My next move..

benatc1

Hooked
So I’m starting to put together plans on getting back into a Jeep, things are set on the home front and this will be a 3rd vehicle for weekends and fun. Made the deal with my wife that this will be the last Jeep I buy for a long time but also that we won’t sell it. My plan is to make my purchase around the beginning of the year and wanted to get some feedback from people on which direction to go, as it seems like I can’t make up my mind. I’m definitely going JL 4door, probably new, I have a few scenarios that I’m contemplating- below but not in any particular order. My plan for this build May be stock for a bit but will go straight to EVO coilovers, 38s, PSC, gears, ect, so I want to start out with a Rubicon, as it will serve our needs without going over bored, plus they are really nice inside and out.

Scenerio 1- 392, can afford but not sure if I want to afford as they are quite pricey. Warranty, no emissions concerns, Would def have to wait longer to build up, but would check a lot more boxes and be a hell of a lot cheaper than a 392 swap down the road if I felt the power itch, which is almost certain. Not 100% sure how I feel about the AWD, would love some feed back, as well as, how reliable a 392 on 38s and factory axles would be.

Scenario 2- Rubicon gas or diesel- savings up front compared to 392, but built with the options I want it’s only like 15k for gasser and 12kish for diesel cheaper. Hesitant on diesel for the issues some have had, def, ect, but I like the power output. I do believe diesel fuel will continue to rise in cost too. Shit, even Cummins is going gas powered lol. I’ve never loved the 3.6, would work great with my planned set up for a while but I’d ultimately want more power as I know I always have before. But either option much more affordable for a while until I decided to swap motor or not.

Scenario 3- pick up a fairly low mileage rubicon gasser/diesel, This will save some money, but we are going black exterior, and wife really wants the brown interior, so do I ditch some of the red, but definitely harder to find. Other negative is we want factory half doors regardless, so we might need a new Jeep to get them. But this scenario would allow for the build pretty much off the bat.

I’ve also tossed the idea of a sport build and going all in, but the lack of luxury items, color matched top/fenders, ect that we went and still being in the 40k range doesn’t make a lot of sense to us.

Sorry for the long post and appreciate the feedback.

WJCO

Meme King
A lot of options for sure. I swore I'd keep my Gladiator stock and then build it big one time with coilovers/40s/60s (just like you mentioned in option 1). Now after having it three years, I don't even get offroad with it. So I've been thinking about just doing a decent lift and 37s and keeping the stock axles. So, I'd say to really look at where you are in life and how much you'd really use it to it's full capability if you're spending some big money.

As far as options 3 goes, I wouldn't unless you get a really good deal. Used vehicles are still selling for more than new in a lot of areas. We still constantly get offers to buy ours for almost 10k over private party value.

benatc1

Hooked
A lot of options for sure. I swore I'd keep my Gladiator stock and then build it big one time with coilovers/40s/60s (just like you mentioned in option 1). Now after having it three years, I don't even get offroad with it. So I've been thinking about just doing a decent lift and 37s and keeping the stock axles. So, I'd say to really look at where you are in life and how much you'd really use it to it's full capability if you're spending some big money.

As far as options 3 goes, I wouldn't unless you get a really good deal. Used vehicles are still selling for more than new in a lot of areas. We still constantly get offers to buy ours for almost 10k over private party value.
That’s another good point about used, prices are pretty crazy. I’d like to keep stock axles either way, run 38s, suspension and know it will take me wherever I want to go. Definitely going to be expensive, but I know it’s where I want to be, but not loving the idea of 20K+ just to run 40s either, At least for now.

WJCO

Meme King
That’s another good point about used, prices are pretty crazy. I’d like to keep stock axles either way, run 38s, suspension and know it will take me wherever I want to go. Definitely going to be expensive, but I know it’s where I want to be, but not loving the idea of 20K+ just to run 40s either, At least for now.
Also, seems like tires have gotten more expensive.

jeeeep

Hooked
I swore I was going to keep the 2018 3.6 JLUR stock since the JKU was serving its intended purpose. It was a night and day driving experience and 2 years later it is now sporting EVO long arms, coil overs, regear and the domino effect of going this route. Sadly, the number of offroad trips hasn't changed like I had hoped.

If I could reverse time I would have kept it stock. The minimal lift with 37's was serving my offroad purposes just fine. The long-arms and coilovers definitely make the trails much easier but, the amount of $$$ invested and being a daily driver keep me from tackling harder trails that have a greater percent of causing damage I don't want to pay for. Thanks to foolish friends, I have seen how expensive aluminum doors are to repair.

Still running the stock axles and happy I didn't upgrade those as planned.

Option 1 would be my choice, who wishes for less power?

benatc1

Hooked
I swore I was going to keep the 2018 3.6 JLUR stock since the JKU was serving its intended purpose. It was a night and day driving experience and 2 years later it is now sporting EVO long arms, coil overs, regear and the domino effect of going this route. Sadly, the number of offroad trips hasn't changed like I had hoped.

If I could reverse time I would have kept it stock. The minimal lift with 37's was serving my offroad purposes just fine. The long-arms and coilovers definitely make the trails much easier but, the amount of $$$ invested and being a daily driver keep me from tackling harder trails that have a greater percent of causing damage I don't want to pay for. Thanks to foolish friends, I have seen how expensive aluminum doors are to repair.

Still running the stock axles and happy I didn't upgrade those as planned.

Option 1 would be my choice, who wishes for less power?
Yea I hear you on all of that, this won’t be a daily for me, but that also is kinda like why spend if you aren’t going to drive much. Ok once met a guy who didn’t wish he had more power, his name was nobody..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I’m starting to put together plans on getting back into a Jeep, things are set on the home front and this will be a 3rd vehicle for weekends and fun. Made the deal with my wife that this will be the last Jeep I buy for a long time but also that we won’t sell it. My plan is to make my purchase around the beginning of the year and wanted to get some feedback from people on which direction to go, as it seems like I can’t make up my mind. I’m definitely going JL 4door, probably new, I have a few scenarios that I’m contemplating- below but not in any particular order. My plan for this build May be stock for a bit but will go straight to EVO coilovers, 38s, PSC, gears, ect, so I want to start out with a Rubicon, as it will serve our needs without going over bored, plus they are really nice inside and out.

Scenerio 1- 392, can afford but not sure if I want to afford as they are quite pricey. Warranty, no emissions concerns, Would def have to wait longer to build up, but would check a lot more boxes and be a hell of a lot cheaper than a 392 swap down the road if I felt the power itch, which is almost certain. Not 100% sure how I feel about the AWD, would love some feed back, as well as, how reliable a 392 on 38s and factory axles would be.

Scenario 2- Rubicon gas or diesel- savings up front compared to 392, but built with the options I want it’s only like 15k for gasser and 12kish for diesel cheaper. Hesitant on diesel for the issues some have had, def, ect, but I like the power output. I do believe diesel fuel will continue to rise in cost too. Shit, even Cummins is going gas powered lol. I’ve never loved the 3.6, would work great with my planned set up for a while but I’d ultimately want more power as I know I always have before. But either option much more affordable for a while until I decided to swap motor or not.

Scenario 3- pick up a fairly low mileage rubicon gasser/diesel, This will save some money, but we are going black exterior, and wife really wants the brown interior, so do I ditch some of the red, but definitely harder to find. Other negative is we want factory half doors regardless, so we might need a new Jeep to get them. But this scenario would allow for the build pretty much off the bat.

I’ve also tossed the idea of a sport build and going all in, but the lack of luxury items, color matched top/fenders, ect that we went and still being in the 40k range doesn’t make a lot of sense to us.

Sorry for the long post and appreciate the feedback.

Unless you're really thinking about wheeling your Jeep hard, I personally would recommend going with Scenario 1. I can almost guarantee you that you'll want to keep it stock or close to it being that it's just so stupid fun to drive as is. Also, as mentioned, IF you decide to sell it in the future, I can also almost guarantee you that you'll be able to sell it for more than you buy it for.

Scenario 2 isn't a bad option IF you think you'll be wheeling it.

Scenario 3 is NOT something I would recommend. Used prices on Jeeps as a whole are just retarded. So not worth it in my opinion.

benatc1

Hooked
Unless you're really thinking about wheeling your Jeep hard, I personally would recommend going with Scenario 1. I can almost guarantee you that you'll want to keep it stock or close to it being that it's just so stupid fun to drive as is. Also, as mentioned, IF you decide to sell it in the future, I can also almost guarantee you that you'll be able to sell it for more than you buy it for.

Scenario 2 isn't a bad option IF you think you'll be wheeling it.

Scenario 3 is NOT something I would recommend. Used prices on Jeeps as a whole are just retarded. So not worth it in my opinion.
So I’ll def be wheeling it, def not as hard as I’d like to think, but I want it to be a good for whatever I want to do with it. Hitting a trail once a month is probably on the high side, but want to do the rubicon more often and wherever else I may go. Want to get out with my dad More for sure. The good news is we’re done growing our family, so time to get back to stuff I’d like to be doing more.

Regardless, 3.6 would leave a lot more to be desired than the 392, even modified. I could see me keeping the 392 fairly stock for some time, if for no reason other than cost, but also being very happy with it, even though I have yet to drive one. Then build it up after a year or 2, (assuming I could make it that long) . I could also look at Xtreme recon edition to get me going. You think 38s would survive on 392 axles?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I’ll def be wheeling it, def not as hard as I’d like to think, but I want it to be a good for whatever I want to do with it. Hitting a trail once a month is probably on the high side, but want to do the rubicon more often and wherever else I may go. Want to get out with my dad More for sure. The good news is we’re done growing our family, so time to get back to stuff I’d like to be doing more.

Regardless, 3.6 would leave a lot more to be desired than the 392, even modified. I could see me keeping the 392 fairly stock for some time, if for no reason other than cost, but also being very happy with it, even though I have yet to drive one. Then build it up after a year or 2, (assuming I could make it that long) . I could also look at Xtreme recon edition to get me going. You think 38s would survive on 392 axles?
Honestly, anything can and will break. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to give 38's a try with a 392. Just drive smart and I bet it'll hold together. As is, the 392 comes with Full-Time 4WD to help preserve the drive train.

benatc1

Hooked
Honestly, anything can and will break. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to give 38's a try with a 392. Just drive smart and I bet it'll hold together. As is, the 392 comes with Full-Time 4WD to help preserve the drive train.
That’s true, every time I think I should bypass the 392, I keep coming back to it. Seems like a great platform

JeepFan

Hooked
I could tell you about my personal experiences with buying, modding and selling Jeeps, but that would only give you nightmares. So I go now!

PS. Get the 392, you can't take it with you. Wait! Don't tell your wife I said that!

Top Bottom