Irish Build Thread

Ddays

Hooked
I thought Motech was pretty solid. But based on this and what others have chimed in with IDK. I just bought a 241OR Tcase off of these guys and I can honestly say that it was the hardest money I've ever spent with any company.
Over 10 emails and phone calls were made before I could complete the sale. I asked for tracking - nothing. It showed up with no packing slip and I got no receipt. Granted, this is not an engine swap but what I spent on the Tcase was pure profit for these guys and they seemed like they couldn't be bothered. Shame.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I don't have any personal experience with Motech so I can't chime in on that point. I will say, however, that parasitic draw is not uncommon in Jeeps (even without motor swaps) and especially in any vehicle that has aftermarket electrical components of any kind. If I was you, I'd try to figure out where the draw was coming from and I would take the twenty seconds to disconnect my battery if I wasn't going to drive my Jeep for several days. Hell, you could put a battery disconnect right at the battery so you don't even have to hassle with breaking out your tools. (Also not a bad security device for an expensive Jeep like yours, especially if you have a locking hood).

If you are having issues specific to the actual swap, I certainly hope Motech resolves those issues.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Sure, the point is to make sure it’s fixed BUT in the meantime why not save yourself money and the hassle of having to constantly swap batteries, cause they died, by just disconnecting it? Makes more sense to me then always having to run around to get the jeep up and running each time you wanna use it.

Because I keep being told a new unit should be on the way any day now and it’s just a couple minutes to swap of the computers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I thought Motech was pretty solid. But based on this and what others have chimed in with IDK. I just bought a 241OR Tcase off of these guys and I can honestly say that it was the hardest money I've ever spent with any company.
Over 10 emails and phone calls were made before I could complete the sale. I asked for tracking - nothing. It showed up with no packing slip and I got no receipt. Granted, this is not an engine swap but what I spent on the Tcase was pure profit for these guys and they seemed like they couldn't be bothered. Shame.

Same here, I thought they were solid and it seemed to start that way, but has diverged. Along similar lines, I was quite surprised to pick up at the completion of the swap, and receive absolutely ZERO paperwork. No paperwork on products, including a brand new GM crate LS3, no paperwork on user guides or service intervals etc.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I don't have any personal experience with Motech so I can't chime in on that point. I will say, however, that parasitic draw is not uncommon in Jeeps (even without motor swaps) and especially in any vehicle that has aftermarket electrical components of any kind. If I was you, I'd try to figure out where the draw was coming from and I would take the twenty seconds to disconnect my battery if I wasn't going to drive my Jeep for several days. Hell, you could put a battery disconnect right at the battery so you don't even have to hassle with breaking out your tools. (Also not a bad security device for an expensive Jeep like yours, especially if you have a locking hood).

If you are having issues specific to the actual swap, I certainly hope Motech resolves those issues.

I agree, constant draw is just a fact of life in all modern cars. Thing is this is drawing way too much, way too fast and no accessories have been changed since the swap. Everything has been tested and disconnected since and nothing has been found to draw leaving on the Motech harness. To be honest, previously I could previously leave the Jeep for a month or two or more and it would fire right up.

I understand everyone’s response to just disconnect the battery in some shape or form but it’s not the point on what is a not insignificant vehicle investment that should be sorted out properly. Motech has already said they believe it is an issue on their end, but they can’t seem to figure out how to get it fixed for me is the disappointing fact. Had I known all along, that it would be two months to get the new units in (that would still be a horrible response), I may have decided to try and find some extra slack in the cables so they could be disconnected more easily, but that is not what the information has been.

With the recent overheating issues, the only response was, you have lights and a winch in front so that’s the problem. Basically, nope, no way it was or could have been anything on our end, end of conversation.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I agree, constant draw is just a fact of life in all modern cars. Thing is this is drawing way too much, way too fast and no accessories have been changed since the swap. Everything has been tested and disconnected since and nothing has been found to draw leaving on the Motech harness. To be honest, previously I could previously leave the Jeep for a month or two or more and it would fire right up.

I understand everyone’s response to just disconnect the battery in some shape or form but it’s not the point on what is a not insignificant vehicle investment that should be sorted out properly. Motech has already said they believe it is an issue on their end, but they can’t seem to figure out how to get it fixed for me is the disappointing fact. Had I known all along, that it would be two months to get the new units in (that would still be a horrible response), I may have decided to try and find some extra slack in the cables so they could be disconnected more easily, but that is not what the information has been.

With the recent overheating issues, the only response was, you have lights and a winch in front so that’s the problem. Basically, nope, no way it was or could have been anything on our end, end of conversation.

LoL...

You have lights and a winch which were on the vehicle when the swap was done... and that's the obvious problem but no one brought it up to you? Haha, bullshit on their end with an obvious not our problem response.

Ohhh and sorry with a V8 you can't have a winch... blocks too much air flow... but that was probably in the documentation which you were never given lol.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck/experience. At least they made a nice video of your jeep on the trail to use as promotional material and get more business while not resolving your issues.

MOTECH

Sorry about your issues. MoTech pioneered the LS(and LT) JK swaps. With new tech comes new issues and we learn from it. I've never been one to dodge the bullet so I will try and address your concerns.

On the early CAN modules with some operating systems the the JK CAN network did not power down properly which caused a draw. This has been addressed with a firmware update and the draw has been eliminated. You are on the list to get a replacement module and I apologize it has taken so long they are in short supply. We have 50 coming in with some improvements including customer programmable features which I feel you should get.

We run a throw away filter with the conversion as standard. The customer has the choice to replace it with any 3.5" dual cone shorty they prefer. This filter works well for general use but for severe conditions a K&N with a sock or ultimately a snorkel would be a better choice just as with a stock JK filter. In dusty conditions the oiled filter will need to be cleaned regularly and due to the cost is not disposable.

We pioneered PWM fans in the JK and we support several variations. PWM fans are powerful and cool well but have limitations. A PWM fan has a duty cycle that if it is exceeded will cause the fan to go into a thermal shutdown. In a heavy JK the PWM fan can only run so long so hard before it will shut down so it is very important to keep airflow through the grille. You may not recall but we discussed this, at 75-80 mph with obstructions in front of the grille the airflow is deflected away from the grille and over the hood. In this scenario at some point a thermal shutdown will occur and you will have to wait for it too cool off. Like any other V8 conversion the grille must remain open to allow adequate airflow. Sink the winch or whatever you have to do to keep airflow adequate.

MoTech is based on making our customers happy, money is second. We make mistakes and do our best to correct them. While our response time is not the fastest it will get done. Over the last decade we have upgraded an upgraded our older builds at no cost to the customer. A V8 conversion is complex and has many potential points of failure. Your build had many interferences which did add to the build time and you were not charged for giving us the extra time. Your JK ran good and it will run better when we get an updated tune in it after break in.

We rarely see transmission leaks it is usually the transfer case that leaks. In many cases when the front input seal is removed the bore is scratched and if not smoothed out and sealed it will leak even with a new seal, we see this all the time. If that is the case it will be fixed.

As the originator of the LS JK swap we have over 300 on the road currently. I believe the vast majority of our customers can attest to the after sales support we offer. The issues you have are known and correctable and again I wish we responded faster. As far as getting more airflow into your grille or running a different filter we can help you with that. Overall the package is solid, for running in extreme conditions like silty, dusty roads, or at 80mph with airflow blocked mods can be made to accommodate.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sorry to hear man, especially since this sounds extremely familiar. I used their swap, but if you look at the LS builder page on our website you’ll notice it’s not them. There’s a reason for that but I’m not going to go into any more detail than needs be.

At this point you’re better off just saying the issues that you had with them rather than beating around the bush. The subtle jabs are more shitty than just saying the issues.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
LoL...

You have lights and a winch which were on the vehicle when the swap was done... and that's the obvious problem but no one brought it up to you? Haha, bullshit on their end with an obvious not our problem response.

Ohhh and sorry with a V8 you can't have a winch... blocks too much air flow... but that was probably in the documentation which you were never given lol.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck/experience. At least they made a nice video of your jeep on the trail to use as promotional material and get more business while not resolving your issues.

Lol....

In Robbie’s defense, he did state his opinion that lights and winches block too much airflow from almost day 1 of talking to him. But that is one of the reasons I elected to go with the biggest and best radiator possible and the best fan setup possible and a tried and true aluminum block LS for the best possible chances of running cool. And it was absolutely solid up until one hill two weekends ago. We cruised up the Baker grade chasing Overlander in his wife’s stock JK at well over traffic speed without the temps moving an inch. We the weekend in Nevada with you guys without it moving at all.

My believe is that there was an air bubble during the radiator initial fill that didn’t cause any issues until we finally put a little load on it and it locked the coolant system, because we were almost two gallons low and definitely did not loose much more than a liter before we shut it down. In regards to the fan, as far as I can tell, it never stopped working.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I hear more bad about them than good.

Even if they are on here...if their forum activity is anything like their customer service, he’ll never get a response...

Hahaha!!! Excellent.

What are your personal experiences with Motech? Have you done any business with them or contacted them? Let’s hear factual information from personal experience rather than just what Bubba has told you.

tdougherty81

What are your personal experiences with Motech? Have you done any business with them or contacted them? Let’s hear factual information from personal experience rather than just what Bubba has told you.

I personally have 3 friends with swaps with them and they all say the same damn thing. So when the time comes I will choose to do business elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G892U using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Fuck no I dont and I will never have to experience their wonderful customer service.

Sent from my SM-G892U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exactly. I’ve heard enough to make me want to find another solution. Didn’t have to be personal to me.

That’s also pretty cool information but again, not relevant to any of this nor is it actual information.

Jackal01

Right because it makes complete sense that I should spend $20,000 on a motor swap in order to form my own opinion about them. I have seen Bubba's issues first hand regardless. I traveled multiple times, prior to the Texas Exodus trip last year, to his place (3 hours away) for him to work on my rig while Warpig was on jack stands due to Motech issues. Not to mention another shop in Houston uses them and they have also had issues from what I have heard, not seen for myself. Talk to Bubba if you need absolute specific issues as I have forgotten but some of them related to mocan and electronics IIRC.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Right because it makes complete sense that I should spend $20,000 on a motor swap in order to form my own opinion about them. I have seen Bubba's issues first hand regardless. I traveled multiple times, prior to the Texas Exodus trip last year, to his place (3 hours away) for him to work on my rig while Warpig was on jack stands due to Motech issues. Not to mention another shop in Houston uses them and they have also had issues from what I have heard, not seen for myself. Talk to Bubba if you specific issues as I have forgotten but some of them related to mocan and electronics IIRC.

So if Motech is so shitty maybe someone should have posted up their issues before and not hide out until someone else has the balls to say something then like on.

Top Bottom