Mistakes you've made while working on your Jeep

WJCO

Meme King
Shit happens. Let's see some mistakes while working on the Jeep. What happened today made me think of a thread like this. Luckily no damage was done. I was working on a re-torque and when I started my engine to move the steering, it was at that time I heard some loud engine noise and realized I had totally forgotten that I had hung my work light on the serpentine belt. Luckily the light hook broke off immediately and the light fell on the ground and still works. It could have been much worse.

LOL!! Great thread. I'll have to give this one some thought as I'm sure I've racked up quite a few dumbass mistakes over the last 25 years or so. :crazyeyes:

I looked on the wrong line, in the catalog at Autozone, and bought the wrong oil filter. They changed in 2014. Started her up, and no oil pressure. Luckily, nothing seemed to be hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just a few days after I painted my CJ5, I had the hood up in the garage and closed the garage door. The arm on the chain put a nice line in my fresh paint. After I walked away I realized what I had done and ran back to the garage by didn't make it in time... still bothers me. Fixed it as best I could but it's there, just above the 3rd slot from the left. IMG_1518.jpg

Great thread. Can't believe we haven't done this one before. How about mistaking inch pounds with foot pounds of torque. Can't remember what bolt it was but it snapped right as I was thinking 'wow this is a lot of torque for a small bolt'.

Just a few days after I painted my CJ5, I had the hood up in the garage and closed the garage door. The arm on the chain put a nice line in my fresh paint. After I walked away I realized what I had done and ran back to the garage by didn't make it in time... still bothers me. Fixed it as best I could but it's there, just above the 3rd slot from the left. View attachment 234174

Similar situation. I like to have the garage door partly down when the sun is setting to keep it out of my eyes. Then get excited that I'm done and want to back the JEEP out of the partially closed door. Loud noises.

I was putting new gears in a Dana 30 and I cross threaded the carrier bolt on one side and broke it in the housing while trying to use an impact to get it out. Definitely a bad and dumb move on my part

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Love the thread idea! Haha I've gotten myself with forgetting the lights I use to see like on steering parts. I left a rag on my muffler when trying to clean up diff fluid. Little dumb things hahaha

Installing smart straps requires drilling a few holes into the door: two smaller bolt holes (white pointers) and one big ass one (black) for the propper mechanism. Pretty straight forward, except I decided to drink a few beers while reading the instructions...ha! I drilled the big hole where the tiny bolt hole was supposed to go! FML

When I had my XJ, I had to replace the radiator. After swapping it out, flushing the system, and filling it with coolant, I went for a ride. One mile down the road coolant was spewing everywhere. I forgot to put the cap on.

put my whole rear suspension back together during my big swap and when I went to put the tires on I realized I put the right/left upper control arms on the wrong side so they bowed out instead of in and tire wouldn't even go on. was a easy fix but very irritating

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I forgot to put a square spacer/washer thing in a slot around one of the upper control arm bolts in my rear axle. Allowed the bolt to slide forwards/backwards in the curved opening left behind every time torque changed. Discovered it when I broke that control arm bolt and felt the axle sliding while coming out of my driveway.

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

When changing the oil once, I pulled the drain plug on the oil pan. Went to get oil filter wrench to change the filter, poured the oil in then fired up the motor. Forgot to put the drain plug back in. Took 10 seconds to realize what I did.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom