, and move on.

To Poison Spyder, thank you for your stand up response. In spite of what some may try to suggest, I have always seen you as a stand up company and one that I would NEVER "bash". I appreciate you for seeing this for what it was and for not making any excuses or blaming your customers. As I have stated in the past, this is the ONLY break I have ever seen AND that you were taking care of the customer.

noroad

I just got the following response from Poison Spyder on my Facebook page and felt that it needed to be shared here as well.

View attachment 104834

For those of you who can't see the attached screen shot, here's a quote of what they said...

To Poison Spyder, thank you for your stand up response. In spite of what some may try to suggest, I have always seen you as a stand up company and one that I would NEVER "bash". I appreciate you for seeing this for what it was and for not making any excuses or blaming your customers. As I have stated in the past, this is the ONLY break I have ever seen AND that you were taking care of the customer.

WOW pretty cool!! That is how it should be run! take that teraflex and fanboys!!

JAGS

Hooked

View attachment 104834

Hey Teraflex.... :standing wave: This is how an issue can be handled quickly and properly. Great job PS :thumb: and owners of this carrier, do continue to check out yours.

Top Bottom