Mistakes you've made while working on your Jeep

Not Buying the Right Tool

I bought and installed a new 1350 driveshaft before driving from NC to PA to hit up Rausch Creek. I followed the instructions, but didn't have a way to measure the in-lbs used on the flange nut. Not wanting to destroy the crush sleeve, I under tightened it. It ended up backing out on my trip back from Rausch which leaked out all the diff fluid and fried my stock locker and destroyed my ring and pinion. That was an expensive lesson!

That one time I installed my Evo leveling kit and lost the bolts to the top of the shocks so I had to drive about 1/2 a mile to the hardware store without them bolted in. Only to find out they had fallen onto the upper coil perch on both sides... [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Love the thread idea! Haha I've gotten myself with forgetting the lights I use to see like on steering parts. I left a rag on my muffler when trying to clean up diff fluid. Little dumb things hahaha

Oh man I did this too. Had just put wrapped headers on a few days before and was cleaning something up one night and forgot my rag on the headers. Caught fire going down the road but luckily it was night so I could see the orange glow on the road. I was quick to the draw and no permanent damage was done. Just replaced one spark plug wire...

Messing up the threads trying to get the rear upper CA frame side bolts on

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

Not on the jeep but, Friday at work I let an apprentice loose on a heavy duty double plate clutch and didn't double check his work. Put the transmission in only to find out something wasn't right. Spent the next day pulling everything back apart and turning the clutch disks the right direction. Luckily I was at work (paid hourly) and therefor getting paid [emoji23]

I was messing with my CJ7 which was burning oil past the valve oil seals so bad, it was fouling the plugs in just a few minutes.

The dumb part was cranking on the starter too long and burned up part of the wiring harness.

It needed a wiring overhaul anyway. It will get done after I get to move home.

I rebuilt the head already.

I snapped off one of the bolt heads for the bolts that hold the OE trailer hitch on then after removing the factory hitch it slipped out of my hand and landed on my foot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Swapped a new transmission into my '74 Bronco - don't need that stupid clutch interlock switch installed... got distracted, told my buddy to fire it up - he leans in the window and starts it - in first gear....

...just missed running over my buddy's foot, busted the hood (which was still propped up) as it dug into the garage door surround on the way out.. dodged the wife's car on the driveway... caught up to it as it hung up on the big snow pile in the front lawn...

...did I mention my 4 year old was strapped in to the passenger seat, ready for a ride...?

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jacked my transmission up to high installng my evo skids and it came of the studs on the crossmember.

Took longer than i care to admit wrestling it back in place 😂

Sent from my SM-G900I using WAYALIFE mobile app

Routinely lifting front of my XJ. Jack not properly placed under front axle. Jeep came crashing down, bending tie rod and track bar, abruptly bringing me out of my stupor!

Went for a test drive after rotating the tires. I had left my phone on the front bumper. Luckily a nice family saw it in the road, picked it up and took it to San Diego for a nice weekend. I got it back the following Monday and it had zero damage. Stupid and lucky at the same time! Score!:doh:

Had to do some work on my old cj7. Needed a timing chain and tensioner. Put the new tensioner in poor the new timing chain on. Closed it all up. Started it up sounded good then made a rather sickening sound of parts going through a grinder. Shut it off quickly. Opened it back up. Realized then i had not putt the bolt back in the tensioner. Chain jumped off and destroyed the chain cogs, and i had to send the heads in to get rebuilt. Needless to say i learned to not let anyone distract me when i was doing this kind of thing ever again.

sent from your basement

Top Bottom