Mistakes you've made while working on your Jeep

Yep, been there before!

Putting lift on last week. When you put a ratcheting wrench on the top of the front passenger shock and start tightening it down...it's pulling the bolt up into that tiny little space so you can't get the wrench out. And you can't reverse it because it's a ratcheting wrench. Ended up using a dremel to create some more space before I could pry it out.

View attachment 234194

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

About a month ago I had to replace the pinion seal on my jku's rear axle. To do this you can either take the driveshaft off or just tie it up to a crossmember. I opted to just tie it up but to say the least did not use a sufficient material to hold it up, string. Upon finally getting the seal loose, my seal puller hit the string and the driveshaft fell about a foot and half on to none other than my face. Two chipped teeth and a large amount of blood later, I got that damn seal fixed and it's been fine since. But can't say the same about my teeth...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I welded some gussets on my axle c's and was going to replace the ball joints. Had a hard time getting the bottom one out so I heated it up a little with the torch to loosen it up. Must of gotten a little too hot because the end shot out like a canon ball. Luckily it was pointing down and made a nice chunk in the concrete instead of my head.

IMG_0187.JPGIMG_0186.JPGIMG_0185.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mounted my ARB on board air compressor backwards. Kept looking at it thinking why the hell doesn't this thing fit like it should. Oh duh its backwards!!

Putting lift on last week. When you put a ratcheting wrench on the top of the front passenger shock and start tightening it down...it's pulling the bolt up into that tiny little space so you can't get the wrench out. And you can't reverse it because it's a ratcheting wrench. Ended up using a dremel to create some more space before I could pry it out.

View attachment 234194

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769
Similar issue, while installing rear bumper. Used a ratcheting wrench not realizing once fully tightened the end of the bolt was to close to rear frame cross-member to pull wrench off. Only solution I could think of was grind an open wrench thinner to fit the space. Drove to harbor freight with that damn wrench dangling down, just to buy a cheap sacrificial wrench.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Installing new shocks last month, got my rachet wrench stuck on the top of the passenger side front shock under the battery tray. Was able to trim part of the battery tray to get it out and make future installs/removals easier. Got in such a rush to finish the project before I lost the light out that I fogot my black phone was lying on the black pavement in front of my passenger side front tire. Finished the install, drove off to see how well my new shocks rode and returned home only to find a shattered Galaxy in front of the driveway! First time a shock swap required an extra Coors.

Another FUBAR moment, and possibly my worst, was actually on my previous 4x4. Wasn't a Jeep, but I replaced the brake lines on my old Explorer after a solid axle swap and inadvertently put power steering fluid in the reservoir, didn't realize it until I lost my brakes and cruised through a red light two days later, the PS fluid had turned a rubber gasket inside my brake booster to jelly it could no longer push the fluid in the lines. Thankfully nobody was coming through that intersection and I didn't hurt someone else. I have since separated all my fluids in my fluid cabinet with baskets that have BIG ASS signs on the front.

Ok, not my Jeep and I wasn't gonna post this, but... So I was in a big damn hurry as usual yesterday morning and went to add washer fluid in my Durango. I had added bout 3 cups into my coolant reservoir instead before I heard the little man upstairs yelling "THATS THE COOLANT RESERVOIR ASSHOLE!" :eek:

*SIGH* drove the Jeep to work instead & had to suck reservoir out with my little portable pump that evening...

When I installed coilovers and long arms several years ago, got it all back together but couldn't bleed the air out of the brake lines no matter how hard we tried. Gave up and took it to the dealer thinking we somehow got air into the ABS.

Nope. Had the left/right rear calipers swapped. Should have been obvious...

Dave

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom