Mistakes you've made while working on your Jeep

When i first got my jeep in 2010 it came with a high jack, didn't think much of it as I had not even done more than think jeeps are cool so had no idea what it was. Fast forward a week, I got my first flat tire so I used the high jack in the driveway to switch them. Well the high jack slipped out and dug into the door leaving a giant cut in the door lol.
By far my dumbest moment.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I installed my rear lower control arms backwards. Luckily a few members that were following my build thread pointed it out to me! That prevented me from damaging anything and correcting it.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

Was in a big damn hurry getting my winch line installed before it got dark. That damn little key that holds the line in the drum on the Zeons is a real PITA, even more so when you're in a hurry. Got it installed and looked down....ummm, yeah, the line is supposed to go THROUGH the hawse...

After putting BRAND NEW gears in my rear axle, had everything buttoned up and was about to fill it with fluid and take it for a drive when a buddy of mine stopped by with food. Obviously food is far more important then diff fluid, so after eating, and not remembering that I hadn't filled the axle yet, I went for a drive. I didn't get very far......

Or maybe the time my hacksaw got caught in my fender, and in the process of trying to force it out, it went flying out, somehow missed me, but sliced a brake line.

Or maybe the time I forgot to change the location of the brake lines doing the front axle swap and on the first flex test it got tangled in the driveshaft and ripped all the brake lines out from the booster down.

Or maybe the time that I was refilling the booster and grabbed the wrong bottle blindly and filled it with power steering fluid instead.

Don't let me do your brakes.

While putting a lift on my rubi: had it on a lift, rear axle ready to droop, started raising jeep slowly to make sure we didn't forget anything, and was looking good so kept going up - then out of the blue SNAP!.... forgot to unplug the locker wiring harness and it ripped the actuator wiring out; including cracking the connector. Locker power itself was spared.

Putting lift on last week. When you put a ratcheting wrench on the top of the front passenger shock and start tightening it down...it's pulling the bolt up into that tiny little space so you can't get the wrench out. And you can't reverse it because it's a ratcheting wrench. Ended up using a dremel to create some more space before I could pry it out.

IMG_20161203_123108.jpg

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

After putting BRAND NEW gears in my rear axle, had everything buttoned up and was about to fill it with fluid and take it for a drive when a buddy of mine stopped by with food. Obviously food is far more important then diff fluid, so after eating, and not remembering that I hadn't filled the axle yet, I went for a drive. I didn't get very far......

Hmmmm. I kind of dismissed this tag that came with my axle as a little 'safety overkill.' It may be wise for me to put it on the steering wheel, lol. I could see myself doing that too.

1212160713.jpg

Recently, had to swap out the exhaust gasket between the "header" and the head on my 2012. For some reason I could not figure it out so I was unbolting all the exhaust shields trying to get to the last bolt, lost one on my friends gravel drive way.

Now I have an annoying little rattle that only I know about and it reminds me of failure every time I hear it.

On a side note the pentistar is a weird exhaust set up with the collector built in the head and a single exhaust port, and instead of bolting to the block with 4 bolts there is a clamp on the bottom. Hurts my brain thinking thinking about, damn engineers.

The time when I was installing my coilovers and trimming the battery tray....all the plastic looks the same untill you cut into your battery and the fluid goes all over you, the driveway, and your jeep....fun times when its a brand new jeep :doh:

How many times I have driven off for a test drive only to discover that I left a whole host of tools and Coke cans on the bumper. :doh:

The time I was changing my fluids, it was the transmissions turn and just as i was getting the last bolt out the jeep settled on the jack stands and I got a face full of transmission fluid.... forgot to release the jack tension. For the record, tranny fluid tastes like shit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom